Gift Ideas for Teachers/Teaching Assistants/Dinner Ladies

Comments

• I've been a teacher for 8 years now and for most of that I've been support for learning / job share so the gifts aren't as forthcoming as other lucky teachers!!! The gifts I appreciate the most are the ones that the kids have helped choose/written the cards. However wine is a good, well-appreciated one!

I also like chocolate, but too much can be difficult to store of your flat is small. I did manage and one year opened my last box in June!

Mugs - i seriously have too many as it is (tea jenny)

Smellies can be good - I'm on a budget so any treats appreciated..

Presents for the staff room good - especially if the family has 2/3 plus kids in the school

Snowy
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • My son usually wants to take a gift in too....last year i got a big wicker basket from pond shop and filled it with home made biscuits that my son had made and iced, homemade truffles and fudge which again he made and snowman soup, but we also put in satches of coffee and tea too with 4 cup (not best teacher ones) just some nice normal ones which can then be used by all in the staff room.

This year he wants to make a biscuit board for the whole staff room, so we are going to make 4 cookie xmas tree's and he is going to do most of it himself and then make some various xmas shapes biscuits, put them all on a tray and wrap in cellophane with a message handwritten by my son....it can then be left in the staff room for them all to enjoy.
  • suemj
    suemj Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone, it's good to get feedback on what others would do. I have never been one for buying the best teacher mugs and stuff as I figure they're too easy come easy go and could imagine the poor teacher having shed loads of them, so I've always tried to make handmade cards and then do a bit of chocolate and then I've given some craft items, some sort of punch for instance, but this can work out expensive. So this year I do want to try and go down the 'personalising' something, whether it's a chocolate bar, doing the sock cupcakes etc. Or may make some biscuits and wrap in nice cellophane packaging. Where is it best to get cellophane?

So does no one like the idea of the Cookies or Brownies in a Jar idea? Is that a no go?

Please do keep the ideas coming, it's especially useful getting an insight to what teachers themselves think.

As for Dinner ladies, I haven't personally ever given to any of them as wouldn't know where to start and would be afraid of missing someone out, whereas my best friend has done!

Many thanks,

Sue xx
  • What about a nice bookmark? or a nice pen with their name on? maybe not the most luxurious of ideas but will certainly get used lots I would have thought.

Last time we got ours some lovely fabric covered beaded notebooks from Accessorize - thought they were very pretty and would come in useful too.
  • I'm a teacher but for older students so don't really get bought gifts. I really like the sock cupcake idea or the pots of gold. I'm not a fan of smellies as there are lots I can't use (also see my comment in the regifting thread about my recycled gift with the added extra of a few pubes :) ) The shared gift voucher would be so nice. I also like chocolate and can never have too much. But all of us teachers appreciate a nice box of biccy's in the staffroom. I don't drink alcohol but that is usually a good gift to buy.

I do have a worlds greatest Teaching assistant magnet and photo holder which mean the world to me as a student with reading difficulties bought me it with their own money (they thought it said greatest teacher). Although I wouldn't like 30 of these this does mean a lot to me.
  • Another vote here for anything made by the child itself! Doesn't have to be expensive, or particularly crafty, but will mean a lot more than commercial carp!
    Over the last few years, my daughters have personalised mugs (29p each from good old Woolies RIP) and added hot chocolate/coffee sachets, decorated clear pencil cases (foam letters to spell out teachers name), decorated cheap notebooks and, more recently, home baked cookies (shhh - I used a packet mix - currently 3 for 2 at Tesco) and presented them in an old chinese takeaway container covered in stickers. Each time our gifts have been gratefully recieved and have cost a fraction of 'shop bought'.
    Just to add, my daughter left primary this year and we made a huge batch (well, 3 batches actually) of rocky road (google nigellas bog standard recipe and use supermarket value biccies and chocolate) and presented each of her teachers/TAs with a few pieces each then put the rest in an old ice cream container and asked someone to plonk it in the staff room. Cost just a few pounds but went down a storm - I was messaged on fb asking for the recipe by the office staff and a TA spotted some in my youngest's lunch box last week and said 'Oh, I remember when your sister made me some...' so I think it was a hit!
    Other than that, maybe something to use in the classroom? One year my DDs class ran out of glue sticks so a quick trip to home bargains and for less than the cost of a bottle of wine, we sent a load of cheapo glue sticks and some glitter glue! This year, I'm sending in a couple of mega packs of pencils bought from asda for 48p!
  • Does everyone give their child's teacher & TA a gift? I was just going to get DS to make them cards. Is that not considered a politically correct thing to do? Should we send in gifts as well?
  • My wife is a teacher, and the best present is a voucher of some sorts, as combined with other vouchers, makes a very nice, wanted present of her choosing.

I agree that mugs are plentiful in the house, there is only so much chocolate that you can eat and flowers (cut or potted) only last a short period.

Although vouchers may seem impersonal, when grouped, they are far more meaningful. We have several really nice presents around the house that we use often, and the OH knows exactly who bought them for her.
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My oh is a teacher and usually comes home with 12 boxes of chocs, at least 5 bottles of wine and umpteen best teacher pens, mugs etc.

The wine is always drunk over the Xmas period. Most of the chocs are regifted or put in a bowl for all visitors to eat.

This year I'll be doing snowman soup or mini bottles of wine and fererro rocher. The kids do homemade cards and help make the snoman soup.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    as someone who works in a school as a technician - boxes of biccies that we can all share, same with choccies.

lots of homemade cakes, biccies etc. dont seem so appealing when they've been in a bag all day carried around the school.

as a gift for a specific teacher - booze or gift cards or a homemade card type thing

mugs, pens etc no thanks! we have hundreds
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family