PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No longer required net curtains keep off quite a lot of bugs and things and are good to protect redcurrants.

I like white shiny tiles, and they don't date!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like white tiles too. Just not on the floor. The natural stone ones are much better as they are uneven in colour and pattern so don't show the dirt so much...
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quick wave to everyone as my laptop encountered a glass of soft drink and it did not go well.

I have had to use the library computer to order a new chrome book and to get on here I had to change my password!

New kitchen consists of plastered walls and ceilings, a tap. two sockets and a microwave. I did choose wooden flooring for it this morning and got kitchen paint in a pale grey which should complement the ivory gloss cabinets and the bleached oak flooring.

Electrics have been so badly bungled by previous owner I need to spend an estra £1500 to make thing safe. Looks as if I will not have my kitchen till next week now!

I keep looking wistfully at the tv shows that do most of a house in a couple of days!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    New kitchen consists of plastered walls and ceilings, a tap. two sockets and a microwave. I did choose wooden flooring for it this morning and got kitchen paint in a pale grey which should complement the ivory gloss cabinets and the bleached oak flooring.
    Colours sound good, hopefully it goes quickly and smoothly/
    I keep looking wistfully at the tv shows that do most of a house in a couple of days!!!

That may be why you're spending extra on electrics, some of those shows need serious "snagging" afterwards (or have a very large workforce, possibly both).
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks nuatha

Yoy have cheered me up.
    At least I know things will be done right and it will be worth it in the end.

Who would think one man could bodge the wood burner(dangerous) upstairs bath (not plumbed in right so in danger of a flood and the ceiling collapsing) the electrics in the kitchen and the rest of the house( at least four faults that could have caused a fire). He slso decided to put half glass doors in all the rooms upstairs including the bathroom!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2016 at 4:54PM
    Options
    I'll admit to watching some of those instant "get your house sorted" or the current "Instant Gardener" tv series.

But I do take them with a pinch of salt. It's things like them doing one coat of paint only on a wall and no preparation of the wall before hand:eek: and covering things up that shouldnt be there in the ground of a garden (rather than digging them out as they should) that make me get the salt out metaphorically speaking.

Unfortunately - for living with a house ( or garden) for more than a year or two after the event one does need to do things like properly and shortcuts won't work.

Tell me about it - I'm the person that changed houses to a 1970s one recently and that means that "Of course the garden had been properly dug by at least one of the several previous owners". Nope...they were all lazy (or mean) little tykes - and none of them had and that means every time I go digging up something I've put there in good faith subsequently that I come across large stones/bricks/etc that the previous owners should have dug up over the years - but they havent.

Add that any gardener up to much is having to wait out the first few years to some extent before they can guarantee "all is well" - in case a previous owner took shortcuts and "just sprayed" a plant (or two or three etc) that was having pest problems - rather than dealing with things properly (ie organically):mad:

Same thing applies to a house.

ELONA - You do NOT want to know just how many things had been bodged in my current house by the last owner one way or another...on top of first owner had got it together cheaply (rather than properly) in the first place. There's a lot of bodgers and/or meanies around...
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Thanks nuatha

Yoy have cheered me up.
    At least I know things will be done right and it will be worth it in the end.
    I try my best (often I just try people's patience :) )
    Who would think one man could bodge the wood burner(dangerous) upstairs bath (not plumbed in right so in danger of a flood and the ceiling collapsing) the electrics in the kitchen and the rest of the house( at least four faults that could have caused a fire). He slso decided to put half glass doors in all the rooms upstairs including the bathroom!

My in-Law's place took me and then two electrical engineers to sort the electrics. There was a brand new earth spike with a dummy wire soldered to it, sockets that were wired with live and neutral crossed over and we never did figure out the lighting circuit - it was easier to remove every wire and start again. The floating floor joists under the bathroom (ground floor - bungalow) were an innovative approach to some very bad plumbing (and the cause of some serious damp) and the extension failed to meet building regulations (though had the appropriate paperwork, just not actually issued by the local authority, that one is still in court).
    In this house I've found bare (live) electrics covered by wallpaper, a shower waste that had been bodged with sellotape, (I also did have a shower catch fire, but that was the work of a properly certified plumber/gas installer/electrician).

My next house purchase will be subject to a gas and electrical survey as well as the usual structural by people I know and trust.

Its far better finding these things now, than in the early hours when a room fills with smoke (the smoke alarms here were dummies). Knowing your home is safe really is worth a few quid, I really hope there are no bodges left to uncover and then you can get on with enjoying your home, which hopefully soon matches the vision you had for it.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We currently rent a flat....the bathroom is white....everything!
    So is the kitchen except the hob, black, and the sink, stainless steel. Everything else is white or glass ex ept the sitting room floor which is pale wood. I am so glad I do not yet have grandchildren!! But the flat is very light:)
    One day I fancy chintz.....and victorian wood.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Softstuff: you should be so lucky! I would be flattered beyond measure if someone estimated my age at about 50.
    When I was 30ish and teaching in a school with no staff cloakroom, I was combing my hair and tarting myself up in the company of a 5 year old who was watching me intently.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm putting some cream on my face."

"What's it for?"

"It's to make me look young and beautiful."

Long silence.

"It doesn't."

Run, little girl. Run quickly.

Silvasava: Beginning of July sounds great. Let me know when you will be there and I'll be waiting in the Pilot.
    Word in the village is that it has become very yuppie-fied lately. It must be all these rich yachting types! Of course there is always the Tollgate cafe although the last time I was there it was standing room only.
    As to stepping on to a floating plank of wood with actual wet water under it.............well, I suppose I could borrow a life jacket from my DGS.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh Monnagran, you're "a proper caution and no mistake!" :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories