Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Hi, can anyone please help clarify repayment information?
    My son is a seasonal worker in Norway and although he earns over the monthly threshold, he is way below the annual threshold; having read about repayments it would appear that he needs to repay for these months, but if his annual pay is below the threshold he can then repay any money paid. Is this correct? As we have been disputing sums and they appear to refuse to send any letters he has not paid anything but is due to repay £504 for the 4 months that he has worked. Will he then be able to reclaim this amount?
    Thank you
  • I was just wondering if any person who is knowledgeable with student loans and grants can help me.
    My partner is my sponsor and her income has been assessed for the current financial year. We have been awarded the full student maintenance loan because she earns under 25k. We have also been given a childcare grant (2 children) and parental learning allowance.

The problem I have is I could be starting a part time job, just between 12-20 hours per week within the same current year.

The question I have is… will my current year income need to be reassessed? Could what I earn be then taken away from my childcare grant and parental learning allowance? And is there an allowance I could earn without it affecting these grants?

I just don’t want to start a part time job and end up in a worse financial situation or to work for nothing.

Thanks in advance.
  • So in a nutshell, was due to enroll on a degree course this week but have opted to defer and complete an apprenticeship to build my confidence! where does this leave me regards student finance?
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes
  • I was a student between 2007 and 2011 and have an associated student loan which I've been paying off via PAYE since but I currently find myself in an interesting situation and SLC's call centre hasn't been very useful. Any help will be much appreciated.

I was made redundant in June 2015. I received my normal salary in April (circa £4k) and May (circa £4k) then significantly more in June (statutory redundancy £1.4k, pay in lieu of notice period £12.5k, holiday pay £2k). For the remainder of the financial year I had no income. My annual salary for the financial year ending April 2016 is approx £22k depending on what is classed by SLC as salary.

I paid £224 towards my student loan in April, £224 again in May and £1,123 in June, a total of £1,571 for the 2015/16 financial year.

I believe I should have paid 9% of what I earn above £17,335.
    22,000 – 17,335 = 4,665

9% of 4,665 = £419.85

I should have paid about £420, yet I paid £1,571, an overpayment of approx £1,150. Am I correct? And am I able to reclaim this? SLC's call centre said, as I was paid monthly, my liability was calculated on a monthly basis and therefore there wasn't an overpayment and I wouldn't be able to get this returned. If I can't get this refunded I've in affect paid 34% of what I earned above the annual allowance!

As of much lower concern, despite paying my contributions at the start of the financial year my payments have been applied equally each month, this results in too much interest being charged throughout the year. Is there a way to get this corrected? I believe the difference is currently £20 or so but given that interest will be charged on this I'm keen to get it fixed.

Any help will be fantastic!
    Thanks
  • I created a spread sheet to enable my financially-literate daughter to check her small student loan. By coincidence, today I received her latest statement as at April 6th this year and, after obtaining her approval I opened it.

I am a retired financial professional so I was extremely surprised to discover the way that the SLC calculates interest on her pre 2012 loan. Interest is applied monthly to the balance at the previous April 6th anniversary and the total annual repayment is applied to the balance at March 31st. This is clearly contrary to normal practice as the monthly repayments should be applied currently and interest applied only to the reduced balance.

It may be that the SLC loan agreement provides for this method but I am surprised that I have seen no reference to this subject in MSE forums although I confess that I have not examined all of the possible forum subjects with a fine-tooth comb.

Am I the only person to question this practice?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mallock91 wrote: »
    I created a spread sheet to enable my financially-literate daughter to check her small student loan. By coincidence, today I received her latest statement as at April 6th this year and, after obtaining her approval I opened it.

I am a retired financial professional so I was extremely surprised to discover the way that the SLC calculates interest on her pre 2012 loan. Interest is applied monthly to the balance at the previous April 6th anniversary and the total annual repayment is applied to the balance at March 31st. This is clearly contrary to normal practice as the monthly repayments should be applied currently and interest applied only to the reduced balance.

It may be that the SLC loan agreement provides for this method but I am surprised that I have seen no reference to this subject in MSE forums although I confess that I have not examined all of the possible forum subjects with a fine-tooth comb.

Am I the only person to question this practice?

When SLC credit the repayment for the previous tax year, interest is adjusted to calculate as if the repayment was received on the last day of each calendar month, with the total repayment amount divided into 12 equal monthly installments.

This is provided for by regulation 17(c)(i) of the Education (Student Loans) (Repayment) Regulations 2009:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/470/regulation/17/made
  • As a parent of twins who are both planning to go to uni sept 2017 im trying to do some advanced planning/damage limitation.

DH and I run a small business which is a limited company and we are the only shareholders/directors. Our turnover is already down this financial year compared to year end april 16 so i understand we can opt for current year assessment and would need to get our accounts done quickly after end of april 17 for consideration.
    I also understand that dividends are classed as income for SL purposes and I know that our dividends will be lower this year than last.
    I have read on here that we can reduce our 'income' by making additional pension contributions. Is this the case as we would like to get our income as low as possible so that both our children can get additional bursaries/grants to help with their finances?
    Also, if we leave money (ie profits) invested in our limited company then presumably they don't count as income. Our company would then pay Corporation tax on them and we could draw them out in future years? Would they then count as 'income'?
    Sorry if I have this completely wrong but we are only in our second year of Ltd co.
    Many thanks

SuzieQueue
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    suzieQueue wrote: »
    As a parent of twins who are both planning to go to uni sept 2017 im trying to do some advanced planning/damage limitation.

DH and I run a small business which is a limited company and we are the only shareholders/directors. Our turnover is already down this financial year compared to year end april 16 so i understand we can opt for current year assessment and would need to get our accounts done quickly after end of april 17 for consideration.
    I also understand that dividends are classed as income for SL purposes and I know that our dividends will be lower this year than last.
    I have read on here that we can reduce our 'income' by making additional pension contributions. Is this the case as we would like to get our income as low as possible so that both our children can get additional bursaries/grants to help with their finances?
    Also, if we leave money (ie profits) invested in our limited company then presumably they don't count as income. Our company would then pay Corporation tax on them and we could draw them out in future years? Would they then count as 'income'?
    Sorry if I have this completely wrong but we are only in our second year of Ltd co.
    Many thanks

SuzieQueue

Students no longer get grants from student finance, only additional loans.

If you are earning the money by taking it as income (as salary or dividends), it will count towards the assessment.
  • Thanks Lokolo,

Sorry I meant extra grants and bursaries which are given out by the universities for low income students, not SLC.

I will get my accountant to investigate the pension situation further as well as leaving money in our business.
  • I was a student between 2007 and 2011 and have an associated student loan which I've been paying off via PAYE since but I currently find myself in an interesting situation and SLC's call centre hasn't been very useful. Any help will be much appreciated.

I was made redundant in June 2015. I received my normal salary in April (circa £4k) and May (circa £4k) then significantly more in June (statutory redundancy £1.4k, pay in lieu of notice period £12.5k, holiday pay £2k). For the remainder of the financial year I had no income. My annual salary for the financial year ending April 2016 is approx £22k depending on what is classed by SLC as salary.

I paid £224 towards my student loan in April, £224 again in May and £1,123 in June, a total of £1,571 for the 2015/16 financial year.

I believe I should have paid 9% of what I earn above £17,335.
    22,000 – 17,335 = 4,665

9% of 4,665 = £419.85

I should have paid about £420, yet I paid £1,571, an overpayment of approx £1,150. Am I correct? And am I able to reclaim this? SLC's call centre said, as I was paid monthly, my liability was calculated on a monthly basis and therefore there wasn't an overpayment and I wouldn't be able to get this returned. If I can't get this refunded I've in affect paid 34% of what I earned above the annual allowance!

As of much lower concern, despite paying my contributions at the start of the financial year my payments have been applied equally each month, this results in too much interest being charged throughout the year. Is there a way to get this corrected? I believe the difference is currently £20 or so but given that interest will be charged on this I'm keen to get it fixed.

Any help will be fantastic!
    Thanks

Is anyone able to help me with this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family