Broadband best cheap provider

I know the cheaper suppliers are often reported as being rubbish with terrible customer service but I have reached the point where I have to leave virgin as they are getting far too expensive and refuse to give me a decent deal even after I threatened to leave.

The ones I am considering are:

Plusnet 38Mb Fibre 12 month contract £24.99 Per month
Talktalk 38Mb Fibre 18 month contract £26.50 Per month
Vodafone 38Mb Fibre £25 Per month

Anyone have any good experiences with any of the above companies.

Comments

• There is feedback on service on the MSE page for broadband http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#fibreoptic

Personally I have found Sky to be the best, Plusnet not far behind and TalkTalk to be terrible. I've not used Vodafone, but think you must use their router which may or not be a problem for you.

I think the upload speed on Plusnet is only 2Mb/s. 10Mb/s is more normal, but not sure about the TT and V (Sky and BT are 10).

The current Plusnet deal on MSE is better than the price you quote at £18.32 http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#plusnetfibre
  • Charles80
    Charles80 Posts: 17 Forumite
    £18.32 for plusnet, even better. Appreciate the heads up.

I notice plusnet have £70 cashback on topcashback, do I basically sign up with them via topcashback?
  • Charles80 wrote: »
    £18.32 for plusnet, even better. Appreciate the heads up.

I notice plusnet have £70 cashback on topcashback, do I basically sign up with them via topcashback?

Think that's instead of the £50 voucher. Currently £70 cashback from Quidco and £50 from tcb, but then no voucher. Cashback is obviously better than a voucher, but less guaranteed.
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Cashback via TCB is currently £50 for a PlusNet Fibre service (£70 for a non-Fibre service). The rate on offer does change frequently though - it might be as low as £10 one week, or as high as £80 or £90 another. I was lucky to get £105 on moving to PlusNet a couple of years ago, but I've not seen that sort of amount offered for some time.
    The £18.32 per mth offer mentioned earlier is for a different £50 voucher deal, and the rate quoted takes account of the voucher on offer and advantage being taken of the Line Rental Saver option.
    If you go for the cashback deal, as well as not getting a voucher, you also can't put another PlusNet customer down as introducing you - but a nice cashback in your pocket, is better than a small discount in a friend's pocket.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I was with Plusnet on the upto 76mb package. Quoted 68mb when ordering and actually got 73mb when they installed it. Engineer said it was even faster on his equipment but capped down.

Vodafone tempted me away with the £25? £27? including line rental. They said they put 2 pipes into the exchange so it will be faster.

Well no its not faster its SLOWER... It drops connection more often than ANY connection i have had before and that includes dial up.

Would i recommend Vodafone. NO...
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 11:35PM
    Don't forget may have to pay a connection charge if you are going from Virgin to another provider. Although Virgin was fibre, most of the other providers use the BT backbone structure for thier servicrs, so a new socket will be needed.

Plus a dedicated router from the company you choose will be needed, free but p+p will cost £6 +.

Also have you changed anything with Virgin? If you have got them to give you a better deal or added or removed services in the last 12 months be careful. The tend to renew the contract for another 12 months from that point. And they don't usally tend to tellyou that. Say 6 months later you want to move, then you have to buy out the remainder of your contract which can be a lot. Read the MSE News article linked below to give you some info.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2017/06/ofcom-investigates-virgin-media-over-exit-fees
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • astra46
    astra46 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Ive just left Plusnet Standard Broadband for Sky Fibre.

Plusnet quoted me £34 for Fibre, Line Rental and all Calls.
    SKY was half the price £17.40 for Unlimited Fibre, all Calls and Line Rental, i coudnt say no.
  • Sun-Is-Fun
    Sun-Is-Fun Posts: 242
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    astra46 wrote: »
    Ive just left Plusnet Standard Broadband for Sky Fibre.

Plusnet quoted me £34 for Fibre, Line Rental and all Calls.
    SKY was half the price £17.40 for Unlimited Fibre, all Calls and Line Rental, i coudnt say no.

How did you get Sky for that price?
  • Question please - it used to be the case... but is it still the case nowadays, that certain ISPs (hello Plusnet, hello TalkTalk etc.,) throttle/'prioritise' certain internet protocols, over others? Or can customers finally use the internet whatever way they want, without seeing their internet speeds being arbitrarily snuffed - according to what their ISP feels is a reasonable speed for each customer's intended use? Sky, for example, are well known (and always have been highly regarded!) for offering *all* their unlimited customers a completely clean connection, whether on Fibre or standard broadband, and in that respect, offer excellent value for money.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,571
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mjfp509 wrote: »
    How did you get Sky for that price?

I wondered the same.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure