Moving Virgin TV cable - how easy would it be?

We have a Virgin TV point downstairs at the back of our house which we no longer use and I would like to have a TV in my bedroom upstairs at the front of the house.
How easy would it be for us to move it ourselves? (Virgin quoted £65 to come out and move it!!)
The cable starts at the front and is wrapped around the outside of the house at the moment so there is plenty of cable to play with. I'm just worried about re-fitting the box inside and reconnecting the wires. Is it a DIY job?
Also, if it is possible, how easy would it then be to split the connection so that the other bedrooms can have Virgin TV too?

(Unfortunately we don't have an aerial point upstairs at all)

Comments

• It could easily be a DIY job the main problem would be getting the wire through the wall as the cable has a fixed screw socket thing attached which needs to be screwed into the back of the cable box.

I know Maplan sell all sorts of connectors for wireing and have found an adapter to split and join cable wires.

Give it a go at worst you will have to pay them if you camt find the addapter but Maplan is proberbly your best bet.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Moving the cable , disconnecting the box , then reconnecting is very easy. If you can wire a plug, you can move it.
    As to splitting ... can't help!
  • sorry mate but by the time u have brought this and that and messed around here and their its just easyer to pay the £65. Or the virgin cable that comes into ur property at the moment pull out and take it all the way back to the front of the house where the virgin box is on the external wall then run the cable straight up the wall drill through the wall but will have to be big enough to fit cable through bearing in mind it will have the silver end on it or u could cut it of but then u dont have the equipment to put enougher end on (its not the case of a normall tv ariel end) Or when u see a virgin man in the street ask him if he wants a private job i used to get lots of people asking me when i worked for them and most of the time they will say yes and will only charge half the price.
  • sorry mate but by the time u have brought this and that and messed around here and their its just easyer to pay the £65. Or the virgin cable that comes into ur property at the moment pull out and take it all the way back to the front of the house where the virgin box is on the external wall then run the cable straight up the wall drill through the wall but will have to be big enough to fit cable through bearing in mind it will have the silver end on it or u could cut it of but then u dont have the equipment to put enougher end on (its not the case of a normall tv ariel end) Or when u see a virgin man in the street ask him if he wants a private job i used to get lots of people asking me when i worked for them and most of the time they will say yes and will only charge half the price.
  • We have a Virgin TV point downstairs at the back of our house which we no longer use and I would like to have a TV in my bedroom upstairs at the front of the house.
    How easy would it be for us to move it ourselves? (Virgin quoted £65 to come out and move it!!)
    The cable starts at the front and is wrapped around the outside of the house at the moment so there is plenty of cable to play with. I'm just worried about re-fitting the box inside and reconnecting the wires. Is it a DIY job?
    Also, if it is possible, how easy would it then be to split the connection so that the other bedrooms can have Virgin TV too?

(Unfortunately we don't have an aerial point upstairs at all)

U dont need aerial points for virgin and if u want to start spliting them of upstairs into other rooms i would def ask some one if they want a privat job.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    if you upgraded to V+ downstairs, you can have the old box upstairs for £5 p/m extra.

We managed to upgrade to V+ box, free installation, XL Tv package, 2MB BB, telephone line with free weekend calls, free wireless router, hdmi cable & all for £31 a month (plus £5 for box upstairs)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure