Interviewer went berserk on me

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    Nookie5 wrote: »
    I made up an excuse to withdraw my application. He doesn't know I never intended to work there.

Of course he knows. I've interview hundreds of people and no one has ever withdrawn straight after interview. If it happened I'd assume I'd been messed around even if wasn't sure why.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In addition you took up an interview space that could have went to someone desperate for the job, nice one.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Personally, I don't believe a word of it. This is someone who has apparently been sacked for photocopying their passport and who previously worked in security at an airport but merely stood around 'looking cool' all day - yeah right
  • Nookie5
    Nookie5 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Personally, I don't believe a word of it. This is someone who has apparently been sacked for photocopying their passport and who previously worked in security at an airport but merely stood around 'looking cool' all day - yeah right

When you get sacked you don't blindly apply for jobs. Of course you want interview experience. Looking cool wasn't the official job description. Sums it up though.
  • shortcrust wrote: »
    Of course he knows. I've interview hundreds of people and no one has ever withdrawn straight after interview. If it happened I'd assume I'd been messed around even if wasn't sure why.

I've withdrawn during interview on more than one occasion. Never straight after, only because the last questions are usually along the lines of whether you are still interested, at which point I would have said no if I wasn't. I can easily see a situation arising where I am not entirely sure and after thinking about it decide against, though. Interviews are a two way process, unless you are interviewing the desperate.
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I reckon Nookie5 is EatLess reincarnated.
  • It's interesting reading these responses because as a jobseeker I've been told time and time again by tutors, friends, relatives, colleagues etc...

"ALWAYS go to the interview, even if you don't want it! Go for the practice."

I have always ignored this advice because I despise job interviews so I have no desire to go through one without actually wanting a job, but the idea that you should attend without real intent is quite widespread (in the education sector anyway).
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    shortcrust wrote: »

That would never occur to me, I'd assume that the interview experience had in some way changed the applicant's mind about wanting to work there.

It's certainly happened to me that something sounded great but the interview proved it would certainly not be!
  • Nookie5
    Nookie5 Posts: 25 Forumite
    It's interesting reading these responses because as a jobseeker I've been told time and time again by tutors, friends, relatives, colleagues etc...

"ALWAYS go to the interview, even if you don't want it! Go for the practice."

I have always ignored this advice because I despise job interviews so I have no desire to go through one without actually wanting a job, but the idea that you should attend without real intent is quite widespread (in the education sector anyway).

Finally! People who understands and agrees with me!
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    The interview is just as much for the interviewee to find out about the employer as vice versa. If the fit had been fab, maybe the OP would have taken the job! It's totally out of order to rant at someone for withdrawing their application!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure