Wedding/dealing with mother

Comments

• GlasweJen wrote: »
    We're using family rings, great grandparents wedding rings from either side - something old.

New wedding dress bought in the sale (loved it at first sight) - something new.

Borrowing my sisters veil but I've added "pearls" to it to make it match my dress more (she knows) - something borrowed.

Nothing blue lol! Don't go in for that really.

I saw some lovely antique-y veils on Etsy that I was tempted to buy but seemed a waste when there are 3 in various lofts in the family. I'd check them out, definitely cheaper than a bridal shop.

Yes I'm on the spectrum, so are 2 of my nieces but I don't think it's that. More that I'm not a delicate little girl like my sisters and if she visits me at home she's more likely to find me in joggers and a hoody than in a matching outfit with make up.
    Also being on the spectrum myself, is it possibly because were (Non NT people) not as mouldable/manipulated and your sisters are? I myself had a strained relationship with my mother, it most certainly was a control thing, she also was on the spectrum, both sides wanting a certain amount of contro,l both sides annoyed by the other, and both with a totally annoying habit of saying extacly what we though with no thought of tact for the other.
    Maybe your mothers on the spectrum too?
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is the big day today?

If so have a beautiful day and make many happy memories
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Is the big day today?

I don't think it is, Glaswejen posted this on 1st March:
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I got engaged 17 months ago and we are getting married in a couple of weeks. Invitations went out in January and we sent save the dates out December 2015 when we booked the venue.
    But I think most - if not all - of us wish her a happy day, whenever it is. :)
    And I hope the stress levels have reduced since she first posted.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    It's unfortunate that "the family" didn't get any of the wedding stuff through, I posted it all to aunt X at Y address as this was the only address I had for them, it's the address we used for sisters wedding.

A minor point really, but in future I would ring/text/email your relatives to get their address if you want to send them something. It's more polite and respectful.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is the big day today?

No I'm getting married when Scotland play Italy (got my priorities right there)! But thank you. We have had to finalise a lot of things at this stage as I'm getting therapy through a drip for a week so won't be any use for this week or most of the week after.
    A minor point really, but in future I would ring/text/email your relatives to get their address if you want to send them something. It's more polite and respectful.

I dont have their number and apparently neither did mum until she pulled it out the sky during the week.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    This is why we got married in Cyprus!

Only twelve people were at the wedding and it was brilliant

As for your Mum, she sounds like an absolute !!!!!. Why do you even care about her? You say your relationship with her has never been very close. Bin her off, and the ignorant cousins who did'nt RSVP. Who the hell do they think they are!

Your life will be no worse off without these people in it. You need to look after number one or your big day will be a big regret for the rest of your life
  • Hope you're OK Jen and your mother has backed off a bit. Much love!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite

I dont have their number and apparently neither did mum until she pulled it out the sky during the week.

Facebook? Ring the relative you do have contact details for and ask for the addresses? If you have literally no way of getting in touch yo find out the correct address to send the invite to rather than giving it to their mum like they're still kids, then I'd wonder why you were inviting them in the first place when you clearly have no contact or relationship!

Mind you, it doesn't really matter now, not like you'll be sending out wedding invitations again!
  • glaswejen

Hope you have / had a brilliant day regardless of the trials & tribulations you've gone through.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    glaswejen

Hope you have / had a brilliant day regardless of the trials & tribulations you've gone through.
    You're right - it's today!
    No I'm getting married when Scotland play Italy (got my priorities right there)! But thank you.
    Best wishes & hope your day is perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport