dangers of giving bank details to buyers?

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well with Barclays you get the option of puting in a ref name/number. You could ask seller to input the Ebay nimber or their user id.
  • kilo_2
    kilo_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    For sellers who are still fearful of giving their account details, it might be worth opening a second account with your bank (typically a basic one). You can then run this account empty but receive payments through this and then transfer the payment to your current account online.
  • Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 557
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is nothing wrong with giving out basic bank details ie. sortcode, account number and account name.
    A cheque has the same information and more + your signature on it.

Ebay obviously don't encourage this because it sidesteps fees to paypal, which is owned by them. In my Ebay dealings I have come across a number of sellers who are reticent about using this method of payment which can be a little irritating if they don't take paypal, if a quick transaction is required. Posting cheques is a pain and the kind of ebayer who is not flexible enough to take a direct payment to their bank account may well wait the required time for my cheque to clear before posting out goods.

As a previous poster has already said this is a free risk free method of transferring money and the sooner people become enlightened about this the better.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,036
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    For sellers who are still fearful of giving their account details, it might be worth opening a second account with your bank (typically a basic one). You can then run this account empty but receive payments through this and then transfer the payment to your current account online.

kilo, there is no need for all this opening other accounts and stuff. I am happy for anyone to have my bank sort code and account number, like rhino says this is a perfectly safe way for a seller to receive payment. After all, what can a buyer do apart from willfully pay money *into* your account ;) If having your sort code and account number available was a danger then surely they would have stopped us using cheques where this information is clearly shown, ages ago?

personally I like bank transfers where someone is reluctant to use paypal (I prefer paypal). I hate cheques with a passion. I *still* have an outtanding matter with a cheque in my account which has been going on now for over 6 weeks.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is nothing wrong with giving out basic bank details ie. sortcode, account number and account name.
    A cheque has the same information and more + your signature on it.

Ebay obviously don't encourage this because it sidesteps fees to paypal, which is owned by them.  In my Ebay dealings I have come across a number of sellers who are reticent about using this method of payment which can be a little irritating if they don't take paypal, if a quick transaction is required.  Posting cheques is a pain and the kind of ebayer who is not flexible enough to take a direct payment to their bank account may well wait the required time for my cheque to clear before posting out goods.

As a previous poster has already said this is a free risk free method of transferring money and the sooner people become enlightened about this the better.  

Oooh, all the conspiracy theory.

Obviously ebay encourage paypal because they own the business. But paypal also has some accountability and security for the buyer.

If you pay by direct bank transfer there is NOTHING to stop the recipient stealing your money and failing to deliver. OK you can give them bad feedback - big wow. But actually getting the money back will be murder compared to getting it back from paypal IMHO.
  • no dangers at all really

cheques have all your details (and signature for them to copy) anyway!

just plain account number and sort code and name are safe as houses

https://www.paypalwarning.com
    https://www.paypalsucks.com
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots

• But paypal also has some accountability and security for the buyer.
    Not unless the seller deigns to allow his PayPal account to be verified.

Generally, Bank Transfer is better than a cheque for the seller, carries the same risks as a cheque for the buyer, and is tons more convenient for both.

If eBayers are equipped to use eBay, then they are equipped to use online banking, what the hell's the matter with some of them?! They're confusing debit/credit card details with bank account details.

I'm fed up with sellers responding "I don't give my bank details out over the internet" and refusing to check with their bank before turning me down.

Rant-rant-rant!

veronarona
  • welnik
    welnik Posts: 541 Forumite
    "But paypal also has some accountability and security for the buyer" Have to disagree with this. If a buyer uses a stolen credit card and you despatch the goods the same day. Its a couple of days before you get to find out and basically PAYPAL deducts the money back from you and washes its hands of the matter. No seller protection whatsoever!
    Matched betting proceeds so far: £505.00
  • PAYPAL deducts the money back from you and washes its hands of the matter. No seller protection whatsoever!

Try Nochex - a British institution that operates in a similar way to PayPal, BUT they do not have chargebacks against the seller AND it's less expensive at 2.6% +20p - I think PayPal charge 3.4% ?? AND (do you need any more ANDs?) they transfer cash back to you in 3 - 4 working days, unlike PayPal's 7-9 days

enough, enough, enough......

I LOVE BANK TRANSFERS!!!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bump
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing