hail storm damage to car port roof.Shoul i claim?

Hello all,
We have had the roof of our car port damaged from the severe hail storm yesterday. It has left several holes on the roof and it will need replacing.Now i am no sure how much this would cost.It is a long car port that accomodates 2 cars.Should i claim this of the home insurance? or doing so would increase my premium.I have never had to claim for building insurance before and i don't know what to do.Haven't notified my insurers yet.Please advice on what i should do?

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    What is the roof made of?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • sue23
    sue23 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Hi,
    They look like hard plastic.Sorry don't know what it is called.
  • sue23
    think it is called PVC corrugated sheet.Looks like it when i googled it
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I would suggest checking likely cost first and then deciding. Also, it may be possible to replace only the damaged sheets.

Is it something you could fix yourself? The plastic itself isn't massively expensive.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Unlike a car insurance, building insurance premium doesn't go up too much following a claim.

But what do you replace it with? If same material, then it can be damaged again in hail storm. If you claim thru insurance, they'd replace like for like and thus won't provide you a better material.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • sumaira1
    sumaira1 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I think before claiming for the roof o your car, you should make it clear from your insurance company. In fact, I think that you should make all the things clear with your insurance company so that there would be no uncertainty will take place in the future.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • srm1
    srm1 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Likely the insurers would class this an act of God and avoid payment but still put your premium up. - Watch out for the excess.

I currently rate Insurance companies somewhat below used car salesmen and politicians.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    srm1 wrote: »
    Likely the insurers would class this an act of God and avoid payment
    Insurers cover acts of god - such as storm, earthquake, flood

You've been watching too may films.
  • srm1
    srm1 Posts: 151 Forumite
    rs65 wrote: »
    Insurers cover acts of god - such as storm, earthquake, flood

You've been watching too may films.
    Read the policy small print as not every policy will cover this.
  • sue23
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Still waiting for quotes sadly as i have no idea how much this would cost !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure