Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jsinc wrote: »
    £23 for 100mb BB/phone (196 + 7p/m). Didn't go through cancellations.

Does that include calls or just line rental?
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Have been on a deal for just 50mb broadband at £18.45pm. This ends in three weeks. Called to cancel last Sunday and was offered 70mb for around £35. Went through with the cancellation.

Had a call from retentions and was offered 70mb for £28. Declined their offer.

I have ordered BT Infinity for £29.99pm (36mb), no activation free, free new line install, £100 reward card and £75 Quidco cashback. Averages out at £20.27pm for the minimum term.
  • jsinc
    jsinc Posts: 306 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    latecomer wrote: »
    Does that include calls or just line rental?
    Talk weekends, not all calls. Although I don't actually have a home telephone.
  • Hi guys,

Was just wondering whether you can haggle a better deal while in contract? I forget how long I’ve got left but know it’s quite a while.

I am currently paying £58 per month for 200mb BB, player tv and talk weekends. I think you’ll agree this is WELL over the odds. I’ve seen people on 300 BB and full house tv for £35!.

I have never faulted Virgin and had zero problems with their service, I get a constant 200mb+ connection and perfect tv, but it’s just getting too expensive for what I’m getting. Would love sports and cinema etc. No doubt it will rise to over £60 p/m soon which is outrageous.

Any chance of haggling when still in contract?
  • latecomer
    Pretty sure you've got no chance I'm afraid - you should have use the recent price increase to negotiate a better deal.
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Virgin.

So, My bill went up by £24pm so I called on 1st Nov to cancel (they offered rubbish deal).

(for the past 2-3yrs I've cancelled and they've called with decent offer which I then took).

This time, about two days later I had a missed call from 'unknown' on my mobile - could have been them?

Not heard anything since. No calls, not even an email to confirm my disconnection.

So I have 8 days to get something sorted. Would prefer to stay with VM really...

I was thinking of calling BT/Sky to ask what their very best deal would be, then calling VM again.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • latecomer
    I finally managed to get the call from Virgin after about 4-5 missed calls. Spoke to a nice guy and just explained that £57 for the basic offering was far too much. He explained that there was no way he could do a deal like last year (£16 for BB, TV and anytime calls including line rental). A short while later we agreed on £29 per month for :

100Mb BB (upgrade from 50/70Mb)
    TV player (basic one)
    phone including anytime calls
    New Tivo box
    new superhub

Wasn't much haggling and I'm sure I could have pushed for some more but really wasn't in the mood and I know this is better than I can get from anyone else.
  • latecomer
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Virgin.

So, My bill went up by £24pm so I called on 1st Nov to cancel (they offered rubbish deal).

(for the past 2-3yrs I've cancelled and they've called with decent offer which I then took).

This time, about two days later I had a missed call from 'unknown' on my mobile - could have been them?

Not heard anything since. No calls, not even an email to confirm my disconnection.

So I have 8 days to get something sorted. Would prefer to stay with VM really...

I was thinking of calling BT/Sky to ask what their very best deal would be, then calling VM again.

Definitely worth a try - I'm not a big spender but I always get multiple calls from the retentions team. I did get a confirmation email for the cancellation.

Make sure they have your mobile number on the account. you can always call to check whether your cancellation is confirmed as you haven't had an email confirmation and use that as an excuse to haggle. Trouble is the best deals come from the retentions team and I believe they need to phone you i.e. you cant get transferred to them
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    latecomer wrote: »
    Definitely worth a try - I'm not a big spender but I always get multiple calls from the retentions team. I did get a confirmation email for the cancellation.

Make sure they have your mobile number on the account. you can always call to check whether your cancellation is confirmed as you haven't had an email confirmation and use that as an excuse to haggle. Trouble is the best deals come from the retentions team and I believe they need to phone you i.e. you cant get transferred to them
    Just called them, they didn't want to know. Just confirmed the date and said I should get an email in the next few days.

If I sign up to BT or Sky, is there any cooling off period, could I change my mind?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • latecomer
    you should have a cooling off period but best to check. I have had decent deals from the cancellations team previously - it depends who you get and what you are looking for. Knowing what you can get from BT/Sky etc is important as the cancellation teams know whats on offer so there is no point making stuff up
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback