Mortgage free by 2021?!

Comments

• Have been browsing other DFW/MFW threads and signed up for various survey websites. Mathematically not worth it time/wage-wise for me, but I'm on the computer 12-14 hours/day and take breaks to surf the web anyway, may as well earn money doing it. :) (Plus I like answering questions, so win.)

Have signed up for a Nationwide account to get the 5% on 2.5k. Will add TSB next week, probably - waiting on our refinance to officially be processed this week before I pile on tons of accounts/credit checks.

Looking on track to have £74.90 in budget tidying to OP on the 1st. That relies on no more grocery shopping this month, but I think we can manage. I'm having surgery on Fri so will likely be home all next week, will have to see what I can make meal-wise (DH usually does the cooking, I'm more of a baker).
  • Finally listed something on eb@y that has been sitting around the house for months. Got £27.14 for it after fees, so made a corresponding OP to the mortgage (still need to ship it, but that'll come out of our misc expenses fund).

Santander's also been paying our interest before the end of the month, so that's £29.76 available to OP.

Can't wait until Thursday when the budget tidying can go in - looking at £64.90 (DH bought some groceries this weekend after all ;), which I'm sure I'll appreciate next week when I'm home from work).
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2015 at 11:58AM
    MSE day today. :)

Switched life insurance to a decreasing rather than fixed term (also lowered the amount to reflect our mortgage balance), should save almost £6/mo and get £80 cashback (in May?!). Decreasing term should be more than enough as it decreases over 12 years (our new fix has a term of 11 years 9 months) and we'll be massively OPing as well. Just in case I added a bit on to it so that if it did pay out (hope not!) the surviving spouse should be OK for a year without working (probably more once the mortgage is gone), just for the peace of mind.

Also ditched BG's home care plan in favour of a boiler-only cover which should save over £15/mo (plus £21 cashback). We have forced air heating, which most plans don't want to cover anyway. Our heater's only 10-15 years old, but we've also talked about upgrading it (for energy efficiency and to add aircon functionality), so that would be our backup plan if it did go kaput.

Think the only thing left to switch is home insurance in December - next summer our internet contract will be up, so may switch then (actually been pretty happy with +net, once we got our own router).
  • Hi hiddenshadow, looks like you're doing very well and have sensible plans. Your financial situation is quite similar to mine and DH's so we'll be in the same boat once we (hopefully) complete our planned house move!

We too would love to sell up and move area eventually, the only bonus of living in the expensive South East is that with luck one day we will be MF and able to sell up and cash in.
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: £1,852.64/£39,200 (4.7%)
  • Hi hiddenshadow, looks like you're doing very well and have sensible plans. Your financial situation is quite similar to mine and DH's so we'll be in the same boat once we (hopefully) complete our planned house move!

Thanks! It's much easier to plan things now that DH is on board - not that he objected before, but he doesn't really think about saving money as a rule, once he finds something he's happy to keep paying for it indefinitely. :p
    We too would love to sell up and move area eventually, the only bonus of living in the expensive South East is that with luck one day we will be MF and able to sell up and cash in.

I'm definitely looking forward to the "cash in" part - even if we stick around for a while once we're MF, at least our costs will be a lot lower. I think we'll probably rent somewhere else for a year or so before we pull the trigger on selling our house/buying another one, as we won't know the area.
  • Energy switch completed today - E0n says they won't start our DD until Nov 1, so perhaps no payment at all in October?! :j Will have to see what BG comes up with for a final amount.

Our contract with BG ended in August and we were waiting until mid-Sept to switch so that we could get their free smart meter install. Pulled the plug on that as the smart meters look crap at the moment (thought they'd be universal rather than supplier-specific). The same day I started our MSE switch, I swapped our tariff with BG to a fixed price one that included a £50 Amazon gift card. No requirements on the gift card, so was pleased to see that come through today! DH says he feels guilty getting it since we were only on the tariff 2 weeks, but I'm happy to get something for free from them. :p We certainly paid enough over the last 2 years between energy and boiler/home cover, I think we've still been a profitable customer for them.

Cashback for life insurance switch has already tracked. No sign of cashback for boiler cover or recent pet food order, hoping those show up at some point (at least the pet food itself arrived today, otherwise the kitties would be very mad at us!).

Single and joint account applications in to Nationwide, and single account for TSB. Once we've got 3 accounts on each we should be at 5% interest on £13.5k - woo! Will need to see how the funds work out as far as maintaining the 3k in our 123 account on top of that. :cool: Pity the Nationwide interest is only a year, but better than nothing.

MOP day tomorrow!
  • Wow you've been busy - well done! You've reminded me that I need to look at switching energy providers, haven't done so for a while but last time I checked it wasn't worth it for us, so thank you.

And presumably you'll be saving the voucher to use on Christmas pressies?! :money:
  • Wow you've been busy - well done! You've reminded me that I need to look at switching energy providers, haven't done so for a while but last time I checked it wasn't worth it for us, so thank you.

I think our calculation was a savings of £210ish per year - our DD has gone down by £22, so possibly even more!
    And presumably you'll be saving the voucher to use on Christmas pressies?! :money:

Already earmarked in the "Gifts" budget category. :T Not sure if it'll be used for/by my birthday (in November) or at Christmas, but either way it has a job. (Still debating sending a corresponding MOP but our Gifts budget was down to £4.38 prior to this, so it could use the boost. Thankfully we're about 1/3 done with Christmas shopping already.)
  • :T indeed!
  • Bit muddled today. Got an e-mail about solar panels, so decided to get some quotes. Seems reasonable enough, if only from an environmental standpoint.

Only one quote in so far (2 others pending), £5,900 all-in to install a 4kW set of 16 panels on the roof. Calculators estimate this should save us £515/year (if we install before the end of the year).

So break-even point is in ~11 years. We'll (ideally) be MF in 5-6, and likely to move within a year or 2 of that (though it depends on when we get sick of our commute, as that would be the main reason to leave).

If we assume 7 years, then we're still out £2,295 (with £6,695 left in future savings), but presumably the house would be worth 6-10k more than if it didn't have solar panels installed. ??

Called up an estate agent to get their take on it and they'd only handled one place in the area with solar panels and its sale (18 months ago) got delayed by 9 months due to paperwork issue between the solar panel company and the mortgage lender. :( Called our lender and they have no objection (or input) if we buy the panels out-right, but they do have concerns if we lease them (fair enough). (As we're only likely to sell once we're MF, a delay in selling isn't that big a deal, but would be nice to know if it were likely to be a hassle.)

So...not really clear-cut. On the one hand, I like the idea of the environmental impact. And, if we don't follow-up on our cash-in plan, then £4,400 profit over the next 20 years sounds nice (though I suppose not really when you compare the value of £5,900 saved for 20 years). Even if we do cash-in, we shouldn't be any worse off as the house would ideally increase in value by a corresponding amount.

Part of me thinks we should just wait until we've sold up and found our forever home and then install solar panels there and be environmentally friendly then. Another part of me thinks it's a shame to waste the nice government money that's being guaranteed now.

Off to do more research...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport