How long does it take to receive a credit card?

Hi

As anybody got any idea roughly how long you wait for a c.c, we are going away 4th Aug and was going to apply hoping we would have received it by then, do you think I am hoping too much?

Comments

• exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Having had a high number of c/cards in my time I'd say you've got no chance of getting one by 4th Aug if you haven't already applied.

I would say you are looking at the very minimum 2-3 weeks, and a maximum of up to 8 weeks depending on who you apply to. Average I'd say is 3-4 weeks.
  • greengrass
    greengrass Posts: 228
    Forumite
    Thank you for your advice, looks like I will have to borrow off one account then and pay it back when I come back.
  • Money_Man
    Money_Man Posts: 160 Forumite
    greengrass wrote: »
    Hi

As anybody got any idea roughly how long you wait for a c.c, we are going away 4th Aug and was going to apply hoping we would have received it by then, do you think I am hoping too much?

Quite a few Card companies do instant decisions via the phone now but it would still be tight. You could ask for delivery within 24 hours, but you generally pay a premium of around £35 for this service.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978
    Forumite
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to apply for and receive a card within 24hours whether you are given an instant decission or not as cards are not despatched until the company receives a signed copy of the credit agreement by return of post. On top of that you have delays for admin, CRA checks etc.
  • Money_Man
    Money_Man Posts: 160 Forumite
    Yes, of course you will need to wait for the T & C's, I should have been clearer in the original posting, possibly 3 days for T & C's to arrive then a day to process so if he applied now he could have the T & C's by the weekend and send them back, they could probably get a card to him by Wednesday or Thursday next week.
  • dobbie82
    dobbie82 Posts: 321 Forumite
    could you get a credit card from your bank?

they can give you a form, usually give you a decision there and then, you can read T+C's, sign dotted line, they can check ID in branch and shouldnt take more than a week to get your card.... well thats the theory! I applied yesterday (natwest)
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    If you are accepted straight away without having to provide additional information then you can get a post Office card in less than I week and barclaycard too in my experience.
  • Dave_®f©
    Dave_®f© Posts: 228
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I got a Nationwide credit card in about two weeks but the pin took another week after activating the card.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I was instantly accepted for a Halifax card some weeks ago, but still no card yet.
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think it normally takes around 3 to 4 weeks from the date you make the application (ONLINE) if you are lucky enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure