Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017

Comments

• *Jellie* wrote: »
    Not at all!
    I really struggle with trying to set budgets- I fluctuate between thinking I'll do hardcore zero spending and a more realistic goal. I decided to settle somewhere in the middle.
    Budgets make me panic automatically so I often follow my spending rules betters than budgets (partly because I've not been great at tracking spending so far!)

Oh yes, that's me all over! If I try the hardcore approach it works well for a bit, but when it goes wrong it goes really wrong. I'm allowing myself a small "buffer" allowance in everything I do in the hope it'll add up to less in the end.
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • May I join please :j
    We have a very frugal 2017 ahead so I will set myself a budget of £50 for the year. I hope to lose weight, so with charity shops and my sewing machine and stash of patterns and fabric I should be able to stay in budget:T
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Welcome to the challenge FrugalinShropshire, you are number 17. Best of luck with a frugal 2017 :)
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am back in please after failing badly last year :(

My budget is going to be £300 and 5 months without spending anything :eek:

I do have a wedding to go to in early Feb so may have to buy something if I cant get into my chosen outfit after putting on a few lbs :mad: I am joining you all with the healthy eating in the NY as I really dont want to buy anything for this wedding if I can help it ;)

Good luck to everyone both old timers at this and the newbies :D

Mav x

Oh and Happy Christmas

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• Kim_13
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    I am back in please after failing badly last year :(

My budget is going to be £300 and 5 months without spending anything :eek:

I do have a wedding to go to in early Feb so may have to buy something if I cant get into my chosen outfit after putting on a few lbs :mad: I am joining you all with the healthy eating in the NY as I really dont want to buy anything for this wedding if I can help it ;)

Good luck to everyone both old timers at this and the newbies :D

Mav x

Oh and Happy Christmas

Welcome back Mav, you are number 18.

Diet definitely needed for me, why does Christmas food have to be so nice? I was given a size large hoody and it's already tight!

Happy Christmas all
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello, I would like to join again.

I followed this and took part in this thread in 2016 and as I still have a few days of the year left to go I will hold off on declaring my total until the year is done.

I actually have some very complicated rules. I am planning on having a No Spend Year in 2017, but here are some rules regarding clothes.

1. Underwear and the like (Bra's, pants, socks, tights and plain black leggings) are allowed to be purchased freely.
    2. I will keep track of the weight I lose and for every 1lb I lose off of the previous months average weight I will put £1.50 in a savings tin.
    3. If I absolutely have to buy an item of clothing it must be paid for entirely in vouchers, so I will be converting my Top Cash Back and survey site earnings into clothes vouchers as and when I need them.
    4. If I (hopefully!) lose enough weight that my body shape dramatically changes shape and I do need to buy new clothes then I can use a combination of vouchers and the savings tin earnings.
    5. I am allowed to buy running shoes with cash not vouchers. All other shoes must be paid for with vouchers.
    6. My budget for the year, including spends with vouchers (which I must keep a tally of) is £360.
    7. I am greatly to encouraged to keep hold of the clothes and shoes I have and to prolong their life (as I hate waste) so spends on cobbling, dry cleaning, alterations etc are not included in the budget.

Good luck everyone!
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Kim_13
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Hello, I would like to join again.

I followed this and took part in this thread in 2016 and as I still have a few days of the year left to go I will hold off on declaring my total until the year is done.

I actually have some very complicated rules. I am planning on having a No Spend Year in 2017, but here are some rules regarding clothes.

1. Underwear and the like (Bra's, pants, socks, tights and plain black leggings) are allowed to be purchased freely.
    2. I will keep track of the weight I lose and for every 1lb I lose off of the previous months average weight I will put £1.50 in a savings tin.
    3. If I absolutely have to buy an item of clothing it must be paid for entirely in vouchers, so I will be converting my Top Cash Back and survey site earnings into clothes vouchers as and when I need them.
    4. If I (hopefully!) lose enough weight that my body shape dramatically changes shape and I do need to buy new clothes then I can use a combination of vouchers and the savings tin earnings.
    5. I am allowed to buy running shoes with cash not vouchers. All other shoes must be paid for with vouchers.
    6. My budget for the year, including spends with vouchers (which I must keep a tally of) is £360.
    7. I am greatly to encouraged to keep hold of the clothes and shoes I have and to prolong their life (as I hate waste) so spends on cobbling, dry cleaning, alterations etc are not included in the budget.

Good luck everyone!

Hi Florence J, welcome back.

That is quite a list; good luck with the weight loss and keeping track of everything.

You are number 19.

Kim
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I didn't post very often last year but I loved the challenge. So I am back for this year. Last year I set myself a budget of £150 and came in under it - but - I didn't include riding clothes. I am thinking for 2017 I will set myself a budget of £150 again with the following not included: 2 fleeces and 1 pair of wellingtons.

Now I know I can buy cheap wellingtons, but, I live and work in a rural location and have 2 horses and a dog so my wellingtons are something I wear a lot, and so I have really only one brand that fit well, are comfortable and expensive. I have not included the fleeces as I know I can get an inexpensive couple from a charity shop or the like, but these are something I will wear all year and want to really love, keep me warm and look good. They count as investment pieces :rotfl: I'm still wearing one that is 3 years old and has been worn for about a year of that :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • I have failed miserably at this over the last few years - using weight loss as an excuse. However, taking inspiration from some on here, I'm going to allow myself £2 for every pound lost as well as £300 for the year. I'm going to try to buy/up-cycle from charity shops and make/adapt my own clothes. I don't need any bags/footwear/scarves/accessories/jewellery. Clothes as gifts or bought from birthday money don't count!

Maybe I can do it this year! :)
  • Kim_13
    Welcome to Watty1 and black cat who are numbers 20 and 21 respectively. Both sound like very manageable budgets; good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure