The Big Adventure

Comments

• LauraJo
    LauraJo Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello :)
    Just had a quick read and I love the way you have worked out what to save. I literally have no idea how to work out saving rates, APR's (is that even a savings thing?!) and how much I need to save!!
    Gallygirl worked mine out for me and I'm sticking to that :D:D

I'm very jealous that you work 2 days a week. I'm only 35 with no kids so OH doesn't think I can justify being part time hence my need to have a goal to get me out of this s0dding rat race that I hate!!
    I'm going to try and work out some rough numbers based on your method.
    I love the idea of a financially independent forum!!
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... £170k today £1.5k
    Savings: £3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm only 35 with no kids so OH doesn't think I can justify being part time hence my need to have a goal to get me out of this s0dding rat race that I hate!!

If it's any consolation, Mrs E won't let me go part-time either :rotfl:
  • LauraJo
    LauraJo Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it's any consolation, Mrs E won't let me go part-time either :rotfl:

They are just sooooo mean!!!!
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... £170k today £1.5k
    Savings: £3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
  • julliff
    julliff Posts: 625 Forumite
    Hi Goldie Girl :wave:

Just read all of your diary, and will be following along with interest. I would love to be planning retirement, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon, as I had to take out a big mortgage 4 years ago, and am busy trying to pay that down.

What do you plan to do with your retirement? Any grand ideas/dreams?
    "Carpe Diem"
    MFW - Starting mortgage April 2010 - 120,000
    MFW - restart Nov 2013 - £70207.88 & £14086.49
    Current balance - £62459.49 & £10380.19

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Canterbury is one of my favourite places in the world :)

I'm dead glamorous in that 2/3 dream locations are in Kent (there or Broadstairs). If I win the lottery, I'll still have a bob or two left for incidentals :rotfl:

Canterbury and Broadstairs are lovely places to visit, and we are very fortunate in that both places are an easy train ride away. If you are down here again, another nice place is Whitstable. There's some interesting and quirky little shops, and good walks along the river front.

Regarding working part time - I feel very lucky about this. I worked full time from the age of 16 to 50. ( I don't have children) But shortly before my 50th birthday, it was announced that my office was closing and we were all going to be made redundant. My employers were offering an enhanced pension as part of the redundancy package to the over 50's, so I just managed to qualify for this. It was a chance to re-evaluate things, and having the pension meant that I could work part time, and still bring in the same amount of money each month. I was really lucky to find a two day a week job, which uses all the skills I learnt in my previous working life. It's two very busy days, but they do pass very quickly.

If I hadn't been made redundant, I'd probably still be working full time now. The general plan was for Mr Goldie to retire, and at that time I would have taken partial retirement from my job. It was possible, at age 55 or above, to take your pension, but still carry on working on a part time basis. I would have been happy to do that, as I had many friends there, so there was a social side to it as well. But I don't have that same attachment to my current job, so I'll be happy just to leave it behind!

Mr Goldie only works 4 days a week now. A few years ago, his firm was going through a difficult patch, and they asked everyone to drop their hours. He liked it so much, that when the full hours were restored, he opted to stay on the reduced working hours.

So that means we have Wednesdays off together mid-week, which means we can go out or do garden work together.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl
    julliff wrote: »
    What do you plan to do with your retirement? Any grand ideas/dreams?

Our main hope is to do more travelling, both in this country and abroad.

In 2001, we did a special one off, never to be repeated holiday for our 20th wedding anniversary. We went on a cruise, and needless to say, got totally hooked on cruising. We've been able to go on a cruise most years since then, so we want to continue with that, and hopefully travel further afield too. Also, we are keen to see more of this country, and would like to do a few short breaks and coach trips, that sort of thing, not to mention days out.

It'd also be nice to be able to do more walking and gardening, which will help with general fitness.

When I look back at my parents in the early 1980's, they were newly retired, not well off by any means, but they really enjoyed their new freedom. But twenty years later, my dad had got very frail, and my mum had developed Alzheimers, and things were very different.

I feel that it's our time to enjoy life without the constraints of work, and I want to make the most of it, while we have our health. You don't know what's around the corner, and I don't want to regret not doing things while I had the chance
  • Goldiegirl
    Lovely to see visitors to my diary, thank you for all the comments:)

Today we went to Bluewater.

Up until about 5 years ago, we'd go to Bluewater about once a month for lunch, cinema and recreational shopping.

It's still somewhere I like going, especially mid week, although it was busier than usual, with the school holidays.

So this was a test of the new budgeting regime, and I think we passed.

Our activities were

Coffee in Starbucks ( to take advantage of Halifax Rewards cashback offer)

Shopping
    Pair of pyjamas in M&S - £10 voucher used
    Easy Yo Yoghurt Mix in Lakeland
    Peg Bag in John Lewis ( to replace my existing bag, which is 33 years old, and has disintegrated!)

Lunch in Giraffe, 15% off as it's Bluewater's 15th birthday

There were clothes that I liked, but didn't like enough to buy, and I don't really need anything at present. So I resisted the temptation:A

So all in all, pretty good, the things we bought were genuine needs.

It's work for me tomorrow. You know that Sunday evening feeling? That's what I get on Wednesday evening. As I haven't been there for three days, I never quite know what I'm walking in to.

But it's only for two days, and it always flies past, as it's generally very busy
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Howdy Goldie :wave: I can't wait to hear how your plans develop. It's lovely to see what people are doing post mortgage. :)
    But I am considering ditching Sky Movies. We do like films and cinema, but have been aware for some time that we haven't been getting our money's worth with Sky Movies.
    It's well worth looking into Now TV. It's basically Sky Movies but only about £6 a month and you can watch them any time you want. Plus there's a big back catalogue too ;) We do this instead of subscribing to Sky Movies and it works out well. Oh, and it's super easy to set up.
    Peg Bag in John Lewis ( to replace my existing bag, which is 33 years old, and has disintegrated!)
    I think we can allow you another one. :rotfl:
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

I think we can allow you another one. :rotfl:

Just make sure it lasts another 33 years :naughty:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Just make sure it lasts another 33 years :naughty:
    That goes without saying :money: ;) :rotfl:
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback