Endowment or Savings Plan

Hi can someone give me advice.

Last June I changed my Mortgage to a repayment mortgage with the Woolwich
10 year fixed for 10 years 4.67%. My old Mortgage was Interest Only with Endowments. I had two Endowments one of which I sold and the other is still running and with the money for the sold endowments I put it into home improvements. The Mortgage is £81,000 and I am paying £112 into the other endowment. Which is with Friends Provident with profits.It has another 10 years or so to run. The Mortgage has 19 years to go. I was thinks of keeping the old endowment running and hopefully be able to pay of the rest of the repayment mortgage or some of it ,depending on the performance of the endowment in, in in 10yrs time.

Would anyone have any better suggestions or is this a good idea. That is if the endowment improves . Its was due to pay out 45,000 but has shortfalls. I think the last time I looked , if investments run at 4% I would only receive 28,000 would have to double check it again.

Thanks for reading:confused:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Being FP with profits, I would be looking at the 4% figure as a realistic projection and then knock off 10% to be on the safe side (more likely).

Its not a very good fund option and I would investigate early surrender and paid up options to compare against keeping it running.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    At a nmortgage interest rate of 4.67% you will probably get a better return if you surrender it and use the money to reduce the outstanding loan and overpay t by increasing the monthly payment by the amount of the endowment premium.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Thanks for the reply's :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family