Can I resign while on sick leave?

2»

Comments

• A resignation in unpressurised circumstances will deprive you of certain welfare benefits for up to 6 months.

If you have another job lined up, or can depend on the support of friends and family this may not be a problem.

If you are resigning due to the unreasonable behaviour of your employer you can argue that your resignation was forced. You could say that an employee is not expected to accept the treatment you received and that a reasonable employer would not have behaved in the way your employer did with you. A resignation in these circumstances is called a constructive dismisal.

If constructive dismissal is the reason for your resignation you can still resign and be entitled to welfare benefits.

It would be in your interests to let your employer know now that the root cause of your illness is the treatment they subjected you to and your fear that if you return it will continue.
  • hr100
    hr100 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Hi everybody, thanks for all of your replies.

I think I'm going to try and get another sick note, with everything that's going on in my family now I don't think the GP will refuse.
    I sent in my second sick note to work this morning and haven't heard anything from them at all. You'd think they'd at least give me a quick call or email seeing as this is my 6th week off and I'm signed off for another 4!! Weird.

Nevermind. Thanks again for all your replies :)

Can I suggest you change your username if that is your real name
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    second hr100s reply. as to work - let sleeping dogs lie there. but i really would contact CAB trustees and tell them what is going on. you have nothing to lose. the worst they can do is give you notice! You have my sympathy hun with all thats going on in family.........and work! try to stay positive and keep us all informed when you have time. and if you just need to talk, vent or whatever PM me.
  • rh41
    rh41 Posts: 77 Forumite
    tandraig wrote: »
    second hr100s reply. as to work - let sleeping dogs lie there. but i really would contact CAB trustees and tell them what is going on. you have nothing to lose. the worst they can do is give you notice! You have my sympathy hun with all thats going on in family.........and work! try to stay positive and keep us all informed when you have time. and if you just need to talk, vent or whatever PM me.

I work as an HR manager for a very large company. If i was you bring a formal grievance in writing to the trustees they have to investigate. In writing what u want and whats been going on. Factual no emotion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure