Post Office credit card - refund of balance transfer fee

Has anybody recently opened a Post Office credit card where the balance transfer fee is refunded within 90 days? If so, typically how long did it take to receive the refund? I'm getting close to the 90 day limit and there is still no sign of the refund and I was wondering if they really would drag it out to the bitter end.

Comments

• f00dman wrote: »
    yeah done same to me saw the deal on MSE went to site applied for card finally got one but after transferring balance and being worried about service checked and found i have matched card and not platinum there record says i applied for matched card and to get in touch with MSE to see if they have a record of my access to the application.
    just about to do that NOW

Let me know how you get on, I did the same
  • Thought this happened to me to. I had no email when I applied to confirm the application. Then received the cards, didn't look at them straight away but then checked and realised that the leaflet enclosed with the card was for a 'matched' credit card ie. the balance transfer fee isn't refunded!!
    I'd done a balance transfer with the application and this was actioned immediately by the post office & so I was worried that I'd now have a hefty fee to pay. Phoned them up and the guy at the other end said I definitely had a platinum credit card and so I guess they have just sent out the wrong information leaflet with the card - guess I'll find out in three months when hopefully the balance transfer fee is (or isn't) refunded! Got to admit worried a little and not the hassle free transfer I was hoping for.
  • puk999
    puk999 Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My 90 days are up "roughly" tomorrow. No refund yet. I'll update when this changes...
  • puk999
    It's now been about 96 days. Called Post Office CC and they guy wasn't helpful at all. He kept asking me if I did the balance transfer online or over the phone. I said I think I did it online. I'm not sure why this distinction is important?

There was a bit of a conflab about whether the Platinum or Matched card is the one carrying the BT fee refund offer. He claimed back when I applied the Matched card was the one that did this. All I know is I applied for the one that refunded the fee. Currently this is showing on their site as the Platinum card. He couldn't access the site to see and was very unclear which type of card had which offer on.

He raised a complaint on my behalf and someone should be calling me back soon. Not happy!
  • puk999
    OP: Has it been refunded yet? Have you gone past the 90 days?
    puk999 wrote: »
    He raised a complaint on my behalf and someone should be calling me back soon. Not happy!

My definition of soon doesn't match theirs as nobody has bothered to contact me yet, and it's not been refunded. They're a bunch of useless **#%**! Calling them tomorrow. I have paperwork that shows my card is the 18 month balance transfer one. I.e. the Platinum one which is supposed to refund the BT fee.
  • Thanks for the post and please keep it updated.
    I'll call them again tonight as concerned that mine won't be refunded either. As I said in previous post I applied for the platinum but received no email confirmation, then I received credit card with leaflet on the matched card included in the envelope. I have nothing in writing that states that I have actually got a platinum card and that my fee will be refunded.... slightly concerned to say the least!
  • puk999
    edited 13 October 2015 at 3:27PM
    iamchucky wrote: »
    Thanks for the post and please keep it updated.

I called them just now and they said the balance transfer fee has been refunded to my account today and it should appear tomorrow. They said it was their error. Of course, if it isn't there then I'll update this thread!
    iamchucky wrote: »
    I'll call them again tonight as concerned that mine won't be refunded either. As I said in previous post I applied for the platinum but received no email confirmation, then I received credit card with leaflet on the matched card included in the envelope. I have nothing in writing that states that I have actually got a platinum card and that my fee will be refunded.... slightly concerned to say the least!

I think they're really sneaky about this. My skeptical mind says they have this 90 day thing as a lot of people might be a bit sketchy about what happened 3 months previous. Why not simply not charge the fee in the first place?!

Another sneaky thing is not giving you documentation which says "Platinum" or "Matched", so you start to doubt which one you have. Also, I can't believe the previous customer service representative who suggested that the fee was previously refundable on the Matched card until the end of July, then the offer swapped to the Platinum card from August. I don't buy that and he sounded less than confident when he spouted it.

Did you have a letter soon after you opened with the following info near the top?:

Limit: £xxxx
    APR (Variable): 17.8%
    Introductory 0% balance transfer period: 18 months
    Introductory 0% purchase period: 3 months

If so, I'm pretty sure that's the Platinum card that refunds the fee (see here).

If your letter says 0% purchases for 25 months and 0% balance transfers for 16 months, then that looks like the Matched card which doesn't refund the fee.

Let us know how you get on please.
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Called yesterday because I'd managed to lock myself out of online banking. My 90 days are up next Monday but the guy on the phone said refund was made on the 13th. Can't get in to check yet.
  • Phoned them up to double check and initially they advised that they would refund the majority of the BT fee but not all as there was a 0.74% charge.

I queried this as said that at time of application the full fee was to be credited. She went away to speak to her supervisor and cam back and apologised and said I was right & that the fee will be credited back in full within 90 days of opening.

So all looks good and 'reasonably' confident and on the bright side they have already paid out the £26 on topcashback for the application! :-)

However I think the post office needs to improve their communication. There should be an email sent to individuals after the application is made and the documents sent should advise the offer and the type of card gained - not just say 'Post Office Credit Card'. it also doesn't help when they send me the leaflet on the matched card with my credit card, even though they have confirmed I have a Platinum card.

Would I use them again... probably not
    Do I think I'll get my refund of the BT fee... yes but a niggling doubt until I actually see it in my account.
  • puk999
    That's good news :T I also went via TopCashback :)

I logged into my account yesterday and mine was refunded. I was also not fully comfortable until I saw the refund transaction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure