Goods Not Collected from Store

In November 2016, I ordered some items from a well known high street retailer - online, for delivery to my local store. It took so long for the items to arrive, that I had changed my mind and didn't bother to collect them.

I knew the store would hold my order for a few weeks before attempting a refund, and with Christmas and Birthdays going on since then, I totally forgot about this order.

I have just checked my online account, it states "Order Complete - Collected by Customer". I didn't collect the items and having checked my bank account, I haven't received a refund either.

Does anyone know where I stand now?

Comments

• What did they say when you contacted them about this.
  • Rozie
    Rozie Posts: 9 Forumite
    I completed the "contact us" form and sent that in this afternoon, so don't expect to hear for a couple of days.

I just wondered if I have any rights I can forearm myself with, should I get an unsatisfactory response. I have seen on TrustPilot that they have poor customer service, especially where returns are concerned.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    What do their terms say about uncollected orders and a timeframe for a refund?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    mije1983 wrote: »
    What do their terms say about uncollected orders and a timeframe for a refund?
    Not sure that is relevant if the order is marked as collected by customer,

Best wait and see what they say first, I would be ringing them though.

Who is it
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    photome wrote: »
    Not sure that is relevant if the order is marked as collected by customer,

Of course it's relevant if the items haven't been collected, but each to their own.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I guess it depend how their ordering system works, I know with Screwfix you have to put your card in the machine and put your pin in to collect. Sports Direct you have to take your order number with you and ID. Currys you have to provide the last four digits of your card. So if wherever it is has a system like that then somebody has collected it and would have had confirmation/proof before the goods were released to them.

Asda I just gave my name and they handed my order over with no other checks and no proof asked for, so not all shops have secure processes for customer orders, if where you ordered was one of these places then there is a chance they have given your order out to the wrong person, it could be open to abuse with staff theft or even easy to hit the wrong button on the system and mark it as collected when it's not. With the first examples that's not possible because they require additional info from the customer to be input to the system before it can be marked as collected.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I guess it depend how their ordering system works, I know with Screwfix you have to put your card in the machine and put your pin in to collect.
    At my local Screwfix, they actually take a payment of 1p from the card as it's only when a payment or refund has been authorised that the PIN needs to be entered.
    They do always offer to give me the 1p in cash but it's something that I can live without.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    At my local Screwfix, they actually take a payment of 1p from the card as it's only when a payment or refund has been authorised that the PIN needs to be entered.
    They do always offer to give me the 1p in cash but it's something that I can live without.

Very strange they've never done that with me and since buying my house last year I've been ordering things there as often as weekly for the last six months between three different branches, they've never even mentioned a 1p thing and I've certainly never been charged, it's just a confirmation for their ordering system to release your order. I'd double check that with them next time if I were you, something isn't right there.
  • Rozie
    Rozie Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2017 at 3:34PM
    It's Peacocks. I've just found this on their Website regarding Click & Collect:

Please note: You will need to collect your order within 28 days from the date you receive your collection e-mail. If you do not collect your order within this time, we will expire your order and process a refund back onto your payment card.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Very strange they've never done that with me and since buying my house last year I've been ordering things there as often as weekly for the last six months between three different branches, they've never even mentioned a 1p thing

Maybe it varies between stores but after doing a quick google search, this came up:
    http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/buy-and-collect-protecting-against-card-fraud.291048/
    Screwfix make you pay over the net and then do a 1p payment in store to collect the goods you bought online. They then give you the 1p in cash !
    It's from 2013 so maybe it's an old system that they just haven't got around to changing in the store I use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure