MSE News: Hotpoint tumble dryer help: 3 extra tricks to get you a refund

Comments

• I have a similar problem to debasur in that we payed for a £99 condenser replacement and it is useless to us, the new dryer will not dry the clothes apparently because it is in our garage! I called not hotpoint today and they said they could only replace for the same model and that they do not recommend heat pump tumble dryers to be put in a garage. Nowhere on the website does it state this for the model FTCL871GP. Our old condenser dryer was in the garage and worked a dream until it was recalled. It's ironic that hotpoint recall a dangerous dryer from my detached garage but are telling me the replacement can only be used in the house, surely the danger of a house fire has increased 10 fold! Does anyone know my legal rights to ask for a different model?
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:16PM
    redfuture wrote: »
    Nowhere on the website does it state this for the model FTCL871GP.

Says it in the instructions on the website where it can be used
    Where to put your dryer

The dryer should be installed in an
    ambient room temperature of between
    20 to 23 ̊C for optimum performance.
    But will function if the room is between
    14 and 30 ̊C

http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliances-1/tumble-dryers-3/hotpoint-aquarius-ftcl-871-gp-tumble-dryer-white/F090101/
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,420
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Old news. Dated November 2015.

Doesn't matter, I was just making people aware of how dangerous these machines can be.
  • richiedc
    richiedc Posts: 5 Forumite
    I've waited patiently for a tumble drier fix since November 2015.

Eventually was offered an appointment in Feb 17. Tookday unpaid leave and the engineer did not turn up. Phone number and address all correct. Stayed in all day

Complained via the terrible customer service and they said all they can do is rebook the fix. That was yesterday, I took another days unpaid leave and again they didn't turn up

Registered the complaint again. And they want to rebook. Clearly I am not going to do this, why would be the best course of action now??
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    richiedc wrote: »
    I've waited patiently for a tumble drier fix since November 2015.

Eventually was offered an appointment in Feb 17. Tookday unpaid leave and the engineer did not turn up. Phone number and address all correct. Stayed in all day

Complained via the terrible customer service and they said all they can do is rebook the fix. That was yesterday, I took another days unpaid leave and again they didn't turn up

Registered the complaint again. And they want to rebook. Clearly I am not going to do this, why would be the best course of action now??
    First thing you should do is read MSE's Failed Delivery article.

The subtitle to that guide is 'If I waste a day, you'll pay'.

Although that article seems to concentrate on deliveries, the same principle applies to your situation.

You may need to put your point of view forcefully, after all, they may not want to volunteer compensation. ;)
  • My replacement Hotpoint Aqauaius (TVFS 83 CGP) tumble drier has developed a fire hazard problem 2 weeks before its 1st birthday!

The machine did not work this morning. No fuses had tripped so I went to check the fuse, but could not pull the plug out. After much persuasion, the plug came out to reveal extensive charing around the live pin and also around the corresponding socket.

I have phoned up Whirlpool and the engineer is coming out tomorrow to survey this new development!

Just to recap; This is one of the replacement tumble driers they sold me for £59!

I am a little concerned what damage could have been done to my wiring.
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    i8toys wrote: »
    My replacement Hotpoint Aqauaius (TVFS 83 CGP) tumble drier has developed a fire hazard problem 2 weeks before its 1st birthday!

The machine did not work this morning. No fuses had tripped so I went to check the fuse, but could not pull the plug out. After much persuasion, the plug came out to reveal extensive charing around the live pin and also around the corresponding socket.

I have phoned up Whirlpool and the engineer is coming out tomorrow to survey this new development!

Just to recap; This is one of the replacement tumble driers they sold me for £59!

I am a little concerned what damage could have been done to my wiring.
    Sounds to me that it is possible that it it the socket that could be faulty rather than the plug on the appliance.

Of course, without inspection it is impossible to say whether it is the socket or the appliance at fault.

You are right to get it inspected, but you are wrong to assume at this stage that Hotpoint/Whirlpool are to blame.

I wonder if the Hotpoint/Whirlpool engineer will charge for the callout if your socket is at fault?
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    Sounds to me that it is possible that it it the socket that could be faulty rather than the plug on the appliance.

Of course, without inspection it is impossible to say whether it is the socket or the appliance at fault.

You are right to get it inspected, but you are wrong to assume at this stage that Hotpoint/Whirlpool are to blame.

I wonder if the Hotpoint/Whirlpool engineer will charge for the callout if your socket is at fault?

You may be right, but then how come this has not happened to the previous driers (at least 4)?

The Charing of the plug & socket clearly matches up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure