TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Comments

• yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have just tried to book a ticket from Bristol Lawrence Hill to Grantham for Sep 22nd returning on the 24th Sep The Return fare on National rail is £76.35
    A flexible Off Peak return is £80.70 (avoiding London; ie via Birmingham) or £115.70 (via London), if you can travel at the applicable off-peak times. I can't find a £76.35 fare.
    On the MSE/Trainline site the single fare is £51.35 PLUS £O.70 + £1.50 SO HOW MUCH FOR A RETURN ?
    The new Trainsplit site finds a combination of flexible fares, via Birmingham totalling £77.01.

If you can tie yourself to specific trains, it may be worth waiting a week or two for non-refundable 'booked train only' Advance Single fares to become available.

Currently, Advance Single fares are available on some of the operators on the relevant routes, but not all.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Can someone explain. Imagine a journey that involves two legs where included is a change of London station via underground (say Kings Cross to Paddington). I have looked at the fact that when you split the journey into the two rail trips it suggest you are paying £8 for the underground transfer which would not cost anything like that with Oyster. Why is this - is it because buying the rail tickets inclusive of the transfer via London underground offers more protections if things go wrong or am I missing something?
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can someone explain. Imagine a journey that involves two legs where included is a change of London station via underground (say Kings Cross to Paddington). I have looked at the fact that when you split the journey into the two rail trips it suggest you are paying £8 for the underground transfer which would not cost anything like that with Oyster. Why is this - is it because buying the rail tickets inclusive of the transfer via London underground offers more protections if things go wrong or am I missing something?
    The Underground cash fare between Kings Cross and Paddington is £4.90 per person each way.

How does 'it' know you are planning to use Oyster?
  • Muttleythefrog
    Forumite
    edited 5 July 2017 at 1:14PM
    wealdroam wrote: »
    The Underground cash fare between Kings Cross and Paddington is £4.90 per person each way.

How does 'it' know you are planning to use Oyster?
    Well it wouldn't know you're planning to use oyster...it wouldn't know you even had the requirement to transfer if buying tickets separately but it is the disparity that I'm querying... as you point out even the most expensive fare... cash... would be less than the price included for transfer..... there must be some explanation for that or is it simple excessive profit making from this element of the journey.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    Well it wouldn't know you're planning to use oyster...it wouldn't know you even had the requirement to transfer if buying tickets separately but it is the disparity that I'm querying... as you point out even the most expensive fare... cash... would be less than the price included for transfer..... there must be some explanation for that or is it simple excessive profit making from this element of the journey.
    Sorry, I can't offer a more detailed explanation without knowing your journey.

Where does your £8 figure come from?

Where are you planning travelling from and to?
    How many travellers?
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tried three different searches and repreatedly got a "Oops! Something went wrong" message. WHAT is going wrong?
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    Tried three different searches and repreatedly got a "Oops! Something went wrong" message. WHAT is going wrong?

Try using Trainsplit instead - it seems to be more robust.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Forumite
    edited 5 July 2017 at 6:25PM
    Sorry, I can't offer a more detailed explanation without knowing your journey.

Where does your £8 figure come from?

Where are you planning travelling from and to?
    How many travellers?
    No worries.
    Let's take Newcastle to Par (Cornwall) single trip single person no concessions
    Take 9th Sep 2017

Trainline.com (and others) show a decent deal £66.50 to travel 05.59 Newcastle to London KC, Tube London KC to London Paddington, 10.06 London Paddington to Par arriving 14.05

However, if you look at buying the first leg of this trip alone it is £28. If you look at buying the last leg of the trip alone it is £22.50.

So if you bought the tickets excluding the London underground part the journey would cost £50.50. This implies they're charging £16 for the underground transfer - a single trip from London KC to Paddington. In an earlier scan today with a different date I did the same trip comparison and the Newcastle - London leg was £36 (£8 more than the example I've used here) instead meaning the underground transfer appeared to be charged as £8 which still seems excessive unless benefits are conveyed by having the underground phase of the trip included in the booking.
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    No worries.
    Let's take Newcastle to Par (Cornwall) single trip single person no concessions
    Take 9th Sep 2017

Trainline.com (and others) show a decent deal £66.50 to travel 05.59 Newcastle to London KC, Tube London KC to London Paddington, 10.06 London Paddington to Par arriving 14.05

However, if you look at buying the first leg of this trip alone it is £28. If you look at buying the last leg of the trip alone it is £22.50.

So if you bought the tickets excluding the London underground part the journey would cost £50.50. This implies they're charging £16 for the underground transfer - a single trip from London KC to Paddington. In an earlier scan today with a different date I did the same trip comparison and the Newcastle - London leg was £36 (£8 more than the example I've used here) instead meaning the underground transfer appeared to be charged as £8 which still seems excessive unless benefits are conveyed by having the underground phase of the trip included in the booking.
    Oh, I see where you are getting the £8 from now.

You cannot use that logic to say it costs £8 to cross London.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Forumite
    edited 5 July 2017 at 8:18PM
    Oh, I see where you are getting the £8 from now.

You cannot use that logic to say it costs £8 to cross London.
    Why not? Where is the extra expense arising from? What am I missing in my mind here.. there must be something.... surely... right.. we're talking about exactly the same train journeys but one with the underground connection included and one without? £16 difference in the example I gave you... who on earth would knowingly pay that for a trip Kings Cross to Paddington.. do the taxis even cost that?..lol

In the absence of any advice contrary I'll just have to assume it is a rip off.... and buy tickets without underground included and have Oyster used. It could save a significant chunk of the journey cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure