job centre 'travel to interview' scheme stopped!

wow...I have been to 3 interviews which cost me £75 last week thanks to the rip-off train fares, and I was hoping I would be able to claim the money back, but it looks like the travel to interview scheme has stopped...

I mean what is the government doing? trying to make it as miserable as possible for those who are poor? some of us are trying to dig our way out, not all of us are scrounging scum

the whole reason I don't have a job is because of government cuts in the first place, and now we are getting penalised like it is our fault! as if we are all lazy dopers...

honestly I am sick of this

Comments

• Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Wow, you're right - why on earth has this been done? Never heard anything about this until your post.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/programmesandservices/DG_173631
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    so, if theres no work in your area, and you find work in a different area, you cant take it to interview stage anymore - wonder whos brainy idea this was to save a few pound.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • BodyElectric
    BodyElectric Posts: 122 Forumite
    Ridiculous!

Although you would not have been able to claim it back afterwards anyway, you had to claim it before you went.
  • At my work the Job Centre have just refused to pay for train tickets for someoen to attend an induction - they can't afford to come without it so we've had to withdraw their job offer - !!!!!!?!
  • BodyElectric
    BodyElectric Posts: 122 Forumite
    juggler7 wrote: »
    not all of us are scrounging scum

You seem to have swallowed the government line in this respect tho', as far as I am concerned no one is as you describe above.
  • Ihatecameron
    Ihatecameron Posts: 406 Forumite
    You seem to have swallowed the government line in this respect tho', as far as I am concerned no one is as you describe above.

Quite right, it is the idle rich that have never done a days work in their lives who are the real lazy sods. The benefit system is there to provide free and very cheap labour for them.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Welcome to the Tories. Same as they were in the 1980's and early 90's. Its almost as if they want an underclass to scoff at. One wonders whether Cameron wants to beat Maggies unemployment record.
  • persa
    persa Posts: 735 Forumite
    juggler7 wrote: »
    wow...I have been to 3 interviews which cost me £75 last week thanks to the rip-off train fares, and I was hoping I would be able to claim the money back, but it looks like the travel to interview scheme has stopped...

I mean what is the government doing? trying to make it as miserable as possible for those who are poor? some of us are trying to dig our way out, not all of us are scrounging scum

the whole reason I don't have a job is because of government cuts in the first place, and now we are getting penalised like it is our fault! as if we are all lazy dopers...

honestly I am sick of this

What do you mean by "it looks like"? Where did you hear this?

I have an interview in a few weeks' time - a couple of days before I go, I have an appointment with the Job Centre to sort out my travel warrant to get there and back. (Already discussed and agreed in principle - the appointment is to show them proof of my interview.)
  • Ihatecameron
    Ihatecameron Posts: 406 Forumite
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Welcome to the Tories. Same as they were in the 1980's and early 90's. Its almost as if they want an underclass to scoff at. One wonders whether Cameron wants to beat Maggies unemployment record.

More unemployed and less educated is a step closer to Camerons work for dole policy, that is the thinking behind the "big society". As long as those who rule over us are well catered for, it does not matter what happens to the rest of us.
  • persa wrote: »
    What do you mean by "it looks like"? Where did you hear this?

I have an interview in a few weeks' time - a couple of days before I go, I have an appointment with the Job Centre to sort out my travel warrant to get there and back. (Already discussed and agreed in principle - the appointment is to show them proof of my interview.)

There was a link in the thread

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/programmesandservices/DG_173631

"Important update: Travel to Interview scheme is now closed
    The Travel to Interview scheme is now closed. Please speak to your Jobcentre Plus adviser for more information."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure