The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Moneymash
    Moneymash Posts: 510
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Fermi,

Congratulations on your achievement. It is helpful to know the board guides have also experienced debt themselves.
    Debt-Free day 30th September 2014
  • That's brilliant fermi - I am so happy for you :j

Thanks for everything you do on these boards and all of the help and support you offer to us :T :A

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Well done Fermi xx

I never realised you were a DFW either. You've always been so helpful and supportive to everyone on both BFW and BR boards and you've given loads of great advice - much of your advice has been very helpful to me...thank you.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,817
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    So pl;eased for you Fermi :J :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Candy0107
    Candy0107 Posts: 1,642
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Congrats Fermi

Candy xx
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £17,000/£30,000
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 6 July 2013 at 9:56PM
    Hello all!

a. The date of your lightbulb moment:

March 2009 - had to move house and didn't have enough money to pay the deposit!

b. Debts at their highest -

around £5000

c. Debt-Free Date -

15th March 2011

d. Your one pearl of wisdom

- have plans for an end goal. My 'present' to myself was to go on holiday when everything was paid off. Also,don't be 'too' hard on yourself. Some months I managed to pay off loads, but then other months I couldn't manage to do so because other emergencies came up. It will happen in the end if the determination is there.

e. Which MSE guides helped you

So many - would be rude to single out. :)

f. Which forum threads helped you

The 'Storecupboard challenge'. I knew that grocery shopping was a big part of my budget, and having a budget on it for the first time ever meant I didn't need to worry about running out of food at the end of every month!
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Congrats NickJW, agree with you on the advise not to be to hard on yourself. Most of our journeys are long ones and we still have to live.x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • I've been on this Forum for long enough ;) so today I am delighted to announce that I ... AM ... DEBT FREE!!!

Date of LBM: years ago, but I finally got round to doing something about it when I started a DMP with StepChange (formerly CCCS) on 20 July 2007. Thank you StepChange!

Debts at their highest: £32,735 !

Debt free date: 02/07/2013

Pearl of wisdom: Take the plunge and DO something positive about your debt. By ignoring the phone calls, and binning the unopened letters, you are making matters worse. Be BRAVE! You CAN do it - just read the threads on this Forum.

Remember how hard it was to pay off those debts and never ever ever get into debt again!

Forum threads that helped: I am going to quote the fabulous Fermi on this one: Too many to count, but the people on BR board and DFW as a whole helped more than any individual thread.

LAST WORDS: I want to thank everyone on this BR board who have helped me through the dark days which were many.

I just would like to say to all of you contemplating taking the debtfree way - go for it! The feeling of sheer elation and .... well.... lightness that I now have knowing I don't owe a soul a penny just cannot be described in words. I jump up and down :j and air-punch every time I get another letter in the post confirming a debt is paid off! (which, being an overweight 60 year-old, is not a pretty sight :rotfl:)
    I incurred the debt, I repaid the debt - all of it!:o DMP started with CCCS 20/07/2007 Was £32,735. Paid off all my creditors (June 2013) 7 yrs ahead of original DFD.
    PPI claims won against Barclays x 2/ Egg x 1/ LV x . PPI claims rejected and then upheld Barclays/Egg x 2

• Bubbalou
    Bubbalou Posts: 59
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks for my badge Badger!!!
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    amber03 wrote: »
    Congrats NickJW, agree with you on the advise not to be to hard on yourself. Most of our journeys are long ones and we still have to live.x

Thanks Amber - will never get a credit card/overdraft again. Living within my means all the way! :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family