Is Bumping Threads Allowed?

Hi All

Are there any rules in the forums on bumping threads? It doesn't seem to happen so often now, but I've seen a few cases in forums recently.

Personally I don't think it should be allowed. People don't seem to realise that by bumping a thread, they are putting every other thread down a notch. What about the poor people who have posted recently and found their own message buried down a thread because someone found what they think is a useful message and bumped it. We all view messages differently. What's useful for one person may not be so useful for someone else. This is why I'm against this happening.
How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
Fish

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Your right ,what one person finds useful another won't however unless several are bumped on the same board in a relatively short time..................new posts won't move down much at all.

It is usual though if anyone bumps a thread that they say why they have done so .................for instance ,bumped for so and so .........or bumped as information is relevant at that time.

Those that bump anonymously are discouraged from doing so................

hope that helps

it can seem pointless at times but there usually is a reason even though it may not seem apparent at the time:D
  • sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    how would you bump anonymously ?:confused:

dont worry am not wanting to do it - i only found out what bumping was about a month ago :p
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sunflower wrote:
    how would you bump anonymously ?:confused:

dont worry am not wanting to do it - i only found out what bumping was about a month ago :p

People used to be able to post a reply and then delete it immediately, leaving the thread at the top of the page. With this new technology, we can see who has deleted the thread so not so anonymous now!

As for the principle of bumping, there aren't any 'rules' about it. Sometimes a useful thread is 'missed' because it was posted at a busy time and might be worth bringing back. Others are just longstanding discussions.

I don't have a problem with bumping posts, but I suppose it depends on the relevance of that particular post and the popularity of the board in question.
  • jo_b wrote:
    People used to be able to post a reply and then delete it immediately, leaving the thread at the top of the page. With this new technology, we can see who has deleted the thread so not so anonymous now!

As for the principle of bumping, there aren't any 'rules' about it. Sometimes a useful thread is 'missed' because it was posted at a busy time and might be worth bringing back. Others are just longstanding discussions.

I don't have a problem with bumping posts, but I suppose it depends on the relevance of that particular post and the popularity of the board in question.

My only question there would be "relevance to what?" to some people its going to be totally irrelevant - and as for the popularity of the board, thats that board, not the "thread in question".

In certain respects bumping is "okay", which is about as much as I'll say about bumping. I personally think its totally unnecessary if a thread is *that* important, it'd be made sticky, right? ;)

But anywho, its a case of "whatever floats yer boat" I suppose.... somehow I don't ever think its going to be stopped, so I learn to live with it :D:D
    ~ Thom

I am Darth Cupcake; I am a powerful squirrel.
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes. I totally agree. Some things are going to be really useful to some people but not others. There isn't much that you can do to satisfy everyone. :confused:

Sometimes it is useful to bump threads, in my own opinion, if an offer is about to end, for example. It only annoys me when a thread is bumped and it is totally out of date or a closed offer.

The new sub-boards on grabbit and freebies help with this problem, though.
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There was a thread bumped today which was to bring it to the attention of something someone was asking in another thread. I think this was a totally inappropriate bumping of a thread, as the objective could easily have been obtained by providing a link to the thread, rather then bumping it up a couple of pages.
  • I can't believe is can be sensible to ban bumping posts completely.
    I've no interest in the ING referrals thread now as my 5 £10 referrals have been used but as the expiry date for this offer is the 31st March it seems in the best interests of readers (who stand to benefit £10) and referees (who also stand to gain £10) to keep that thread in the focuss of attention. Once a thread drops off the bottom of the page it's more or less moribund so reinvigorating it, to the benefit of all concerned, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

However, I'm not sure if I'm guilty of this or not. I think I may simply have edited my post and not bumped it, but that may have been because somebody else had bumped it previously.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have to confess to bumping! I bump posts from a second page back over to the first, if they have been left unanswered in the 3 boards that I look after. It could be that the one person that can help these people hasn't logged on for a while and therefore not seen the post, I'm just trying to be helpful.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Obviously not, since my last post was deleted. :rolleyes:

C'mon mods, where's your sense of fun? :confused:

:rotfl:

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    savvy wrote:
    I have to confess to bumping! I bump posts from a second page back over to the first, if they have been left unanswered in the 3 boards that I look after. It could be that the one person that can help these people hasn't logged on for a while and therefore not seen the post, I'm just trying to be helpful.

This is a good idea especially as some boards move so fast.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure