Deed of variation or Gift???

Comments

• MichelleUK
    MichelleUK Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A DOV will remove the same amount of transferable nil rate band if the mother is spouse of the father.

gifting will be IHT neutral for 7 years then add the size of the gift to the survivors nil rate band.

Ahhhhh, beat me to it! I was just coming back to edit my post, as I had forgotten that it would use up £90k of the fathers band......:D
  • pmortl
    pmortl Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June 2017 at 6:08PM
    My mother is living in a council house and has her pensions, she wants nothing to do with the money, she doesn't have any benefits that are means tested in that she already has over £16K before this money hits the executor account and is happy with what she has, there are no assets. Don't worry, we're not strong arming or anything, it was both my father's and my mother's wishes, just unfortunately worded Will in that left everything to mum, obviously something we didn't look at closely, otherwise would have saved on money for DOV. (quote of 450 to 750 + VAT)
    So it seems a DOV is the correct legal way to go to allow the sole beneficiary (my mum) to redirect the claim award part of the will to whoever she decides. Does this seem correct? Thanks
    Mortgage Started Nov 2018
    2 year fixed 1.78%, £336pcm, 23yrs 2 mths remaining
    Deal ends 30/11/2019
    Current Balance 23/8/2018 £76K
    Want to be Mortgage Free by Dec 2022
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pmortl wrote: »
    My mother is living in a council house and has her pensions, she wants nothing to do with the money, she doesn't have any benefits that are means tested in that she already has over £16K before this money hits the executor account and is happy with what she has, there are no assets. Don't worry, we're not strong arming or anything, it was both my father's and my mother's wishes, just unfortunately worded Will in that left everything to mum

She might not but, if she needs care, the council will unless she had a very large sum in savings.

Read up on DOA - deprivation of assets - before Mum gives it away and the money gets spent.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    My mother is living in a council house and has her pensions, she wants nothing to do with the money, she doesn't have any benefits that are means tested in that she already has over £16K before this money hits the executor account and is happy with what she has, there are no assets. Don't worry, we're not strong arming or anything, it was both my father's and my mother's wishes, just unfortunately worded Will in that left everything to mum, obviously something we didn't look at closely, otherwise would have saved on money for DOV. (quote of 450 to 750 + VAT)
    So it seems a DOV is the correct legal way to go to allow the sole beneficiary (my mum) to redirect the claim award part of the will to whoever she decides. Does this seem correct? Thanks

A DOV is still a gift just has tax benefits.

There are no tax benefits over a normal gift why bother.
  • pmortl
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Read up on DOA - deprivation of assets - before Mum gives it away and the money gets spent.
    Many thanks for your input, regarding the DOA there is already a care plan in place for my mother when she needs it which was put in place many years ago and both mum and dad provided for this.

Regarding the DOV, is the DIY version easy to do or just bite the bullet and get it done by a solicitor, there is only mum as beneficiary, no impact on IHT as only £90K, is this all we need to consider?
    Deal ends 30/11/2019
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Many thanks for your input, regarding the DOA there is already a care plan in place for my mother when she needs it which was put in place many years ago and both mum and dad provided for this.

Regarding the DOV, is the DIY version easy to do or just bite the bullet and get it done by a solicitor, there is only mum as beneficiary, no impact on IHT as only £90K, is this all we need to consider?
    Does the amount for the claim actually form, an albeit delayed, part of your father's estate?
  • pmortl
    Yes, on the will it states all proceeds to go to my wife
    Deal ends 30/11/2019
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The usual reason for using a DoV to transfer money from parent to (say) grandchild rather than parent to child is that if the child dies within seven years AND has themselves an estate (including the gift) that is subject to IHT, then there will be IHT, whereas by transferring it direct to the grandchild that is avoided. It's not clear to me from the account of what's going on as to why a DoV to give money to the child, rather than a spouse, helps.

It's also not obvious from the OP as to why the other children of the claimant would be willing to sign a DoV.

There is a Deprivation of Assets issue if and only if the mother is currently likely to require care in the immediate future.

I can't really see why the DoV is needed.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

Baring in mind that you parents have very little in the way of assets how on earth did they manage to finance this?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd advise legal route because this is a legal document with implications if you get it wrong, but you will, as stated, need to get a move on.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport