PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord is selling - offered 1st refusal

I received notice from my lettings agent that the landlord intends to sell the property I am currently renting. They've said that the landlord would offer me first refusal if I wanted to buy the property.

I would be a first time buyer. I was not intending to buy right now but my wife and myself are really happy here and actually perhaps buying the property is a good idea. We should be able to cobble together enough for a minimum deposit. I have booked an appointment with a local mortgage broker to discuss my options and of course determine if I can even get a mortgage, full stop!

I'll run through a few numbers.

The landlady purchased the property in 2014 for £154,000 leasehold with 76 years remaining on the lease.

The agent has said the landlord has recently purchased the freehold and they would be looking for £199,950 IF the property were to go into the open market. No formal valuation has obviously taken place and she said this was a value based on similar properties for sale in the area.

I have done a couple of quick valuation (Zoopla) etc and they have suggested its value to be between £186,000-£194,000.

Would you suggest I get a proper estate agents valuation for myself?
Can I do this as just a tenant in a property? If so what's a ball park figure cost for this?
Do I have a good bargaining chip being the current tenant? Can I use this to my advantage in terms of an offer? I guess I would be saving the landlord certain fees etc right?

I'm hoping I'll know more after seeing the broker later in the week but I thought I would put this out to the good people of MSE forums who might be able to shed a bit of light on this situation for this unsuspecting tenant!

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't see why you could not ask an Estate Agent (EA) to come out and give you a valuation. I just would not tell them you are a tenant; pretend you are looking to sell it.

Getting a valuation should be free; it is not something anyone trying to sell a house would pay for. When doing so, it is usual (advisable) to get at least three valuations just as you would get three quotes for any work you wanted doing.

Once a seller signs up with an EA to sell their property, they will pay typically 1-3%+ of the selling price in fees so that is how much you could save your LL and therefore knock off your offer price.

It is a lucky seller who receives the asking price for their property. If you have ever bought a second hand car, you will know how to negotiate on price. Buying a house is just the same, only more expensive and probably scarier.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. HTH.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Google postcode and sold prices and see what similar properties have sold for on rightmove / land registry
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Lvl_chg wrote: »
    I received notice from my lettings agent that the landlord intends to sell the property I am currently renting. They've said that the landlord would offer me first refusal if I wanted to buy the property.

I would be a first time buyer. I was not intending to buy right now but my wife and myself are really happy here and actually perhaps buying the property is a good idea. We should be able to cobble together enough for a minimum deposit. I have booked an appointment with a local mortgage broker to discuss my options and of course determine if I can even get a mortgage, full stop!

I'll run through a few numbers.

The landlady purchased the property in 2014 for £154,000 leasehold with 76 years remaining on the lease.

The agent has said the landlord has recently purchased the freehold and they would be looking for £199,950 IF the property were to go into the open market. No formal valuation has obviously taken place and she said this was a value based on similar properties for sale in the area.

I have done a couple of quick valuation (Zoopla) etc and they have suggested its value to be between £186,000-£194,000.

Would you suggest I get a proper estate agents valuation for myself?
    Can I do this as just a tenant in a property? If so what's a ball park figure cost for this?
    Do I have a good bargaining chip being the current tenant? Can I use this to my advantage in terms of an offer? I guess I would be saving the landlord certain fees etc right?

I'm hoping I'll know more after seeing the broker later in the week but I thought I would put this out to the good people of MSE forums who might be able to shed a bit of light on this situation for this unsuspecting tenant!

Many thanks in advance!

Freehold or leasehold?
  • Lvl_chg
    Lvl_chg Posts: 17 Forumite
    The landlord has recently purchased the freehold
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The letting agent probably had a clause in the contract with the landlord that says that they will get paid commission if the landlord sells the property to the tenant. This means that selling to you probably won't make any difference to the selling costs. What it will save is having to evict you before selling.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lvl_chg wrote: »
    The landlord has recently purchased the freehold

But does zoopla know this though?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Lvl_chg
    Lvl_chg Posts: 17 Forumite
    Apparently so. The price Zoopla quotes is with freehold.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 March 2018 at 9:40AM
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    The letting agent probably had a clause in the contract with the landlord that says that they will get paid commission if the landlord sells the property to the tenant.

The High Court has ruled that those types of clauses are unfair and unenforceable.

But I suspect that some letting agents might have still have them in their contracts - and will try to get people to pay them.

If that happens to your landlord, you could point your landlord towards this article (and/or other similar ones):
    https://www.tpos.co.uk/images/documents/media-articles/property-drum-sept-12.pdf
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2018 at 1:34AM
    I would take the Zoopla 'valuation' with a pinch of salt. As an example, I looked at my house and my neighbours. Both identical, but Zoopla thinks one is worth £15k more than the other. And neither are at the price that 2 different houses (also same layout etc) a few doors down have sold for in the last 4 months.

Far better to look at other similar properties in the area and see what they have sold for to give you a better idea, or as said, get an EA or 3 round to value.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Is this a house or a flat?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If its a flat, how many in block?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If say 10 flats in block then having purchased the freehold would mean a 74 year lease on the flat and a 1/10th share of the freehold. So your flat still only has 74 years to go after which you hand it back to yourself and 9 other people. Ie you still need to be concerned about the lease term[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure