Direct debit not debited?

Ola!

I have a 0% balance transfer Hallifax credit card that has a balance of just over 1000. About a week ago, I made a payment of £300 against the card which has been debited from the balance. My normal direct debit of 100 has not been taken as normal.

I always thought the DD would be taken no matter what payments are made towards it through the month?

Thought Id ask here before I give them a call to query it.

TIA :)

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No need to ring them. Just read your statement message...front page, right hand column, last paragraph...the one that tells you when they'll collect the DD. ;)
  • No. The DD is reduced to account for any manual payments made 4 or more days before the DD is taken.
  • No need to ring them. Just read your statement message...front page, right hand column, last paragraph...the one that tells you when they'll collect the DD. ;)

It's usually the 13th, so I'm guessing zx81 is correct.

I don't think I've ever received a statement from them. I just use my Halifax app which is pretty basic but lets me keep an eye on my savings account and credit card balance.

Guess I'll be transferring another 100 then. ;)
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's usually the 13th, so I'm guessing zx81 is correct.
    zx81 is indeed correct. I was just encouraging you to go look for yourself, rather than risk some duff advice on here (not that you'd get any of that from zx81).
    I don't think I've ever received a statement from them.
    Yes you have. If you don't get paper statements you get online statements...it's one or the other...there isn't a 3rd option to opt out of receiving them! You just haven't been and checked them. :)
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No. The DD is reduced to account for any manual payments made 4 or more days before the DD is taken.

You are partially correct, any manual payments made 3 or more days before the DD is due to be taken, will reduce or stop the DD being taken.

If you want to make a manual payment and still use the DD for interest/rewards purposes, the make the payment 2 working days or less before the DD is due.

This payment schedule is mentioned on the far left of the statement where your DD date is underneath account information.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    On this same subject. if the DD was for £300 and you make an interim payment of £200, when the minimum payment due is £25, would they take £300, £100 or nothing (Santander CC).

I've read the back of the statement and from what I can gather, they would still take £100. Do you concur? (I only ask coz no DD has gone out yet)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    diff credit card companies have different rules so you need to look at what your ones do - some will take the DD regardless of any payments made, some will ignore refunds when evaluating whether to take the DD, some don't take the DD if you have paid off the balance.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • memberme
    memberme Posts: 213 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    My santander card unfortunately does the same. I fixed the payments at £400 and whenever i make additional payments the direct debit reduces accordingly. Daft.....as the fixed payment is way above any minimum it's abviously an extra payment. Even their system says ...go here for extra payments.....so why just make it another way of mayking part of the DDB. ...daft
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure