PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    I'm also fancying some hummus so will make some of that for snacks/future lunches. I'm sure I read on here that it can be frozen? If not I'll take some up for my Mum as she loves it.
    I freeze hummus without any issues- just needs a good stir when it's defrosted
    candygirl wrote: »
    Off out for lunch with DR, Mum n all the sprogs 😀Will prob have the veggie burger n chips, total bargain at £5.99 Inc a drink 😉
    Enjoy :D

Good afternoon everyone,

Buoyed up by the success of dehydrating the wraps I'm going to have a go at dehydrating some mushrooms and peppers as I have lots of both and it will save trying to use them up.

The last of the HM hummus on toast for breakfast this morning and I fancy scrambled egg for lunch.
    I'm not CFO tonight (or for a couple of days) as my son is due home for the weekend later this evening. I'm making M&S pork burgers, oven chips, salad and coleslaw so not much by way of actual prepping/cooking as I bought a small pack of coleslaw so I didn't have lots of HM stuff to use up:)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Caron

Candy girl Enjoy!

Well in true CFO style I have decided to have the chilli for lunch with homemade wedges instead of rice :D Soup will be for tea now or not as the mood takes me. Wedges will be ready soon.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 August 2017 at 2:36PM
    Options
    During the rootle in freezer, rearranging to make space, I spotted a pack of minced beef, bought in January when Waitrose was having a sale on. That is dinner sorted. meatloaf and steamed fresh veg including the runners

Into town, milk & stuff, plus YS choc gateau and fairy cakes because son & family are visiting tomorrow, and the kids love cake, as we all do

No breakfast, up late for no reason except the rain waking me in the middle of the night

Lunch was bake it yourself baguette with cheese & onion. I will use the rest of the onion in the meatloaf, very MSE & CFO there

Sun is out, may take the opportunity to pick even more runners and collect some more apples

I was thinking of stewing more apples but I think constructing a meatloaf will be enough CFO effort for today, the apples will keep for a few more days

PS. the LO quiche thingy was binned this morning RIP
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2017 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Errrm....no lunch yet today...think that might end up going missing on me for the day. The morning activity finished late and then I phoned a friend and then....

The friend mentioned a cookbook I'd not heard of and so....one visit to Amazon later...ahem...and I've got a copy coming through of "Never too late to go vegan". Then I dallied round the site a bit - and there's also a copy of "5:2 Veggie and vegan" heading in my direction.

Think the first book looks like it was probably written with a mindset I'm resonating with - ie not being "told what to do" and still being able to do something with some sort of sense of purpose at my age. The mere thought of there being a point at which "All one has to do is Enjoy Yourself" (and "get told what to do") is agh! in my book.

Is it my age or am I having people trying to "tell me what to do" these days - when the only contexts in which that has happened before are:
    - my parents whilst I was a child (errrm...and some attempts to do so subsequently:rotfl:)
    - employers

because of getting older?

At my age logic dictates no-one will ever try and "tell me what to do" ever again :):T - but there have been some attempts at it recently:shocked::think::naughty::huh::huh::huh:

Thought for the day being = is this down to starting to get visibly older? Is it a downside of getting older? I wonder what other late middle age to elderly peoples experiences are of the "people trying to tell you what to do" phenomenon?

Thinks - I wonder what Kittie's thoughts on this are for instance? Wonder what LessonLearned has found on this too?
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Money My daughter tries to tell me what to do but I ignore her while knowing that she has my best interests at heart. Plus at 51 I know my own mind! My parents stopped telling me what to do years ago as it never worked even when I was a child :rotfl:
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2017 at 3:22PM
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:My mother tells me that bringing me up consisted of an obstacle course of me saying "Why?" and questioning everything and, according to her, my brother was so much easier:cool:

I think I must have pleased the children that were chatting to me this morning then:) - as I'm not a "child" person - but they were all exactly the sort of child I can relate to (ie those very "adult" type children that will have a conversation with you where you can see it's a child you're talking to - but they're talking to you/asking you questions in exactly the same way an adult would). Now that I know how to deal with - and talk back with them in exactly the same way I would with an adult:rotfl:

With my own (by now very elderly) mother I've learnt that she will listen to me sometimes and then she :cool: "has had a good idea" - but I will soon get a flea in my ear if she doesnt want to listen or thinks it all sounds like too much hassle.:rotfl:

I think there might be an element of once one reaches a certain age that some younger people (or even same age people.....grrr) think your brain is no longer capable of thinking through new ideas and maybe adopting them?? I've got news for them personally - I'm watching the youngest generation right now and thinking "Hmm...they have got a point in some of what they are now pushing....time to update my language I use and some of the ways I think". Some of us do try and "keep up" ....
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 August 2017 at 7:59PM
    Options
    Spotted these cheese sticks in the reduced at asda and thought ideal to pop in freezer with the ready made rolls for a picnic day out. Bought 6 sampled one on way back as you do. Really crunchy and tasty. Hmmmm arrived home with an empty bag and none left for freezer. Lol. must keep an eye out for these if reduced again as nice though they are they are no where near worth full price.

Photobucket notplaying at the moment

WP_20170817_15_47_08_Pro.jpg
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've not really eaten today .... time's flown/I didn't feel settled all day ... and .. blimey, look at the time, I should've been researching something today that I kept putting off!

I've had 40g of nut cornflakes and 6 grapes.

I've go cheese overload (the last two L1dl weekend offers: 3 packs of cheddar still and 3 packs of Emmental) ... and I've spuds.

So I bet I'll do some cheesy mash later - especially as I opened baked beans yesterday that need eating.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not really eaten today ....
    I've been the opposite, I've eaten loads today for some unknown reason. I've just finished my sausages and mash and had a crumble and custard as well.

I've been picking at things on and off today. As well as breakfast and lunch I've had a crumpet, 2 slices of toast and half a bar of chocolate.

I'm trying to work out how I can defrost two almost full freezers without the food defrosting. I was trying to work out how much from the indoor freezer I can get into the outside freezer, and then how much of what is left will fit into the fridge, or if there is another way. None of my neighbours have got any free space in their freezers either.
    Options
    When I had freezer that needed manual defrosting - I just took out the baskets and put them in coolest place I could think of (maybe a shower cubicle floor might be most suitable place for them?).

Followed by endless kettles of hot water boiled up and poured into bowls to put in freezer/ replaced frequently to hurry the process up. Also gently "bashing" at ice on freezer walls to hurry it up dropping off them.

Not forgetting, of course, putting something on the floor by the freezer door to catch water running out of the freezer as it defrosts. Trays? Newspaper?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure