Mobile Camera Speeding Offence "Rolling Footage"

Options

Comments

• Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do wonder why they would send photo's of the OPs car showing 29mph if, as they say, they have evidence he/she was actually doing 36mph.

They may have "rolling footage" but surely they would send the incriminating "evidence" IE. a still photo showing 36mph?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    How would a still image suggest any speed?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The usual photos show the measured speed as a data field. The one they will produce in court will have the cross hairs on the OP's car (numberplate usually as that gives a nice reflection) and show the speed they claim. (or they could show the whole video)

The ones they sent to identify the driver need not include this one, as you asked for the photo that shows the driver most clearly.

If you want to challenge this, get advice from pepipoo dot com, but as above, laser speed cameras are usually regarded as well nigh infallible.

You may get somewhere with finding out the exact place you were pinged, and checking the Traffic Regulation Order for the road to find out if you were actually outside the 30 limit: councils have been known to put the signs up a bit early.

You cannot see any evidence until you opt for a court appearance and plead not guilty. The purpose of the course or taking the fine & points is a way to "reward" people who free up the court system by straight up accepting they were speeding: "It's a fair cop Guv; You've got me bang to rights"

The "reward" is a lesser financial penalty, in Court the fine is bigger, they add on costs (an expert witness fee makes a solicitor look cheap) and sting you for a "victim surcharge" as well.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AsaBlade wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice people; much appreciated.

Oh, and sorry, I forgot to mention that I also have my dash-cam footage that shows me entering the 30mph zone at 29mph and then slowing to 21mph as I pass the Speed Van.

Hang on I thought you said you had your cruise control on set to 30MPH a few posts ago?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    These cameras will see you at 1000m - long before you see it.

Do the awareness course like I did.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • AsaBlade
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Hang on I thought you said you had your cruise control on set to 30MPH a few posts ago?

Yes, cruise control was on and set at 30mph. However, my dash cam, my vehicle tracking and the photographic evidence they have sent me show me traveling at 29 mph. I would suggest a disparity between the CC setting, the digital speedo display and my actual speed.
  • AsaBlade
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    These cameras will see you at 1000m - long before you see it.

Do the awareness course like I did.

Quite impossible in this case I would suggest as the camera is placed on a long sweeping bend that has less than 500m of visibility due to high trees and thick foliage.

I have no problem doing the course IF I am sure that I am guilty of the alleged offence. If I was just privy to my own recollection of the incident then I would give the benefit of the doubt to the technology and accept that it was possibly my error of judgement and that I recalled the events wrong. However, as mentioned, I am not just privy to my own recollection of the event, I have dash cam evidence that suggests 29mph, tracking evidence that suggests 29mph and their own evidence that suggests 29mph. The dash cam footage shows me entering the 30mph zone (long before the camera is visible on my dash camera) at 29mph. It shows that as I entered the 30mph zone I then set the CC to 30mph. Then as I come around the corner the van become visible and my speed hasn't changed. As I approach the van my speed then decelerates to around 21mph as traffic is slowing in front of me.
  • AsaBlade
    Options
    Just you you're aware, you are not challenging the camera.

You would be challenging the operator and the accuracy of the laser device used.

They have video evidence of the session on their side.

So, this would suggest the potential for "human error" then if I am challenging the operator? For example, the laser device may have picked up the speed of another vehicle travelling in front of, or behind me and this has been wrongly interpreted as my speed. Thus, the accuracy of the laser is not compromised but the way in which the data has been analysed, interpreted and assigned could be flawed.

They do have video evidence of the session but that only supports their case if it shows me committing the offence they alleged I committed (at the moment the still footage shows me doing 29mph). I also have the video footage from my dash-cam (albeit no where as superior in terms of technology than the laser they use) that shows I didn't commit the offence.
  • AsaBlade
    Options
    Thanks for all the input people; it is much appreciated.

As I have mentioned, if I am guilty of the alleged offence then I have no problem with taking it on the chin and paying the £100 and doing the course. However, as discussed, my recollection - coupled with the evidence I have and that they have supplied - suggest to me that I didn't commit the offence.

As I said, I spoke with the Camera Partnership yesterday (Tuesday) and they have said they will send out the evidence upon what they will be relying upon if it went to court. They said it should be with me by Thursday or Friday so I will update you once I have received this.

Thanks once again for your input; much appreciated.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AsaBlade wrote: »
    As I said, I spoke with the Camera Partnership yesterday (Tuesday) and they have said they will send out the evidence upon what they will be relying upon if it went to court. They said it should be with me by Thursday or Friday so I will update you once I have received this. ...
    That's good - lots of partnerships would refuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure