PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing cooked turkey?

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Linda,

That's absolutely fine and you won't kill anyone. :D

Pink
  • Thanks for all the advice!! DH has eaten it all so don't think I have much left to freeze.
    Thank you all the people who have posted.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Linda32 wrote: »
    Just to be sure as I don't want to kill myself or anyone else. I'm sure I'm sure by the way but want to check, this is what I intend to do.

Turkey was defrosted and cooked on xmas day - so far so good :D

We still have loads left so to suit us I shall portion it into meal sizes for us and pour gravy over.

Wait for it to cool.

Pop in freezer.

When we want it, defrost and heat in oven, it will be volcanic hot :D

I know the rule of thumb in that its been defrosted and cooked once.

Now the cooked meat will only be frozen once and reheated once?

Hello all, So far so good, the only problem now is the thing seems to be taking as long to defrost as the 5kg turkey did in the first place :D

A portion is in a tubbit with gravy, I took it out of the freezer tea time last night, and put in fridge, this morning it was still frozen solid, so I left it on the kitchen worktop all day and the sides were slightly soft, so now its back in the fridge until tomorrow morning.

The reason I put it in the fridge in the first place was thinking it should defrost slowly as it froze slowly. Then I thought if I left it out all night it would be defrosted by tomorrow morning and the intention was to have it for tea tomorrow. Well it was for tea tonight but 24 hrs was nowhere near enough.

Should it really take 48hrs to defrost, when, as I say thats how long the turkey took in the first place, I really don't fancy meat hanging around for so long :eek: :o
  • notisis
    notisis Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I usually leave my tub out overnight on the worktop to defrost - I don't put in the fridge as otherwise it never seems to defrost. I only have a two portion tub so don't know if yours contains 4 portions so will take longer anyway?
  • We have a large amount left and have had enough for
    now lol
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As long as you have stored it correctly it should be fine,freeze in usable portions as it will not keep well after defrosting
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes - I think everyone else is doing. Chuck it in
  • Thankyou :A
  • i was just coming to ask much the same lol
    mine is chicken not turkey
    do you alll just slice up into portions then wrap in tinfoil and freeze?
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I certainly do - just slice and freeze in meal-size portions and defrost then as required.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family