Tax credit helpline...avoiding the 0345 number

I'm fuming! Trying to avoid unneccesary call charges I searched and found the alternative Tax Credit Helpline landline number with area code (01355 359007).

Once through to an advisor I was informed that they knew I had used the overseas number and converted it which, apparently, I'm not allowed to do and was told to redial using 0345 300 3900. I explained that all British companies have to have a contactable number with area code and requested it. My request was flatly refused.

Has anyone please got an alternative number and/or had a similar experience? :(

Comments

• Ive never had trouble with this number and always get straight through as well. This was on MSE a while ago
    0191 206 1385
  • alibeee wrote: »
    I'm fuming! Trying to avoid unneccesary call charges I searched and found the alternative Tax Credit Helpline landline number with area code (01355 359007).

Once through to an advisor I was informed that they knew I had used the overseas number and converted it which, apparently, I'm not allowed to do and was told to redial using 0345 300 3900. I explained that all British companies have to have a contactable number with area code and requested it. My request was flatly refused.

Has anyone please got an alternative number and/or had a similar experience? :(

Any number beginning with 03 costs the same to ring as a number starting 01 or 02 even from a mobile phone, and is included in bundled minutes with all telephone and mobile companies. So if you have free minutes, you can use them to call an 03 number.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • flight747
    flight747 Posts: 510 Forumite
    Any number beginning with 03 costs the same to ring as a number starting 01 or 02 even from a mobile phone, and is included in bundled minutes with all telephone and mobile companies. So if you have free minutes, you can use them to call an 03 number.

I have BT Unlimited Plan and call tax credit on 0345 300 3900 last month to renewal and was charged £1.27 for this call. I had contact BT and they say it free calls from landline starting with 01, 02 and 03 except special rate number 0345 such as Tax Credit is chargable!

So, it not FREE calls!!!!
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    flight747 wrote: »
    I have BT Unlimited Plan and call tax credit on 0345 300 3900 last month to renewal and was charged £1.27 for this call. I had contact BT and they say it free calls from landline starting with 01, 02 and 03 except special rate number 0345 such as Tax Credit is chargable!

I made 3 calls to the 0345 helpline number in the last month ranging from 8 minutes to 17 minutes. I am on the BT anytime plan and it shows £0.00 next to all of them.

Maybe you should speak to BT again?

IQ
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    flight747 wrote: »

0345 is not a special rate number.
    Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number and must count towards any inclusive minutes in the same way as 01 and 02 calls.

These rules apply to calls from any type of line including mobile, BT, other fixed line or payphone
    OFCOM

However if the call lasted longer than 1 hour you may be charged as only calls less than 1 hour are inclusive on most BT packages.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2012 at 12:17PM
    0345 would be free with some other telephony providers on an unlimited anytime plan. Consider changing supplier?

BT's pricing plan (dowloadable as a pdf) shows some 0345 calls will be free while others charged??? A bit too complicated and confusing for me to spend a long time studying, though!
  • flight747
    flight747 Posts: 510 Forumite
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    I made 3 calls to the 0345 helpline number in the last month ranging from 8 minutes to 17 minutes. I am on the BT anytime plan and it shows £0.00 next to all of them.

Maybe you should speak to BT again?

IQ

Thanks I had spoken to BT and they found the number 0345 300 3900 is not a special rate number and BT had refunded me £1.27 with a 38 minutes call to Tax Credits Helpline and BT had apology to me. And say that calling to 0345 300 3900 is free call within 59 minutes of BT Unlimited Plan inclusive.
  • Try this then +44 1355 359007, It worked fine for me.:rotfl:
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try 02890 538192 if you use it at evenings and Saturday then your calls from BT will be free
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • star_xx
    star_xx Posts: 1 Newbie
    I am not happy as I am with Virgin just checked their prices and from the cost it is being charged quite high
    connection fee # 14.94
    per min day or night # 9.94
    I can't afford make these kind of calls, was told to go to the jobcentre use their hot phone, that ok if you can get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure