PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning removable sofa covers

Comments

• misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Thanks for that - The site looks good - I've added it to my favourites but I don't think I could paint the base with fabric paint. it's v big and you need to iron it fix the paint - plus don't know that I could exactly match the dye for the cuovers to the fabric paint for the base. thanks anyway a few projects on there I fancy though.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You're welcome :) Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Misty have you thought of using one of those wet/dry vacuums with upholstery attachment, it sounds like the fabric is OK for washing, so getting it wet won't be a problem. The two dangers I can think of are firstly that the under filling might stain through, so test on a bit no one can see, the other is try not to get it too wet and allowing it to dry quickly, so it doesn't get the damp washing smell, so keep windows open and cushions off until it's thoroughly dried.

We've used this on furniture and on car upholstery.

You can rent them, or maybe you have one you can borrow from a friend. Can also combine it with cleaning any rugs you need to.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Be very careful. Some years ago I washed some removable covers which subsequently shrunk significantly and had to be thrown away!

Stompa
    Stompa
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    se999 wrote:
    Misty have you thought of using one of those wet/dry vacuums with upholstery attachment, it sounds like the fabric is OK for washing, so getting it wet won't be a problem. The two dangers I can think of are firstly that the under filling might stain through, so test on a bit no one can see, the other is try not to get it too wet and allowing it to dry quickly, so it doesn't get the damp washing smell, so keep windows open and cushions off until it's thoroughly dried.

We've used this on furniture and on car upholstery.

You can rent them, or maybe you have one you can borrow from a friend. Can also combine it with cleaning any rugs you need to.

I've got a steam cleaner - but it doesn't seem to have much effect. I could try what you suggest. It's mainly the parts at the front that get the most wear and tear and when you wash the removable covers it looks more noticeable - can't win. thanks for all the suggestions
  • I'd like to thank for all the reply's to this post, after reading that many people wash their removable sofa cusions in the washer I thought I'd give it a go. They have come up like new. I was very anxious whilst they were in the washer but I need'nt have worried. I now know that it will last me quite a few years cos I'll be able to wash it in the future too. :beer: :beer: :beer:
    became debt free December 06
  • What is the best way of cleaning the covers on my sofa - would it be best to take them to a dry cleaners or is there a way of doing it yourself at home?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya :)

try this thread...

- Cleaning removable sofa covers
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cheers Squeaky... I was thinking just this weekend mine needed a clean too!
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    :)

Just to let you know - I've now merged the two threads to keep everything in one place.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport