MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you report him to the police?

Comments

• Chris_Evas
    Chris_Evas Posts: 10 Forumite
    I would NOT report him, I take my hat off to him, he,s getting back some of the profits that we help the greedy B****** make.
    He,s got guts, albeit it is a criminal offence he,s commited.
    Lets get GUNS & KNIVES off our streets before we report this man who,s hit hard times.
  • Take a look at america, how come there petrol is so cheap ? well i will tell you, it is because there is no way they would stand for the price increases (TAX) as we do.
    We need to stand up and be counted and let the government know, We are not going to stand for it !!!!!
    I couldn't agree more. The British public will just sit back and do whatever they're told whilst quite frankly this government takes the p**s. The BP/Esso boycott would work if people could be bothered to do it but they don't. Theres just as many people buying fuel at my local Esso when theres a Tesco garage just around the corner! Petrol prices will continue to rise because we allow it to happen. Why are we not rioting at the pumps? Anyone want to join me?

And no I wouldn't report anyone for stealing anything from multi-million pound companies who commit legalized daylight robbery every single day. I would congratulate him for getting away with it.
  • If he got his fuel from a garage in Bournemouth, the texaco one in Charminster and southborne then no as i have had my card cloned from them and they have taken £500 plus from my bank account and my business account just before the bank holiday weekend which has been confirmed from my bank.

Fuel companies are raking in the profits and so is the gov BY RIPPING US OFF so no i wouldn't.
    end the tv tax
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 696
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have this notion in my head that says 'if something has been told you you by a friend that has obviously been told in confidence - then you keep that confidence'. So, no, I would not become 'Big Brother' and report him to the police. I would do my utmost to persuade him that it is a foolish thing to do and try to make him aware of the risk he is taking with regard to being caught and the ultimate affect that would have on his family - and income - and I would hope he would listen. I would also say that I would rather not be privvy to any other illegal activities he might choose to engage in. But I would not break a confidence from a friend or relative unless it involved life and/or safety.
    Friends talk to each other, they do not police each other.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    He would have been captured by the CCTV cameras anyway so the police would already now about it. As he was my friend, I would know that this was deeply out of character for my friend and there is obviously a more underlying problem - he is possibly suffering from depression.

I would offer support and help and a friend would. I would also suggest that he gives himself up and I would help. As mentioned he is on CCTV (if in his own car, which is likely as its out of character and he is obviously not thinking straight) and the police will be at their door at some point. By owning up, at best the police will accept its out of character, first offence and his offer to pay - thereby dropping the matter. Worse case is the store would insist on prosecution, but even so, the worst outcome is community service for a first offence.

My friend would need help if he (she) has stooped this low. And as a friend, I would be offering that help, not reporting them.
  • pete114
    pete114 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Supposing this is not his normal behaviour, of course telling the police is not really an option where a friend is concerned. On the other hand he does need some stern advice as things are not going to get any better.
    He's just taking the initiative - many others will join him soon! So begins 2-3 decades of pain, financial hardship and possibly many small wars, as the world has to get used to living without oil. I imagine it won't be long before we have barrier systems and heavy security at fuel outlets.
    I know this is all hyperthetical but the fact the subject is raised and opinion polarised tells a tale in itself - its a big task, but try and oil-proof yourself as much as you can now!
  • riky.p
    riky.p Posts: 2 Newbie
    Personally I would take him into custody there and then. Then help him by showing him the correct path to take.
    Although I accept at this point in time he might possibly not want to talk to me, but as an adult you should be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. Regardless of friendship, the law is the law it’s there for everyone to abide by. We may not like it but it’s there. Idiocy like this wastes so much time and requires extensive administrative effort.
    There are millions of us that look down on people for being on benefits, is it any wonder why our imaginary friend committed a crime? Or maybe it is the glamorization of crime.
    At the end of the day we all talk nonsense on about cannabis being a gateway drug (which it is) what about this hypothetical situation? Isn't this a gateway crime?
  • Gordon861
    Gordon861 Posts: 287
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If this was a close friend and totally out of character I probably wouldn't report him this time. I would also lend/loan/give him the money to get down the station now and pay the bill before the cops turn up.

There are some laws that you can argue to let slide, others are so obviously morally wrong as well as legally.
  • I wouldn't report him, but I would tell him that the petrol station WILL have it on camera and probably send the police to him. Better for him to sort it out before the police get him (oh sorry Mr petrol station owner, I forgot to pay and came back *play dumb*)

I'd point him towards this site.
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • I would report him. I work in a petrol station for a low wage, but I pay the £53 to fill my tank.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport