PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May Update: What are you growing in 2006? (Tips here for Fruit, Veggies and Flowers!)

Comments

• Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    annie-c wrote:
    I've just planted some seeds in pots outside, according to the packet instructions, so I'm guessing they're not susceptible to frost. I'd pot it on in a bigger pot, or plant it outside at the back of a border and wait for it to grow 8ft tall... but others may have more cautious (and more knowledgeable) advice to offer....

They are susceptible to frost! On my pack anyway. Be careful.

If it is straggly all you can do before it goes outside is to keep it somewhere with a lot of light and not much heat as it's heat that makes them grow too tall too quick. Also you will need to give it support when you pot it on, so you'll need to tie it to a cane or stick.

I actually have one in my windowsill that is just under 4ft tall and I can't wait to get them outside. lol. It will probably be too tall for my 4ft window tomorrow. Please hurry last frosts...
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    OK, I take it back - After all the good advice on here, I'd trust Strepsy over the instructions on the back of a packet from HyperValue!!!!
  • tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    Ahh, thanks too you both;)
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • Strepsy
    annie-c wrote:
    OK, I take it back - After all the good advice on here, I'd trust Strepsy over the instructions on the back of a packet from HyperValue!!!!

Actually I'm slightly confused now as though it says to transplant outdoors when frosts have ended it is also labelled a 'hardy annual'. :confused: So I'm really not sure. I'm not going to risk my 4 footer but maybe I'll put one of the smaller ones out...
  • Strepsy
    Well I posted on the 'Grow Your Own' site to get some extra advice and they say that I should keep them in or cover while they're outside. Mine are just too big now to cover but for little ones save up any drinks bottles for mini cloches and it sounds like they'll be fine.

Here's 4'9" DD with our biggest!

DSC01999.jpg
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Arrrgggghh rotten snails - they have got into my mini greenhouse and eaten 3 of my pepper seedlings and I only had 5 growing to start with :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    I've had snails in the greenhouse eating my peppers too, Moggins - I brought back in 2 each of peppers and chillis, just to be on the safe side....and I gave the greenhouse a good going over, looking under all of the shelves etc, to get rid of any pesky hidden ones, before moving it right away from any soil.
  • tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    Thanks strepsy for the lovely pic ,and advice:D
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just got out my old long planter box and an old 'top' window, chucked in some compost, chucked in seeds.....lettuce, raddish, parsley and flower meadow. Popped window on top - mini greenhouse :j unheated of course.

It's worked in years before I just got out of the habit of growing from seed. I have in seed trays what my grandaughters sowed coming up nicely indoors:-
    Nastirtiums Sunflowers Night scented stock and something I can't remember.:D
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Hullo!:hello:

Wonder if someone could help me!! I have three pots on my window sill, one with coriander in it, one with sweet basil and one with parsely. Planted all these seeds at the same time and they are all sprouting nicely! The coriander is however seeming to "overgrow" it's getting really tall with only small leaves at the top. Is this right? When do I start putting it in my cooking?

How long does basil take to grow into the kind of plants you buy in the shops?

Same with the parsley.

I can post a photo of these later if it would be easier to advise that way?

Also, can I just get a lettuce leaf and plant it in a pot and hope that leaves grow so that I can just trim them off for salads???

Sorry for the long post!!! Really want to get my growing right!!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure