iPhone v HTC Desire

Comments

• aaranj wrote: »
    If you already have an iPod Touch, there really is no need to buy an iPhone. iPhone prices are extortionate and the iPhone doesn't really add that much more in extra functionality when compared to an iPod Touch. Get a HTC Desire, keep the iPod Touch and enjoy the best of both worlds.

If you want everything "all in one" then the iPhone is best. If you are happy with 2 items, then I agree here - get the Desire.

I don't think it's a better phone than the iPhone, but HTC allow the networks to subsidise the the cost of the phone where Apple do not. This makes the Desire cheaper on contract than the iPhone even though there's not a great deal of difference in the Sim Free prices.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    badmoon wrote: »
    I know this has probably been asked loads before but everyone has their own needs and I'm easily confused!

Completely torn between both phones though today made moves towards the i-phone, just want to be sure in my mind it's right for my needs.

I've had a nokia 5800 - I have an ipod touch which I do love. Like to surf the internet and look at facebook/twitter, not obsessively or constantly though. Would like to be able to access the internet probably 2 to 3 times a day.

Like to be able to access my emails when I need to and to be able to watch the odd video. Got a big library of stuff from i-tunes. I do like the look of the iphones as I love my ipod touch and the apps sound great but I want to be sure in my that it's that which'll work for me.

So...bearing in mind the above and if there's any further questions I can answer to help. What do you think or is it entirely subjective as I suspect?

Thanks.

Do you still have the Nokia 5800 ? I take it, that is the music express version?
    As if it is, then your handset does all of those things already :T
    It's easy enough to add email accounts to most handsets.
    There are many many apps for the Nokia 5800 via the OVI store, Snaptu is a nice free app which includes facebook in the standard setup.
    Capacitive vs resistive screens? It is not as straightforward as one is better than the other, Capacitive allows multitouch, resistive allows use with gloves (then again you can buy some igloves, (we called them fingerless gloves in the 80s))

Also have a look at SPB mobile shell 3.5 this runs invisible on symbian handsets.
    Camera on the 5800 will compare to the iphone offering.
    Sat nav is already free on the Nokia compatible handsets.
    It's a shame the Nokia N8 is not already on the market, it looks promising :j
  • ampletime
    ampletime Posts: 173 Forumite
    The Desire is a great phone and is just as good as any iphone. However the HTC Evo is better than the Desire and the iphone and the HTC Ace will be better than the Desire and the iphone and on par with the Evo.
  • bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2010 at 12:01PM
    Personally I would recommend the iPhone 4, I know some people will leap on me for saying it, but I find Android a bit too "messy" for my liking. By that I mean the sheer number of different UIs is a bit confusing, and there are so many new models and older ones seemingly are abandoned (particularly by HTC).

I have the Hero, now if I hadn't Rooted it and put on a custom ROM, I would still be stuck on 1.5, as the manufacturer took months to get round to porting 2.1 to the device, in fact 2.2 was released in the meantime! Anyway, there seems to be a patten of releasing a good phone getting lots of people on it, then abandoning it a few months later when something better comes out.

I have had a few HTC phones in the past, right back to the good old XDA, and its always been the same, if you know what your doing, sure you can keep up to date with the latest version of the OS, but for A N Other, the support just seems to evaporate.

At least with Apple, they do try and continue to support the device for a couple of years. And before someone mentions the death-grip, I can do the same with my Hero, but in Ferryhill, County Durham, where HTC Heros, Desires, Wildfires, a Legend, an Xepria, and even a 3GS cannot get an Orange signal, the iPhone 4 not only gets a signal, but works like a dream and in a week of constant use between 23 people has had just 1 dropped call.

Sorry for the rant, just get a bit sick of the iPhone bashing (which seems to be coming from people who have never used on!), when I and my colleagues have yet to have any problem with it at all, and I will defiantly be replacing my terrible Hero with one in October when my contract is up.
    Looks like your hero problems are because of the custom rom you installed rather than the hero. Btw 2.1 android is available direct from htc for more than a month and no need for a custom rom.

Custom roms come with custom radios that might cause problems with reception. There is a hero owner on three network here who has also rooted and has a custom rom and radio and says never dropped a connection since. So looks like your rom is the problem.

If you just want a different look then no need to root or flash custom roms, all you need on android is app like launcher pro or adw launcher. I have adw launcher, just a press of the home button and I can swap between 7 screens of htc sense and 7 of adw launcher. Adw is much more customisable than sense but sense is more polished. So I now have the sense look 7 screens plus 7 more with adw with galaxy s look. Plus allows upto 10 widgets on one row.

What's wrong with a phone a week being launched, isn't that what happens with most things in electronics now a day's. Just because I buy a desire or a iphone today why should others be limited to older technology if it is possible to have the latest technology when they buy.

To make a valid signal reception comparison of phones they should not be modified like yours and all need to have same sim. Iphones are good hence the buyers, but to use a hero and imply desire might be similarly poor is laughable. Comparing a bullock cart with a car. If you want a comparison then use the galaxy s or the desire. Please remember custom roms allow users of android phones much after their commercial life on the market and far beyond what even the manufacturer imagined, this isn't always possible on all phones.

support for software does not necessarily mean it will work on old phones. just like there were issues getting 2.1 on the hero, there are issues with iOS4 working on the 3gs or 3g and not all features will work. if it did work then there never would be any reason for anyone to buy new phones! so dont blame newer software released much later after you bought the phone not working on your phone as the reason the phone is faulty!

if iOS4 works on the iphone older models then that is a bonus not a mandatory requirement since it is an OLDER model, the same applies to the hero or the desire. so the hero not getting the 2.1 update like the newer models isnt necessarilirly a valid gripe. yes it is great if all phones get the latest software and everything works but that is not reality in phones or even computers, thats life unfortunately. if htc does not release the 2.2 for the desire i dont have any hold on htc but atleast i have options like shipped roms and xda and umptten others to load newer software on my phone and give it additional functionality and extended life than even fathomed by the manufacturer, thats the advantage of android. but others views might differ. jail breaking offers some such advantages on iphones too.

by my upgrade time next year last quarter, i will surely have dual core htc phones 1.5ghz and 2ghz htc and motorola android phones even by todays confirmed pipeline models, there might even be much better ones by then. but i wouldnt hope for everything those phones do with software to be possible on my desire, thats reality.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • ampletime wrote: »
    The Desire is a great phone and is just as good as any iphone. However the HTC Evo is better than the Desire and the iphone and the HTC Ace will be better than the Desire and the iphone and on par with the Evo.

I'm not sure you're right - the EVO has a much larger screen, but it's a bit too big for my taste in a phone.
    Also, apparently the battery on the EVO is very bad indeed.
    If you charge this phone all night long, then leave the house at 8 a.m., you’ll find its battery charge at 50 percent by early afternoon, even if you don’t make a single call or send a single e-mail message. By quitting time, or dinner time if you’re lucky, it’s completely dead. On this phone, the battery gauge practically shrivels as you’re looking at it.
    New York Times review

If you're willing to recharge it twice a day then that's fine, but my iPhone is currently lasting two days between charges, so that makes it better for my personal style of use. That review says the EVO is a good phone by the way, but I don't think your use of "better" is really justified...
  • sava8
    sava8 Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2010 at 4:50PM
    aaranj wrote: »
    If you already have an iPod Touch, there really is no need to buy an iPhone. iPhone prices are extortionate and the iPhone doesn't really add that much more in extra functionality when compared to an iPod Touch. Get a HTC Desire, keep the iPod Touch and enjoy the best of both worlds.

I must say that I agree with this statement as well, i am at the moment using a HTC Hero and its fully customized. Its a great little phone.
    The android market is much better then the Apple one, you can even find full Twilight novels for free, apple wouldn't allow that, plus all kind of emulators for the old consoles.

Since you got a Ipod Touch then the market will be practically the same so you wont gain much extra. Of course try out the phones and compare first, and don't forget the Distant Selling Regulations as well.

The new Ipod Touch (with camera) comes out in around September so you might want to consider buying that with the HTC Desire, and if you find a good deal then it might work out cheaper then getting a IPhone 4.

I bought my HTC Hero before the Desire came out for (a equivalent) £25 a month on a 12 month contract.
  • markray007
    markray007 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Firstly, have never had an i-phone......but am not an apple hater (it keeps the doctor away apparantly)

Am one month into having my HTC desire........and absolutely love it.

Wont go into details about the deal i got, its posted elsewhere.

I luv the Android OS. I love the apps. I love the UI (Its like using my PC). My work emails and personal emails work great on it, the calling is great, the internet usage with the Dolphin HD browser is great.

Downsides..........Battery life is 2 days max......Have installed juice defender which helps......and my old solar charger works well, plus obviously the car charger and usb charging helps.... so no big worries.

Not an objective or tech review or comparison, just my opiion....and a bloody site cheaper than the iphone. LOL

:money:
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.
  • chris180682
    chris180682 Posts: 118 Forumite
    markray007 wrote: »
    Firstly, have never had an i-phone......but am not an apple hater (it keeps the doctor away apparantly)

Am one month into having my HTC desire........and absolutely love it.

Wont go into details about the deal i got, its posted elsewhere.

I luv the Android OS. I love the apps. I love the UI (Its like using my PC). My work emails and personal emails work great on it, the calling is great, the internet usage with the Dolphin HD browser is great.

Downsides..........Battery life is 2 days max......Have installed juice defender which helps......and my old solar charger works well, plus obviously the car charger and usb charging helps.... so no big worries.

Not an objective or tech review or comparison, just my opiion....and a bloody site cheaper than the iphone. LOL

Is it really that much cheaper? I thought it was but having looked as Oscar said the Sim-free prices aren't a great deal different and can I get that much of a better deal for the Desire than the 12 month £20 Tesco deal for Iphone 4?
    I was considering the HTC Desire too and I previously posted reagrding the actual differences between the Iphone 4 and my Ipod Touch (which there really aren't many) but couldn't this be said of all smartphones? Can anyone tell me what the Desire would give me extra that I don't have on my Touch as I'm still open to the idea of getting one as waiting for the white Iphone 4 is getting a bit frustrating?
    The reason I still fancy and Iphone 4 despite already having a 32gb touch is the Touch is used as my main household stereo so I wouldn't be able to use the Iphone 4 as an all-in-one device in that respect as when I would be using my phone there would be no music player in the house for my OH, plus I dont want to have to be checking my phone every 5 minutes while it's in the dock!So maybe there is room for both depending how you are wanting to use them.
  • markray007
    markray007 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Is it really that much cheaper? I thought it was but having looked as Oscar said the Sim-free prices aren't a great deal different and can I get that much of a better deal for the Desire than the 12 month £20 Tesco deal for Iphone 4?
    I was considering the HTC Desire too and I previously posted reagrding the actual differences between the Iphone 4 and my Ipod Touch (which there really aren't many) but couldn't this be said of all smartphones? Can anyone tell me what the Desire would give me extra that I don't have on my Touch as I'm still open to the idea of getting one as waiting for the white Iphone 4 is getting a bit frustrating?
    The reason I still fancy and Iphone 4 despite already having a 32gb touch is the Touch is used as my main household stereo so I wouldn't be able to use the Iphone 4 as an all-in-one device in that respect as when I would be using my phone there would be no music player in the house for my OH, plus I dont want to have to be checking my phone every 5 minutes while it's in the dock!So maybe there is room for both depending how you are wanting to use them.

In answer to your question, and not wanting to bore people......This was the deal i got with the HTC desire.

New orange customer on Dolphin, buying from E2save.

25 pcm for 24 mths, including 400 xnet minutes, unltd txts and 500mb intenret.

But 1/2 price line rental for 13 mths by redemption (i know, but ive done it before without any hassle)

£ 152 cashback for old Nokia N97

£55 cashback via quidco for the e2 save transaction.

Comment away....but i made that just under £10 pcm. = £240 for the life of the contract.

Which, for a phone i really liked the look of with enough minutes and stuff sounded like a great deal. As I say, Im absolutely thrilled with the phone.

One by one the penguins steal my sanity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure