<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    My last attempt produced sludge!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Ha! Last time I tried making fudge we had a lovely jar of "fudge spread" as a result - mind you it was dangerously nice on toast...maybe I should try again?! :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Try again - I used to struggle with it but now I make the carnation one here substituting generic H&B sourced condensed milk.
  • MrsChaos
    MrsChaos Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Using a mix of dark and milk chocolate helps it set. I made a Christmas pudding and brandy version last year, which went down well.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,284 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oops is it my fault the Mr M wonky veg box is out of stock. Too many recommendations - I did the same with the Mr S coffee bags. Should be on commission :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Wonky veg box sounds good. I will check out my local to see if they have the box in my local :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Anyone looking for condensed milk, MrT has it on offer for £1. My Christmas food stash now contains two tins of condensed milk, one of caramel (also on offer), candied peel, flaked almonds and value chocolate (still 30p in MrM). Florentine, fudge, truffles, white chocolate cheesecake...

I did the fatal thing of going shopping in a spending mood, the day after payday. Happily I went to MrM, MrT, £stretcher and B&M rather than anywhere exciting so the total spend isn't that bad. Bought the boys some thick fluffy fleece blankets in £stretcher as they have both complained about being cold at night this week.

HHoD - you asked about the remortgage. It potentially has quite a big impact - fixed for 3 years, reducing the monthly payment by £85 per month for 3 years, and protects us from what would have been a £40 per month increase from Jan. We also shortened the term from 15 years to 12 years and 3 months which gives you an idea of quite how high our current rate is. The wheels of the legal bit seem to have stalled again but I'm hoping its all sorted for 1st Jan, December payment went out today so actually we will be borrowing £1k less than we asked for which should reduce the monthly payment a little further I think.

No wonky veg boxes, and not much wonky produce at all today but they did have the grapes again at £1.25 for 500g of italian grown 'crimson', rather than £2/400g of USA grown 'crimson' for the normal red grapes. I am trying really hard to actually eat, and to have some vitamins, so these and satsumas are a staple at the moment.

MrM also had their 'roasting beef' at £4.50/kg which was tempting but it is unnamed so could be silverside or brisket and the last beef we had from them was tough and tasteless despite pot roasting. I'd rather pay more and have better beef for roasting. Makes for cheap stewing meat if you cut it up and freeze it I suppose.
  • MrsChaos
    MrsChaos Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for pointing out the condensed milk. I need quite a lot to make fudge to give as presents. I think I'll visit Mr M this weekend (the fruit and veg offers sound interesting), although I'll probably not bother with the beef. There's still some gammon in the freezer for Sunday and don't want to stock up just yet.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Well done on the new mortgage. Saving £85 a month for 3 years is a mega saving.

I don't usually go to Mr M but you do seem to do well there so I will be paying them a visit.

Have a good day Redo.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Christmas stock pile is looking good Redo!

Hope the boys have been toasted warm with their new blankets xx
    Mummytogirls x

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport