Lowell/mobile phone debt advice

Hi all,

I've just had a phone call from Lowell about an unpaid carphone warehouse debt.

Early last year, I took out a mobile phone contract for my daughter. Only £10 a month. When I tried to hook her phone up later that day, it wouldn't connect to the network. I took the sim pack back to the store & they had to set me up a whole new contract.

6 weeks or so later, I had an unpaid bill letter, for the number I hadn't used. I called them up & they told me they'd cancel the account & I had nothing to pay.

We moved house just after this, & ive just had this call from Lowell, so it would seem that the account was never cancelled after all!! Where do I stand with this?? The account never connected to the network, let alone made a call or text!!! I can't be expected to pay this £300 debt surely? I'm not sure what to do - any advice is much appreciated xx
If you have good thoughts, they'll shine out of your face like sunbeams & you'll always look lovely.

Comments

• bedhair
    bedhair Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 April 2017 at 9:53AM
    I had a similar experience with O2.
    We are 18 months down the line but the issue is still not resolved and is now with Resolver and the Ombudsmen.
    O2 sold the “debt” to Lowells and we received letters through the post from them chasing the debt. Like you, we took out a contract and cancelled within the cooling off period as we didn’t get adequate reception. We were incorrectly charged an early termination fee. As I have already said, we are still not resolved completely (pushing to have the debt search removed from credit file!) but I sent all correspondence to Lowells who agreed that there was no case and passed the “debt” back to O2.
    I would advise the following:
    Contact Carphone Warehouse asking for proof of return of the SIM.
    Open a case on Resolver - this will enable you to escalate the issue if needed.
    Contact Lowells and explain that you are opening a dispute case.

Good luck - Hasten to say, I have not received ANY correspondence from O2. Dreadful customer service following THEIR error!!!!!!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Unfortunately dealing with Mobile Network complaints can be a complete nightmare, as you get passed from pillar to post, no one wants to take responsibility, all of the big networks customer service is next to rubbish.

But to resolve this, you must follow the correct procedure.

Lowell have bought the debt not knowing a dispute exists, a simple letter to them saying your in dispute with 02 and to hold further action, will shut them up.

Then you must contact 02 again, either via resolver, or a written complaint (or both) as they are the only ones who can cancel the debt.

If that fails, there is a mobile ombudsman you can go to, but you have to try and resolve the matter with 02 first, before involving them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • suzieq
    suzieq Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I actually can't believe it but I called iD Mobile & got through to an extremely helpful lady. She listened, investigated & has passed the query through to her SMT as she can see that this has affected my credit file. I'll hear back within 3-5 days with a resolution.

Now THAT is how customer service should be done!!
    If you have good thoughts, they'll shine out of your face like sunbeams & you'll always look lovely.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    suzieq wrote: »
    I actually can't believe it but I called iD Mobile & got through to an extremely helpful lady. I'll hear back within 3-5 days with a resolution.

Now THAT is how customer service should be done!!

I hope they do resolve it for you, let us know.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure