Any better instant access than Tesco 1.35% ?

2»

Comments

• Carolinemjs
    Carolinemjs Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you again Bowlhead. I'm 63 so maybe that limits my long term goals but I don't need this to be in cash. If you or anyone could point me to a starting point for investment funds that woulD be very helpful.
    I have protected growth bond with MetLife where I am guaranteed 90% of my original investment should the market fall. This is my 4th year and because most of it is in cash there hasn't been much growth (not sure if that's correct term), so this hasn't been any better than some of the low paying accounts. Beyond this I don't know where to start looking. I would prefer not to have to pay an advisor unless absolutely necessary!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    caroline

I'm a year older than you and have found this forum an excellent resource to start learning about investments. Our generation was brought up to save rather than spend, but for most people, that just meant savings accounts or cash ISAs :o. The problem with those, is that inflation eats away at your hard earned savings :( so you need to consider investments.

This is a website which is easy to understand as a newcomer.

http://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/

Have a read and please do come back with any questions.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bowlhead in the past week I've opened 2 Santader 123 accounts a Leeds Isa and 2 TSB accounts. I have piles of paper and frankly the prospect of opening more current accounts, needing to feed them, set up DDs etc and keep track is pretty daunting. My income at present is less than £200 pwk and I need to make what money I suddenly have work as hard as possible. For someone who only had a current acc with a couple of DDs previously its a lot to take on board and organize. I think I'm doing pretty well but I've still got about 20,000 to put somewhere?

If you already have a lot of cash stashed about the place, why not put future money onto pensions and S&S isas instead?
  • atush
    Thank you again Bowlhead. I'm 63 so maybe that limits my long term goals but I don't need this to be in cash. If you or anyone could point me to a starting point for investment funds that woulD be very helpful.
    I have protected growth bond with MetLife where I am guaranteed 90% of my original investment should the market fall. This is my 4th year and because most of it is in cash there hasn't been much growth (not sure if that's correct term), so this hasn't been any better than some of the low paying accounts. Beyond this I don't know where to start looking. I would prefer not to have to pay an advisor unless absolutely necessary!

In your case at age 63 and if still employed, pension would be the way to go.
  • Carolinemjs
    Carolinemjs Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have already used up my ISA allowance for this year and am not employed. However is there a way to use the money towards more pension?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Yes - you can make a contribution to a personal pension or a self-invested personal pension (sipp) of some minimum allowance, even if you don't have any income.

You can put £2880 into a pension in any one tax year and the pension provider will go and claim some cash from HMRC, leaving you £3600 in the pension. What you put in is 80% of the £3600 that will be sitting in the pension, so you have effectively got 20% tax relief (£720) on the £3600 asset that you now own, even though you might not even have paid £720 in taxes this year.

Then later when you come to cash out your pension (which should grow over time from £3600 to something bigger), you should be able to get the first 25% of it as a tax free lump sum and only pay your marginal rate of tax (e.g. 20%) on 75% of it.

Using this method the free money you get from the taxman on your contributions should be less than the tax you pay when taking it back.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks bowlhead.

This thread started out quite disappointingly but it's definitely getting more interesting. Think I'll investigate the personal pension or SIPP a bit more thoroughly. Any pointers you can offer, please?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    This thread started out quite disappointingly but it's definitely getting more interesting.
    The threads with people wondering if they can do better than a percent on their accounts are always a bit boring because there's about a billion threads talking about how you can get over 3% on 40k+ using current accounts ; and even the Savings page on the main site tells you you should consider current accounts, highlighting that you can park £20k per Santander account x2 accounts as a substitute for instant access savings.
    Think I'll investigate the personal pension or SIPP a bit more thoroughly. Any pointers you can offer, please?
    SIPP is self invested personal pension plan, most fund supermarkets allow you to set them up, with a wide variety of fee structures. Most people don't need SIPPs because they don't need to construct their own heavily tailored portfolio out of 30,000 individual investment options the world over. Still, many people set one up because they have heard about them in the media and then end up spending more money than they need for something quite basic.

If you just need to park £2-3k a year like Carolinemjs might, you can get a simple personal pension with a whole bunch of fund choices from one of several mainstream pension houses. You can check their websites direct to see what sort of thing they offer, but if you don't have an advisor you may save some money by accessing them through Cavendish Online who will get you in at a discounted price. The pension and fund management fee combined will be less than a percent of your pot per year and the percentage will go down if you have enough assets to reach various thresholds of funds under management.

Of course, this is nothing to do with the OP's question about alternatives for a Tesco 1.35% instant access savings account... so once you've researched pensions and investments more, if you read a bunch of threads here and on the Pensions forum and don't find the answers you need, set up a new thread with your questions and you'll get better responses.
  • atush
    Of course, this is nothing to do with the OP's question about alternatives for a Tesco 1.35% instant access savings account... so once you've researched pensions and investments more, if you read a bunch of threads here and on the Pensions forum and don't find the answers you need, set up a new thread with your questions and you'll get better responses.

Sorry but it was me that brought it up. But I had too, as if you dont have one, and you have cash sloshing about, it it sht place to put it.

And caroline could have used it to better effect if they had asked here before they left paid employment and were not restricted to 2880/3600 contribs.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    . . . Of course, this is nothing to do with the OP's question about alternatives for a Tesco 1.35% instant access savings account...
    Perhaps not but this thread has provided me, and hopefully others, with some food for thought.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure