PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making it (or buying it) old style

This will be no surprise to many, but apparantly the statistics for bread in Europe are:

(Craft being traiditional bakery bread, non craft being factory made, often by the Chorleywood Process - for more information see http://www.fraw.org.uk/pubs/frb/frb-04_01.pdf it's pdf, so you will need adobe acrobat reader or similar.

Country......Craft......Non-craft

Italy...............90%.......10%
Austria..........80%.......20%
Germany........65%..........35%
Belgium..........59%..........41%
Denmark........49%..........51%
Netherlands...21%.........79%
UK....................3%..........97%

If you read the article, the way that industrial bread is produced means more yeast is used for a longer rise time, and the grain is ground in such a way as to make it less nutrionally beneficial. This type of bread has been implicated in increasing yeast and wheat intolerances, and problems such as IBS.

I'm probably preaching to the converted when I say that we should use local shops and bakeries, and make our own....

BTW, the new sd253 has made one wholemeal load and one white loaf so far, and I am very ipressed with both :D

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This is no surprise to me.Thank goodness I have the time and inclination to make all my family's bread -strictly 'craft'.

I sometimes think that in Britain we just don't 'get' what good food is:confused:
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Since buying my Pani I can honestly say my IBS has virtually disappeared. I had one sandwich the other day at a friends which had been made using a 'quality' shop loaf. Noticed the differnce in taste of course, but thought no more of it until later that eve when my IBS played up so bad I had pains in my shoulder (it travels upward with me). I had realised that the 'cheap' bread did this to me, but had no idea that the 'good' stuff did too!
    Interesting thread Trow - and glad your pani is proving its worth!
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure