possible ADHD

I have my cousin and her 11 year old son coming to stay for a weekend, he has suspected ADHD

whilst we were visiting him he had several occasions of violence out breaks

My husband suggested a schedule for him so he could see what was planned for the week, this was well received by him.

Basically he is with us for 3 days and we would like to avoid the stressful situations for him and fill his days with good memories

What would be good ideas to plan in the weekend to do with him

He spends quite a long time playing video games but we dont have any consoles at our house

We would like him to see the plan/schedule before he comes,

We thought of visit to wildlife park, walking the dog, bowling, cinema

I have no idea if these are suitable so would welcome some input

he is also diary intolerable and gluten so could do with some suggestions for food, apart from soya milk lol

thanks in advance
2007 £1749
2008 £291.99
2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
total so far for 09 £92.99

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well, I'd be asking him what he would like to do.

Why not send / give him a list of all the possibilites and let him pick all those that appeal. That way you can have a two way conversation about what is likely to happen / & when /why he can't cope so that you can avoid stressful times. I'm thinking that maybe crowded places are not good but that is guess work on my part.

Activities- it really depends if he likes getting involved. Crafty stuff? dressing up at museums? going swimming? collecting stuff in the park with a magnifying glass? Going on public transport? (Don't laugh my friend's grandson loves to go on bus / train because they travel everywhere by car- sign of the times!)

To keep good memories perhaps take photos where ever you go - not only a talking point but a memory bank too.

With the diet what would you usually cook? You can easily substitute dairy products with soya- but soya cheese is very odd! Yoghurts, spread, milk and ice cream all palatable.
    You can also get gluten free flour but I think the results are a bit different. I understand gluten free bread is possibly better toasted.
    Won't your cousin bring some speciality food with her?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Letting him have a say is a good idea.
  • Don't give him soy whatever you do.
  • Most supermarkets sell a brand of margarine called Pure. You can get either sunflower or soya variety. It's only about £1.80 and tastes good. I use it instead of butter now.

And good for you, I think the boy will benefit from a weeklong break from the computer screen. Let us know how you get on.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Don't give him soy whatever you do.

Can I ask why?
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
  • dipsy
    Most supermarkets sell a brand of margarine called Pure. You can get either sunflower or soya variety. It's only about £1.80 and tastes good. I use it instead of butter now.

And good for you, I think the boy will benefit from a weeklong break from the computer screen. Let us know how you get on.

I remember seeing "pure" at my Auntys house so I will get some of that in for his stay and ask his mum for a list of foods he likes/and can have so we are stocked up and don't spend the time shoppping

We are nervous but also looking forward to it :-)
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
  • dipsy
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Well, I'd be asking him what he would like to do.

Why not send / give him a list of all the possibilites and let him pick all those that appeal. That way you can have a two way conversation about what is likely to happen / & when /why he can't cope so that you can avoid stressful times. I'm thinking that maybe crowded places are not good but that is guess work on my part.

Yes we were going to send the list to him so he has the choice, hopefully he will like some of the ideas we send

Activities- it really depends if he likes getting involved. Crafty stuff? dressing up at museums? going swimming? collecting stuff in the park with a magnifying glass? Going on public transport? (Don't laugh my friend's grandson loves to go on bus / train because they travel everywhere by car- sign of the times!)

He loves problem solving, aged 11, so we are going to help him/show him how to build a laptop to keep him thinking, he is so very bright

To keep good memories perhaps take photos where ever you go - not only a talking point but a memory bank too.

What a fab idea, think we will do this love this idea!!

With the diet what would you usually cook? You can easily substitute dairy products with soya- but soya cheese is very odd! Yoghurts, spread, milk and ice cream all palatable.
    You can also get gluten free flour but I think the results are a bit different. I understand gluten free bread is possibly better toasted.
    Won't your cousin bring some speciality food with her?

I normally cook paelo way, all fresh, but I am into my chillis/spaghetti etc, (will have a look for diary free pasta) and a take away on a friday lol
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
  • dipsy wrote: »
    Can I ask why?
    Soy contains high levels of manganese . It is 80 times higher in soy formula than it is in breast milk, for example.

Children with ADHD have low levels of dopamines and many studies have shown a correlation between high manganese levels and low dopamines. Hair tests on ADHD children have shown high levels of manganese.

Soy is in many many processed foods. Many ingredient lists will show 'artificial flavouring' and 'hydrolyzed vegetable protein' to 'soy lecithin' and 'soybean oil', among countless others. Many sweets and chocolates have soy in them for example.

Soy is also an endocrine disruptor, it stores metals in the body, affects male hormones, and is linked to fetal development abnormalities.
    It is mostly a genetically modified crop which absorbs pesticides. It does not wash off. These are carcinogenic.
    It is also an anti nutrient. It can 'steal' other nutrients from the diet to stop the body absorbing them causing deficiencies.

It really is something that should be avoided by everyone, unless its fermented.
  • It really is something that should be avoided by everyone, unless its fermented.

A few billion Chinese would probably disagree with you on that one!
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Pop_Up_Pirate Posts: 801 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 8:46AM
    A few billion Chinese would probably disagree with you on that one!
    Have you looked at soy consumption in China and the chinese diet?

In history, poor Asians used soy in times of food shortages, in very small amounts and mostly only the beans, which were carefully prepared with lengthy fermentation.

The use of soy was mainly as a compliment to their meal and not the main part of it. and then it would be fermented.

Added to which, their diet was heavy on green leafy veggies, offal, bone broth and no sugar, gluten, caesin, processed foods...in fact none of the added ingredients that a Western Diet consumes.

Asia was seen as a massive marketplace for the soy producers (who dropped the emphasis on fermentation) and they have very successfully re-written Asian history convincing modern Asians that soy was a heavy part of their diet when, in fact, it never has been. America now produces the most soy, all genetically modified. And this GM soy is fed to animals in the Western world too, something the animal would never eat normally.

Western ways with food are trickling into Asian communities, along with all the Western illnesses and diseases that come with it.

Do some research and you will find lots of papers written on Asian soy consumption compared to the Western way along with information on the dangers of unfermented soy.

Heres an easy to read article. Not very sciencey but explains the gist.
    http://www.best-natural-foods.com/fermented-soy-products.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport