Large single Parent Family getting Debt free

Options

Comments

• kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    so yesterday I sold my iPhone 6 and bought a £9.99 cheapy mobile.
    It does what it says on the tin and works so that's all I need right now, I also found a contract with the mins and text I need for £9 a month, and got my daughters contract bolted onto mine so £15 a month for both- not bad to pay £7 each.
    Ive cut the food budget right down and Im going to pop up my SOA asap.
    Just going to do my ironing and have a good clear out of all our stuff to see what is fit for the charity shop/to sell on ebay.
    The kids all have a saving account each now and we will pop into the building society each month to deposit their pocket money.
    Life is plodding along, not much else to report.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Kim. I did not think your food budget could be cut any further, you are so ingenious with it but well done, you. Hope you have a good day and it sounds as if your children will grow up with more money sense than most, these days. :)
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    HI Kim.

Just wanted to pop on and say how wonderful to see that you're back and it's great you've finally found a cocktail of meds that work for you're bipolar. How long have you been diagnosed? I've recently (6 months ago) been diagnosed so we are still figuring out my medication combination and I can't wait for the day that we get it right.

I used to follow your diary under a previous name but don't think I ever commented. I was much more of a lurker back then and only now am I posting much more.

I hope everything continues going well for you and that the budgeting works out well for a family of eight kids plus you. Definitely a super mum!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Just popped up a revised SOA.
    had my interview with the OR today, it went really well and Im allowed to keep my car for the kids and the rest of my SOA was approved.
    Im feeling a bit low today, probably because all the adrenalin of the bankruptcy has died down and all that worry that was keeping me going has deflated.
    The kids had a trip to the beach today with the school and their teachers commented on what a pleasure they are to teach and said how well mannered and polite they are.
    My daughter has come home thoroughly shattered but the boys are super wired so have popped into the garden to let off steam.
    Bangers and mash with broccoli for tea- I have a weightwatchers meal as I need to trim off my fat @rse!
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That is so brilliant, Kim, I'm glad your sprogs had a good time. You have always said how well-behaved they are and that is all down to you. If their teachers agree, that says it all, does it not? Supermum, indeed.

Sorry you are feeling a bit "flat" but please make sure you eat properly; I am sure your @rse is fine! You need your energy and your health, don't forget.

Laters, lady.

Smod xxx
  • kimplus8
    Options
    hi yall,
    milaaaaaa, come back to us, we miss you xxx
    I have had a pretty tiring week what with selling stuff and the kids being off school. My little lad turns 9 tomorrow. I cant believe that he is 9, I mean 9!!!!!
    in other new I just found out that my food budget thread was put in martins weekly emails :-) http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5651867&_ga=2.20116856.1913908154.1496344034-293939457.1496323438
    Im super chuffed.
    I hope that some of my threads can help other people. I mean, that's what this is all about right??
    im just having a nice cuppa and then having a small bible study with my neighbour, which I love doing as I rarely get me time to just sit and look over the scripture.
    I hope everyone is having a good half term xxx
    k+8
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on your thread being included in the weekly email. It is interesting how you worked out the £10 per child and £20 per adult. I hadn't thought about groceries as a cost per head but given me food for thought if you pardon the pun.

I'm a single mum of 8 too but my older ones are teenagers. The boys always seem hungry, so cereal disappears quickly as does fruit. I do try to make a concerted effort to bake particularly during the school holidays in a bid to keep everyone happy and full! It is still a struggle to keep to £100 a week.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Well done on your thread being included in the weekly email. It is interesting how you worked out the £10 per child and £20 per adult. I hadn't thought about groceries as a cost per head but given me food for thought if you pardon the pun.

I'm a single mum of 8 too but my older ones are teenagers. The boys always seem hungry, so cereal disappears quickly as does fruit. I do try to make a concerted effort to bake particularly during the school holidays in a bid to keep everyone happy and full! It is still a struggle to keep to £100 a week.
    THIS!
    my boys are like seagulls, they would sink a box of cereal between the 2 of them at breakfast easily.
    We have fridge oats for breakfast now to keep them fuller.
    I just use value oats top with milk in bowls and leave in the fridge to soak overnight and then top with some honey/fruit/jam/yoghurt/seeds/nuts/peanut butter/whatever you have in the cupboards.
    so much more filling than cereal and cheap.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is a good idea...a couple of mine will eat porridge with me in the morning which I always find filling, so I guess the same principle only cold...must try it.

Had to smile at seagulls...often refer to the teenagers as the gannets!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • kimplus8
    Options
    its really tasty once you get past the -'porridge should be hot'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure