PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Thursday 31st July 2014

donny-gal
donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 31 July 2014 at 11:33AM in Old style MoneySaving
:DThis is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?

Comments

• donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning
    Awake again, nothing further to say. Struggling to keep hands occupied to stop them scratching. Head too hot on pillow, so.better now sat up. Can't put a light on else will wake DH up.

((Hugs)),, Spoons, Positive vibes all round. Take care everyone. DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Oh D-G it must be so frustrating for you. Do go back to the Dr if it doesn't settle.

I had a restless night not much sleep :( pain from my gallbladder flared up again and lasted for ages :( It's settled again now so can hopefully get on with the day.

I have a few chores I want to catch up with as we were out for most of yesterday but apart from a bit of ironing there's nothing major to tackle. I need to make up some more bread for the BM and put a wash in the machine.

Dinner tonight is an easy one - steak and chips. Youngest DD likes putting the potatoes into the chip slicer so I will get her to help. I"m going to be having my salad as the steak can set off the gallbladder. It will at least be nice that I can eat properly again once this is removed!

I'm going to do a bit of decluttering this morning and hopefully add to the charity box. The less that's in our house the better. Dreading starting on the toy boxes though. There are so many toys everywhere.

Hope everyone has a hood day :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • Good morning DG and jlhmd666 and all who cross/follow :)

DG - did the rash start on your scalp? I thought it was affecting your neck/chest too or maybe I got that wrong. I am not very trusting of doctor's diagnoses but put that down to a very bad experience on my part. Hope it gets sorted soon x

hilstep - so lovely to "see" you here! x

Work this morning then DD to chiropractors in the afternoon. Thai yellow curry with special offer chicken for dinner.

Usual dash from me so will try and pop back later.

Well wishes for all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well and safe and have a lovely day.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Good Morning all.
    Just a quickie from me . DG and jlhmd get well soon. We had pizza last night as I forgot to get anything out of the freezer for dinner. DD got a job yesterday to she is on top of the world today.
    Found out yesterday that my new job will be turned into a duel role so I will be picking p some new skills soon.
    Right I had better walk the pooch.
    Hugs to all in need.
    Bright Blessings xx
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2014 at 6:50AM
    Good Morning :hello:, everybody. Another lovely, cool start to the day up here - what bliss!

donny-girl - have you tried soaking a face-cloth in cool water and lying down with it on your face for a while. It'll never get rid of it, but I just thought it might help relieve the 'burning/itchiness'. Hope you get some relief from it soon HSarmhugs_9780.gif.pagespeed.ce.ZrHk9uNPdQ.gif for you.
    hilstep - Congratulations on your 'new birthday' HSbirthdayck.gif - keep proving them docs wrong, girl :j.
    jlhmd666 - ooooh you've got more will-power than I have - I'm afraid that steak would get the better of ME :drool:. If I couldn't eat it, then nobody else in this house would be getting it either :rotfl:. Can you offer the kids a bribe to help sort out their toyboxes so you don't spark a revolution by chucking out some broken/useless but 'much-loved/treasured' piece of carp? I'm afraid I'd be a total coward and leave it till they're back at school and then chuck some of it out the day before bin day - but ask sympathetic neighbours for permission to dump a couple of things in their wheelie bins, so the kids can't retrieve them again :o.
    TTFTM - have a good day in work and best of luck with the chiropractor.
    lonewhitewolf - enjoy your new job - looks like a great opportunity for 'a learning curve' :j

Got a lunchtime visit yesterday from DS2 with dgs2 (age 12) and dgs3 (almost 6) - looking to borrow a suitcase for their hols next week. By the time they left, my goodies tin was looking rather empty :(. Will have to restock again but will leave it till they're safely out of the country :rotfl:. At least I got a lift into the CS .............. :T

Yesterday's shift in CS went quite well - though we were fairly quiet. We reckoned that everybody took kids/grandkids to see the Giants last weekend, and now they're skint :rotfl:. Plus there's a 'Fun Day' in one of our local parks this coming weekend - they could be saving their money for that as well. I DID come home with two bags of 'very mixed' embroidery threads and a feather duster - I think both of those can be called 'Old Style' ;).

Left there and went over to A$da for a 'calm-down coffee' and 'whoopsie trawl'. Did quite well -

2pks whole green beans - 25p per packet
    Allinson Granary loaf - 72p
    Square wraps - 60p
    Beef Lasagne well in date but damaged outer packaging - £1.00
    2 Garlic Bread - £1.00
    Cooked Ham - £1.15 (half price)
    Two large bags crisps damaged packaging but all present - half price.

Plans for today include
    • Have woken up without 'bed-head' for a change - so don't need to wash my hair this morning :T
    • Do packed lunches for OH and myself.
    • Full-day shift in CS.
    • Leave home a bit early - get bus down the road then walk up the hill to CS - no taxi today. Save some money PLUS get some exercise :j.
    • Remember 'Martin's Mantra' - I don't need it / I don't want it / I wont' use it!!!!!
    • Don't take my wally-trolley out with me - avoid A$da completely.
    • Pork Stir-fry with Oyster Sauce for us this evening - don't need to buy anything for it as I've got it all in fridge/freezer/cupboard

Hope everybody has a good day. Look after yourselves and enjoy your children/grandkids wherever you all are - luv Lilyplonk xx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all
    Work for me today, but I don't need to get there until 8 so it's a lazy start for me today.
    Nice to see you posting Hilstep, Molly, I hope you are ok. Mrs LW is it still hot where you are, is Docky coping ok. LWW congrats on DD getting a job, DG & Jlhmd666, hope you both feel better soon. LW I hope you & hubby are ok.
    I have washing on the line, the fish have been fed, shopping ordered, bank transfers done, DW loaded & that will have to do 'til I get home later.I have one small corner left to sort out & then I've finished my holiday jobs list, I'll probably do it tomorrow as I'll be knackered when I get home tonight.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning chums,well we had a great day out yesterday ,although it was very warm.We decided to go to Mersea Island with the boys 'crabbing' first.It was gorgeous there (and brought back a few memories as I ilved there back in the mid 1960s) Had a nice walk with the two dogs while Dd and kids went on the pontoon with the boys .Then we sat on the front and had our picnic .Then off we went to Tilbury Fort .It was quite good fun there and the boys enjoyed the small exhibition of war memorabilia.Then managed to get over 'Bettys bridge ' and back into kent without too much hassle (miracle really as its right close to lakeside and it was just before 5 :):):)

back at DDs at last to a nice large cuppa and a sit on the decking for a natter with DD
    Finally got home around 6.30 ,had a tepid shower as it was still warm (very refreshing :):)) and a chees omelette was more to my liking than my curry as it was quick and easy:)
    Curry will be eaten tonight for dinner ,so only have rice to make really so another easy-cook dinner :):)

DD has some workmen coming to insulate her loft today so i will be at her house all day so no spend day today either.I have worked out my menu's for the next fortnight and will shop this Saturday.

In the mail I received £9.00 of Mr T vouchers plus another £14.00 of reprinted ones which they said they owed me for 'unused vouchers' Find this odd as I never have had £14.00 unused ones ,but who am I to argue :):) so they will go into the voucher pile towards our holiday food. Thanks Tesco's every little helps :):):)
    Right time for a shower and breakfast then off to Dds for the day with the boys
    Have a good one whatever you may do.looks like another nice sunny day today .By the way the doughnuts turned out gorgeous ,so thaks whoever posted the recipe, far better than the one that came with the machine I think it was jlmd666 if so, cheers its a great recipe
    Onwards and upwards chums
    JackieO xxx
  • jlhmd666
    Lilyplonk wrote: »
    jlhmd666 - ooooh you've got more will-power than I have - I'm afraid that steak would get the better of ME :drool:. If I couldn't eat it, then nobody else in this house would be getting it either :rotfl:. Can you offer the kids a bribe to help sort out their toyboxes so you don't spark a revolution by chucking out some broken/useless but 'much-loved/treasured' piece of carp? I'm afraid I'd be a total coward and leave it till they're back at school and then chuck some of it out the day before bin day - but ask sympathetic neighbours for permission to dump a couple of things in their wheelie bins, so the kids can't retrieve them again :o.

[*]Remember 'Martin's Mantra' - I don't need it / I don't want it / I wont' use it!!!!!

I like the idea of putting things in neighbours bins so they won't find what the haven't played with in ages but simply can't get rid of if they spot it hovering near a black bag :rotfl:

I also like 'Martin's Mantra' and should practice it more then there wouldn't be so many toys - just swap the I for they :D
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Another bright beautiful day here got to drop dd at work this morning, day off for me :jso I will come home and have a good clean through from top to bottom, I also need to clean the fridge out (shopping coming tonight ) and do several loads of washing.

This afternoon I am going to sit and do sweet FA :D just maybe watch a film or read my book, I have two days off then working all weekend so need to make the most of them.

Hilstep nice to see you posting again xx

Have good days all xx
  • jlhmd666
    Glad you liked the doughnut recipe Jackie. We preferred that one as well. The one that came with the machine got the thumbs down from my lot :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport