GB Energy - threat of legal action

sd99
sd99 Posts: 39 Forumite
Six months ago I switched away from GB Energy (now the Co-op). I knew that I owed about £20 but I obviously had to wait for their final bill. I assumed I'd be about three months for my next quarterly bill, but that never appeared. Six months later I finally received an email saying that a new bill had been generated and that I owed, as expected, just over £20. The bill said that I had 30 days to pay. Fair enough, I'll sort it at the weekend.

Three days later, before I had chance to pay, I received a letter in the post from GB Energy stating "Threat of Legal Action" and that my account would be passed onto a debt collection agency, with additional threats of impacting my credit rating and additional charges.

I think this is appalling, and if an elderly person received it, I could imagine that they would be frightened and panicking at receiving threats like this. I phoned GBE up and complained (as well as paying my final bill) but they didn't seem to care about the threat, and just said the system sends it automatically. That is no excuse. Companies shouldn't be able to threaten people like this, especially after 3 days of the bill being issued.

My mum is also with GBE, and once her fix is up in a few months I will have no hesitation in switching her to a more reputable company.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I just had similar nonsense from Reading Borough Council. (Recently got a rental property back from tenants so have to pay the council tax for a while.)

As above, a bill came, then the next day a letter threatening imprisonment if I don't pay up.

I know Reading Borough Council don't like landlords, but !!!!!!? :)
  • I am being pursued for a supposed debt from Future Energy defunct, when in fact I closed the account six months before they went bust. I sent proof to CDS Global debt collectors and they are just ignoring me and stepping up the action.
    I made a formal complaint about the Insolvency practitioner which employed CDS, through the Gov.uk website. I would suggest you write to the IP, whose name will be on the letters you have had and tell them if they don't control the the debt agency they employed, you will register a formal complaint against them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure