Energy Company chasing an unpaid bill 3 years late

Options
Good day friends!

In Feb 2015 I and housemates moved into a new house, immediately I changed the energy supplier to NPower and carried on as normal. Eventually (I can't remember when exactly), we received a bill, from Spark Energy, for the first few weeks before the new supplier took over, for a ridiculously high amount. We challenged that amount and heard nothing back. 2 years later, after we had all parted ways and moved out, we received a chaser letter. At that time, none of us could remember the original situation so we challenged them again. A year later, we received a legal letter....

Normally, I understand the protocol of an unpaid bill, but given that we challenged the bill on two occasions without reply, and the shear length of time it has been between communication, what are our rights? Do we have any at all?

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Scornpaul wrote: »
    but given that we challenged the bill on two occasions without reply, and the shear length of time it has been between communication, what are our rights? Do we have any at all?

Do you have any evidence that you challenged the bill? Do you have meter readings from when you moved in & when you changed suppliers? Preferably backed by photos?

If not...guess what? I think you'll have to pay up.
  • Scornpaul
    Options
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    Do you have any evidence that you challenged the bill? Do you have meter readings from when you moved in & when you changed suppliers? Preferably backed by photos?

If not...guess what? I think you'll have to pay up.

I guessed I would... when we challenged them it was over the phone so I guess there SHOULD be evidence somewhere... finding it, though, will likely be too hard.

Just seems so odd to not chase an invoice for over 2 years!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just curious as to how you received a letter when you have all moved out??
  • Hi Scornpaul

Sorry to hear about this.

Can you pop me an email to the address given in my profile please? I'd need your full name, the supply address and any other information you can provide about the contact you've received.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Scornpaul wrote: »
    Good day friends!

In Feb 2015 I and housemates moved into a new house, immediately I changed the energy supplier to NPower and carried on as normal. Eventually (I can't remember when exactly), we received a bill, from Spark Energy, for the first few weeks before the new supplier took over, for a ridiculously high amount. We challenged that amount and heard nothing back. 2 years later, after we had all parted ways and moved out, we received a chaser letter. At that time, none of us could remember the original situation so we challenged them again. A year later, we received a legal letter....

Normally, I understand the protocol of an unpaid bill, but given that we challenged the bill on two occasions without reply, and the shear length of time it has been between communication, what are our rights? Do we have any at all?
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Scornpaul
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Just curious as to how you received a letter when you have all moved out??

Who knows how these things work. Presumably my housemate gave a forwarding address to our old landlord (she received the letter, not I) but I know you can be tracked pretty easily these days.
  • Scornpaul
    Options
    Hi Scornpaul

Sorry to hear about this.

Can you pop me an email to the address given in my profile please? I'd need your full name, the supply address and any other information you can provide about the contact you've received.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager

Thank you Jenny, will send over what we have shortly.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Cases similar to the OP's scenario occur many times. The usual reason is that the outgoing occupants fail to inform the energy company that they are leaving, and the incoming occupants(OP in this case) fail to take meter readings when they move in; and inform the energy company of those readings.

The inevitable consequence is that the incoming occupants get billed for some of the outgoing occupants consumption.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure