PC games - Steam or Windows Store

I am thinking of buying a digital version of the game Call of Duty to play on a PC. The only place to purchase it is from the Windows Store using the Windows Store app on my Windows 10 PC, or on Steam.

Which is the best store to buy the game? How is the player base on COD games on Microsoft/Xbox servers and Steam servers?

I understand that Xbox Live subscripton isn't needed for online multiplayer for PC. Is this still the case?

Comments

• Bamber19
    Bamber19 Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    I know with Infinite Warfare the windows store version meant you only played with other Windows Store users and it wasn't too busy. I'd personally go with steam.
    Bought, not Brought
  • King_Nothing
    King_Nothing Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Steam, always, windows refunded loads of people when they found out people weren't happy about being restricted.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Steam, most definitely if you have the choice go Steam.

MS have already shut down their Windows games platform locking out people's paid for games at least once.
    Fortunately for a number of the non MS games if you had the activation code they were then enabled on Steam by the relevant developers.

Also if you go Steam then some games bought on Steam can be activated on a Good Old Games account if you link them :)
  • it wont require
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Bamber19 wrote: »
    I know with Infinite Warfare the windows store version meant you only played with other Windows Store users and it wasn't too busy. I'd personally go with steam.

I was planning to buy the CoD Infinite Warfare Digital Legacy EDition from the Windows Store.

How is the player base for CoD for Steam and Windows Store?

Nilrem wrote: »
    Steam, most definitely if you have the choice go Steam.

MS have already shut down their Windows games platform locking out people's paid for games at least once.
    Fortunately for a number of the non MS games if you had the activation code they were then enabled on Steam by the relevant developers.

Also if you go Steam then some games bought on Steam can be activated on a Good Old Games account if you link them :)

What do you mean by 'MS have already shut down their Windows game platform locking out people's paid for games at least once'? The Windows Store still sell the games though.....

The CoD game I want can be purchased in Steam. The price is cheaper too compared to the Windows Store.
    Steam, always, windows refunded loads of people when they found out people weren't happy about being restricted.

Ok, will go with Steam as long as the number of players on it is more than Windows Store players.

Why are games purchased from the Windows Store being restricted? Please elaborate.
  • Billy101
    Billy101 Posts: 48 Forumite
    STEEEAAAM! I got 4 on this summer sale. Rainbow six siege, Arma 3, CSGO, Payday (was free and still is untill 5 million copies sold) and Argo!
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    book12 wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'MS have already shut down their Windows game platform locking out people's paid for games at least once'? The Windows Store still sell the games though.....

I assume they're referring to Games for Windows Live which was generally a mess and an even bigger mess when microsoft pulled the plug on it completely:

https://www.howtogeek.com/244902/why-pc-gamers-hated-microsofts-games-for-windows-live/

I wouldn't buy anything on the Windows App store unless I had to as it can be problematic and it lacks basic features like backup/restore so for a 110GB game you have to download it again for a new install. Even if you have a fast connection the Windows store can be difficult as the client can be unreliable and get stuck during a download.

I'm not a huge fan of Steam and I've had issues with it as well but in general it works well.

John
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I assume they're referring to Games for Windows Live which was generally a mess and an even bigger mess when microsoft pulled the plug on it completely:

https://www.howtogeek.com/244902/why-pc-gamers-hated-microsofts-games-for-windows-live/

I wouldn't buy anything on the Windows App store unless I had to as it can be problematic and it lacks basic features like backup/restore so for a 110GB game you have to download it again for a new install. Even if you have a fast connection the Windows store can be difficult as the client can be unreliable and get stuck during a download.

I'm not a huge fan of Steam and I've had issues with it as well but in general it works well.

John
    Aye it was GFWL, I lost access to about a dozen games when it folded.
    Fortunately several of the better ones ended up having their key made usable on Steam (one took about 2 years), as they were not MS games and the publishers realised how ***** it was for their legitimately purchased games to stop working simply because MS pulled the plug on a service (It's the sort of thing that can and will put people off buying games from a publisher).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure