Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Can't really see what the problem is, to be honest.

Yes, I've bought a TR6. No, it's not a joke. Regarding the money, I don't see the problem at all as we've not yet got enough to do the work to the house. I will continue to save next year, in the meantime the TR6 that I bought for a good price and should see £12,000-13,000 for should I sell it, will be both good fun and give a better return than keeping money sitting in the bank. If I choose not to sell, I've still got the asset.

Funny how it's OK on here to spend hours upon hours researching all manner of investments, yet it's not OK to buy something with a better return than the figures touted around.

However, I'd agree investing wisely and having some fun is taking the p***, indeed ... it's a very hard job but someone's got to do it. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    PrincessLou: I am sorting the budgeting out as we're keeping a record of our day to day spending which Mrs K has agreed to after some resistance. We can both see that we could cut out some spending which could be put towards something else.

Regarding overpayments, we overpay £250 per month but at present cannot afford anymore. I do want to clear the mortgage ASAP but think the best way would be to sell the house.

Wife isn't a big fan of TR6s but is OK with it. I've always liked them and it can keep the GT6 company for a bit. Already explained I've got it for a good price and even if I don't sell it's a nice (appreciating) asset to have. House needs the roof doing before the bathroom, thinking about approaching my favourite bank ;) about this next spring.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi Alex, I prefer to not get too involved in the online hammering you will get for buying the car even if you may have asked for it :p (I do like tr6's myself) but did have a chuckle at your comment about clearing the mortgage "I do want to clear the mortgage asap but think the best way would be to sell the house"

Just made me think perhaps martin should list that as one of his tips to pay your mortgage off early :money:

Sorry Alex couodn't resist.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AlexLK wrote: »
    House needs the roof doing before the bathroom, thinking about approaching my favourite bank ;) about this next spring.

Would this be the bank of mum and dad?:(

My take on the TR6 is that as you managed to clear your debts by selling similar assets (pens, spare parts etc) that you'd accumulated over time You must have a good eye for what will sell on and what's just frivolous spending.

What constantly disappoints is that despite huge changes that I've noted in your attitude to life in general since following your diaries you just can't get past the fact that your parents hold that golden ticket to a future free of financial responsibility although IMO it's a huge barrier to you planning an independent future for yourself, MrsK and LittleK. I suppose that will never sit comfortably with posters on here as the vast majority of mse people join the site because they want to take control and responsibility for their finances.
  • As always, maman has summed things up wonderfully.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • maman wrote: »
    I suppose that will never sit comfortably with posters on here as the vast majority of mse people join the site because they want to take control and responsibility for their finances.

This. I just don't really understand why you'd want to be in anyone's pocket, especially the pocket of someone who belittles you as much as your parents seem to do, Alex.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Very quiet around here, hope all ok :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Last tme you went quiet on us Alex it was because you had bought a car :rotfl:
    Any more revelations awaiting ..... :rotfl:

Seriously, hope you are well.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    No revelations, Debs.

To be honest, I don't think I can carry on with MSE. I've not managed to keep track of the spending which I'm not happy about and would like to do.

maman: I would like to be in a position to take control and responsibility for my finances but am not in that position. When I joined here I really hoped things could be different.

HBS: I earn very little money, as a consequence have no other choice.

NG: TR6 is good fun but realistically I think I'll keep it for one year and then sell, as the plan is for it to go towards the work that needs doing to the house.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AlexLK wrote: »
    I would like to be in a position to take control and responsibility for my finances but am not in that position. When I joined here I really hoped things could be different.

HBS: I earn very little money, as a consequence have no other choice.

Good to see you back:).

Alex, you might have very little money but that doesn't mean you can't make the most of it and spend it wisely. That's what mse is all about and without stating the obvious there are so many on here far worse off than you.

I'm one that believes your new car is wise spending as hopefully you'll make a profit (probably far more than banking it) and meantime it'll make you happy and you need that.

How's Christmas preparation going? Is LittleK excited?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure