Options

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    boo2405 wrote: »
    Hi guys, first post here!!
    My DMP is just over a year old with payplan, I think my debt free date (hopefully!!) is June 2019, my question is one of my creditors if 'Very' and my debt with them stands at approx £850, I am still able to log into my account with them online and check my payments are being made and amount due is coming down etc, can I make extra one off payments by logging into my account online? For example, my birthday is coming up, If I am given any money could I pay this off this creditor?
    I'm guessing payplan would say no as I only have 2 creditors and they are paid pro rata plus extra payments may suggest I have extra spare cash? Just thought I'd ask your advice seen as you seem such a knowledgeable bunch!

I regularly paid Very extra when on my DMP with SC last year. I just logged in and paid manually. I did it because I had buy now pay later interest due to be added and I wanted to avoid this happening.

No-one mentioned it - not Very and not SC.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • boo2405
    Options
    I regularly paid Very extra when on my DMP with SC last year. I just logged in and paid manually. I did it because I had buy now pay later interest due to be added and I wanted to avoid this happening.

No-one mentioned it - not Very and not SC.

Thank you-it wouldnt be massive payments, just the odd £20 here and there, with my birthday approaching I just thought any money I was given would be better spent on clearing the account than anything else!! Reading all the posts on this thread has really motivated me to get it all paid off as quickly as possible!!
  • Bouncybubbles
    Options
    I'm having such a wobble at such an early stage! It initially felt as though the money worries were solved and we could start actually living within our means and affording food etc. However since setting everything up my wages were late which resulted in missing all my DD in my new account. (Sorted now) then had to borrow money to my hubby for his OD to prevent charges. Then I found out that 2 of my creditors are not accepting the plan and are continuing to charge me interest etc and that Argos are still charging me stupid interest also (they have not yet said their acceptance/decline of plan). I'm terrified a debt collector will end up coming round :( at times just wish I hadn't started it at the moment :eek:
    Love my DMP left to pay £0/ £10162.51 :beer:
    Est DFD 11/2018
    Actual DFD 09/2017
    £2 savers club: number 88 £14 so far!
    Wombling free number 41 £6 so far!!
    Emergency fund £50/£1000
  • MitziB
    MitziB Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    .....I believe that's classed as irresponsible lending on the creditors part.
    Saz.

I know your reply was to someone else, Saz, but I was struck by your mention of 'irresponsible lending' by creditors. I wrote a rather long-winded post yesterday but it disappeared without trace somehow and never appeared in the thread:(. Probably just as well, it did go on a bit:o

You seem to have such a wide knowledge of so many debt-related topics and I've found your comments and help to other posters very useful and valuable to my own situation:T

I thought I'd ask if you know if 'irresponsible lending' is a recognised 'thing' and whether there is any official way of seeking redress for it.

Any advice always welcome:beer:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm having such a wobble at such an early stage!. I'm terrified a debt collector will end up coming round :( at times just wish I hadn't started it at the moment :eek:

Why are you terrified of debt collectors ?

If they worked for some loan shark I could understand it, but Argos ?

Home calls do happen, but you simply either ignore them, or tell them to go away, there self employed collectors, paid on results, they are nobodies !!

Anyway it's not going to happen as you are on a DMP, makes no odds if the creditor accepts it or not, you just keep paying, nothing will happen.

People tend to overthink things sometimes, debt collectors, DCA's, have no more power than anyone else, they just use scare tactics to get money out of you, don't be a victim of there intimidation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Pc2003
    Pc2003 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    So I checked my dmp after not looking at it in ages and found out that one debt has been cleared this month! Yay!! Pounds to pocket it was so very glad that is gone.
    On the subject of irresponsible lending.. Pounds to pocket emailed me this morning to thank me for paying off my loan, thank me for being a great customer and advising me if I ever need them I have a loan offer of 2k waiting.....
    It's crazy. Absolutely crazy
  • Bouncybubbles
    Options
    well done you! I bet it feels amazing! :)
    Love my DMP left to pay £0/ £10162.51 :beer:
    Est DFD 11/2018
    Actual DFD 09/2017
    £2 savers club: number 88 £14 so far!
    Wombling free number 41 £6 so far!!
    Emergency fund £50/£1000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well....I am pleased to report some really good news at last....After writing a complaint letter to the only preditor that was still applying interest....you all know who I mean.... and explaining how the debt had actually gone up in the last 3 months due to us having to reduce payments and asking again for them to stop interest and default us, or we would go to the Ombudsman......they have replied saying that they will refund the interest that was applied in the last 3 months and suspend all interest and charges from now on and in 7 months time, all 3 accounts will be defaulted!!!:rotfl::T:T:T:rotfl::T:T:T:T:T

Why we have to wait 7 months, I have no idea, but not really bothered. They did say that in the meantime our credit file will show the accounts as in arrears, but don't see that as being a problem as long as it gets defaulted eventually.

So for all of you who are still struggling with them, keep on hounding them as they will relent in the end. TBH, I think it is the fact that we had to reduce our payments to £5 a month and now they can see from our new I&E that we have to reduce the DMP from the original amount.
    Just a pity I can't afford a bottle of Prosecco, as I feel like celebrating!:rotfl:
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    :T Great news Ploppy
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    :( Pooh, pooh, pooh! 1dem have managed to come up with my CCA from nearly 14 years ago so looks like we will still be paying that up. But the good news is it shows we paid PPI which I could have swore blind I didn't take out on anything after Jan 2002 so need to get that complaint in.

Well after that ^^^ pooh post we have a yeah! post. BC have been unable to find a CCA for DH's Egg card and therefore it is unenforceable until they are able to fulfill our request. :j Of course their rights continue to exist and we need to continue paying them blah, blah, blah.

They go on about reporting to CRA's and defaulting or instructing a third party to demand payment etc but considering it no longer shows on our credit report they cannot add it back again so will make no difference there and any third party will also be sent a CCA request. So that knocks 15 months off our DFD :D
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills