M D L A

:(M D L A) short for mortgage decreasing life assurance, seems to be a topic skirted around by assurance companies. They seem to want to sell you straight term assurance for a fixed monthly fee, payable on death for a meaty sum of £25000 or more. Has any one else come across this reluctanc to sell MDLA?. From new vincent

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Never heard it referred to as MDLA. That is probably some tied company's name for it. Decreasing term assurance or mortgage decreasing term assurance are the most common terms used. Generically, it is just decreasing term assurance.

Plan Life assurance (subject to certain minimal criteria) is currently unregulated and if there is little justification needed to sell whatever they want. There is some regulation coming in but it can still be sold with the smallest of justification needed.

I have seen level term sold in place of decreasing term. Often when the person doesnt have enough life cover of their own. I consider a real low budget option and its not ideal.

I can see why the tied agents would prefer to sell level term rather than decreasing as every few pounds extra goes to their targets.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure