PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Happy new thread, seven pages already???? Just goes to show the amount of increasing interest in reducing our costs of living. I make crab apple jelly every year, and the tree in the garden looks like there will be a fantastic harvest this year. I am also nursing along a couple of tomato plants (flowers and small fruits already showing), some runner bean plants that are already in flower, some pepper plants which show no signs yet of fruiting, a load of raspberry bushes which are showing the odd berry here and there, and a few troughs of salad leaves that I use for all salad meals. There are even a few potato plants resurrected from last year which are in full leaf. Every morning I check out all the plants, like Ebeneezer Scrooge checking out his bank balance! Must get round to making the laundry liquid, it sounds really nice.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • BB1984
    BB1984 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Just thought of a down-side to OH getting a new job near home and therefore being home all week instead of just Thurs - Sun.......he's going to be eating!! For the last 2 years he has been staying with his parents in London during the week, and they very kindly wouldn't take any money off us, as their way of helping us out on our start of married life...

...So I make it 3 additional dinners and 4 additional packed lunches - eek! We can't afford to raise our monthly grocery budget to more than the current £120 (if anything I've been trying to reduce it, but it's not working!), so I'm going to have to be a bit more inventive. The other "problem"(!) is that he loves to cook, but always goes for meat-heavy dishes! Also, when I'm on my own, I can't normally be bothered to cook much, so normally just have something like beans on toast, or cereal. We're blatantly going to end up having "proper" meals all the time now...£££££!

Ah well, at least I'm getting my hubby back - totally worth it :)

BB
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    I used to run my own business up until I got divorced, the people at work are often surprised when I make an intelligent comment, just because a trained monkey could do my job they think that's what I am.
    I often make hampers for Christmas gifts, this year I shall put lemon curd in them as well as other things as I made some earlier this week & it was yummy.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    I used to run my own business up until I got divorced, the people at work are often surprised when I make an intelligent comment, just because a trained monkey could do my job they think that's what I am.

Know the feeling - I'm one of about 20 employees on a fixed term appointment and although the permanent staff I work with are ok its obvious from the way they talk that they think that we are a bit further down the food chain :rotfl: even though we are doing the same work as they are :mad: Fortunately I really don't care what they think, I just keep smiling and think about my pay cheque :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I can't believe how many like minded people there are on here - also kind and supportive. Why is real life not the same. What don't other people understand about not wanting (or be able) to be shopping all the time as a hobby? Why don't they realise that things don't stay the same? If it wasn't for this thread and the preceding ones, I'd start to believe I was going daft.
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    I was told (kindly, I might add) at the job centre today that I am overqualified for the jobs I have been applying for and that's why I haven't been getting anywhere. The problem is that I fall between two stools. I can't do the kind of jobs my qualifications would suggest ( I have an Hons degree and a Masters) because of my mental health. But I am not disabled enough to claim any extra help. I used to get disabled person's tax credits but then I was made redundant and took a job with erratic hours and lost my entitlement and can't get it back again. So I am doomed to low wages now for the rest of my life, because I can't work full-time (it would literally kill me, no word of a lie) but I don't get any extra help to make up low wages. I don't even need that much - about £11,000/annum would be enough for me to live on and cover all my needs, including putting away for a pension.

I told the guy at the Job Centre that I have such an erratic work history and pension record that I'd be condemned to skip-diving when I'm 90.

I could stop taking my medication and would definitely be deemed unfit for work within about 6 weeks. But I don't want to do that to myself. Or indeed to those around me and my dogs and chickens. My doctor always praises me and says it's my strong self-will that has helped me keep going and achieve what I have achieved. It took me six years to get my Masters because I was ill several times during it.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit low tonight. I guess at least I don't have a mortgage or children to worry about.

I'll be more cheerful tomorrow, I promise!
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another lurker as last thread was so long.

Anyone been watching money watch togh times programme on bbc2recently.
    They said whats weird as during credit crunch lots of families had more money especially if on tracker morgages, interests rates stayed low and cost of living went down but now we on recovery people feeling pinch and cutting back.
    I guess unemployment increasing, job uncertainties and and paycuts has made some people cautious.

Been tough 2years for our family I quit fulltime job in july 2008 as couldent afford childcare/commute costs and was so stressful hardly saw family.

Then credit crunch hit hubby luckily kept is job but lost is bonus and had pay freeze.
    petrol went up and car kept going wrong.
    cars plunged us into about 4greand of debt last few years cant afford to replace it, we only run one car cant afford to run 2.

Have done what we can to stay afloat switched things, ebayed, carboots,nct sales te lot.

we down!!!!!d brands and started shopping at discounters
    i now cook most things from scratcheat less meat
    rarly go out
    mostly buy 2nd hand clothes for me and kids.
    went on cheap uk holidays did sun 15quid deal this year.

I have tried to find part time job applied for tonnes I eiter

never hear back
    they want fully flexible which I need set shifts for childcare.
    im overqualified have alvels, business and legal degree and lots of managerial experience.

Feels hopeless at times hubbys trying to find better paid job even tried looking for 2nd job but had no luck.

i have tried making and selling on ebay plus buying and selling for profits but ebay fees so vast now and some ebayers nitemare just not as good as it used to be.
    havent been sent any surbeys or mystery shops in last 6months.

Going to try setting up dog walking business and see if that brings money in as will focus locally no commute and low overheads.

we now have 2kids baby nearly a year dont rget it have 2girls so reused stuff from 1st, breastfed, made own baby food and used cloth.

eldest costs me a bit as has gym plus uniform as starts school in september.
    she needs new casual clothes and lunchclub in preschool each term and she wants to do school dinners which is 10quid a week.

from next april I think we may lose tax credits 40quid a month.

constantly looking at ways to cut back.
    making lots of stuff and giving people food hampers this year with part stuff i forgaed but I love cooking and trying new things.

heating we in arrears due to very cold winter so need to catch up and switch.
    changing to pay as you go mobile in septemeber when contract ends.

Im hoping dont get much tougher as we already skint few days before payday.

want to prepare for xmas as been quite down last 2xmases as couldent afford turkey.

Hubbys been good and takes packed lunch, has cut down on choc/drinks in shop ect, we rarly go out as hard to get babysiter we use coupons, vouchers and discount codes, search round for best price.

whats hard is my best freind and hubby are well off go on 3hols a year, active social life but they dont have kids.

family dont seem to understand dads naturally frugal but mum just lost her job and she says shes cutting back which makes me laugh and when people like bil say they broke they dont know meaning of the word all they mean is they not saving as much money.
    I must admit I look at other parents at school gate and wonder how they do it all.
    when im shopping especially city centre and everyones loaded with shopping bags I think its not tough for them.

we rent privatly cant afford to buy but too rich for sociall housing, people we know who have brought had family help with deposit of brought during boom and struggled/neg equity.

council tax huge hike this year, wondering how budget will affect us.

we try to stay positive but is hard gets us down a lot scrmping and saving with basics like food but thanks to my resourcefulness and cooking skills we eat well.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    jamanda wrote: »
    I can't believe how many like minded people there are on here - also kind and supportive. Why is real life not the same. What don't other people understand about not wanting (or be able) to be shopping all the time as a hobby? Why don't they realise that things don't stay the same? If it wasn't for this thread and the preceding ones, I'd start to believe I was going daft.

Um, jamanda ..... the rest of the world is actually normal and we are the odd ones ... just don't tell the others on this board because (whisper it) they think we're the normal ones ......

:rotfl:
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    For those who are thinking of making up "hampers" this year with home made Christmas gifts, charity shops and car boot sales are ideal places to find the wicker baskets in which flower arrangements are put in. These baskets can often be bought for a few pence and it's worth stocking up with a few of them. A selection of jars of home-made products esting on crumpled tissue paper and wrapped up in cellophane can make a very attractive and inexpensive gift.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Smiley - maybe you have to be a little bit crafty and prepare two slightly different CV's - one listing your qualifications and the other omitting them, and choose which CV you submit for different jobs. If your qualifications are likely to rule you out for certain jobs because employers fear you may be over-qualified, you are effectively applying with one arm tied behind your back and employers may feel that your qualifications may cause a skills inbalance within their team and wonder how they will manage it. Perhaps worth trying to see going this route gets you a job via the back door. You won't exactly have lied on your CV. You just forgot mention it as irrelevant to that particular job for which you were applying. I've known people in the past get jobs by this route, as well as leaving off their date of birth as being irrelevant. Employers are more wary about asking for this information nowadays in case they're accused of age discrimination. Once you get on board, you can then be judged on your merit and competence, rather than on an imagine that an employer has perhaps erroneously built up about you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure