Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I know people whose tips are more than twice their salary.

You don't know anyone who is earning that in Bella Italia, Nandos, Wagamama or the local Chinese or Indian restaurant.....................

Like I said again.........I give it to them for them. After that it's up to them.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 4 January 2018 at 2:13PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    So if the system allows them to pay a "small" amount of tax then why would they pay more?. You don't pay more than you legally have to so why do you expect them to pay more.

But like you said if you don't agree with the current tax legislation then you need to contact your MP, start a campaign etc and get it changed. But telling specific people to avoid tax just because you disagree with tax laws is very contradictory.

So you wan't people to be able to receive tips tax free.

Can't you see how that could be exploited, everyone would be paid minimum wage and anything over that would be "tips".

This is another good example of why tipping is such a flawed concept. People should be paid to do a job and get paid to do a good job and rewarded by their employer. Why should only the waiting staff get extra money when the main reason people go to restaurants is for good food which is cooked by staff in the kitchen and nothing to do with the waiting staff.

I won't be doing anything other than what I said I will be doing. and the reasons I gave. The MPs and system know what is being done, dont talk like a child..

All the while the system allows the multinationals, NHS abusers, Fat cats, Bankers and MPs to manipulate the system I will let my own morals decide who and when I tip. And that wont change because you pipe up! lol
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    ... Is dont talk like a child..

Someone is talking like a child. But it's not takman.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 4 January 2018 at 2:43PM
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Someone is talking like a child. But it's not takman.

Then stop doing it............lol
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    You don't know anyone who is earning that in Bella Italia, Nandos, Wagamama or the local Chinese or Indian restaurant.....................
    Really? In a busy restaurant, this is easily possible.

Let's say they serve 9 tables in a 3 hour period. Each table has 6 diners. Each diner has a meal costing £10. Half of the diners decide to tip 10%. That's £27 in tips for 3 hours work. Minimum wage for 3 hours is £22.50. And that's working on a low spend (£10) and assuming only half leave a tip.
  • scd3scd4
    edited 5 January 2018 at 10:30AM
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Really? In a busy restaurant, this is easily possible.

Let's say they serve 9 tables in a 3 hour period. Each table has 6 diners. Each diner has a meal costing £10. Half of the diners decide to tip 10%. That's £27 in tips for 3 hours work. Minimum wage for 3 hours is £22.50. And that's working on a low spend (£10) and assuming only half leave a tip.

How about you speak to a waiter in the above and ask. Rather than all the pointless maths. That said they can still keep it from me..............as can the barber who gets a £1.
  • depapepe
    Options
    Bad at math makes me difficult to calculate tips.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 10 January 2018 at 11:50AM
    Options
    depapepe wrote: »

Just move the decimal point one place to left.

Bill is £65.75, tip is £6.57. Round up to £7.00
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    depapepe wrote: »
    Most US restaurants print tip calculations on the bill (sorry, "check"). They never seem to start below 17.5% and I once saw one giving the calculation for 30% :eek: (I suppose it was one of the wealthier areas of Los Angeles, but still seems excessive).

Thankfully this habit doesn't appear to have spread to the UK yet.
  • frankennsteiny
    Options
    yes i do if the service and meal has been good
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family