Can I use someone else's Tesco clubcard vouchers?

Hello,

I have been given some Tesco vouchers, the money ones worth over £20. Question is can I use them instore without the associated club card checkout and does it ask for approval when you use them at self checkout?
Thanks

Comments

• consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My husband got a voucher after buying car insurance from Tesco. Since he doesn't shop ;) I took it with me when I next went but it was refused at the checkout. Maybe it flags up when they scan the bar-code. Didn't try it at the self scan but probably worth a try!
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • BillyB
    BillyB Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wasn't sure if at the self scan it would come up with approval needed, like it does when you buy alcohol and then they'd ask to see proof of I'd or something.
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    BillyB wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been given some Tesco vouchers, the money ones worth over £20. Question is can I use them instore without the associated club card checkout and does it ask for approval when you use them at self checkout?
    Thanks

Are these on the lines of week 1: £5 off £20 spend, week 2: £3 off a £20 spend etc, because I have used vouchers with a different name (given by family members) at the main tills. Just use them without a Clubcard so they cannot check they match up.
  • BillyB
    No they are the ones you get from points statement based on how many points you get, they are the ones worth £5 and £3 and just scan them and it takes the money off your total, I was given them by a family member and we have the same surname but the show the clubcard number as xxxx-xxxx-1234 on the coupon so wasn't sure if is be able to use them at self scan.
  • If you mean the blue ones which are for the points accrued over a period of time and are the big blue ones then no. Unless your lucky, most checkout operators asked for the clubcard when you use them and if you havnt got it they normally ask for another form of id which matches the name on the voucher(s). Edited just to say, you may get away with it if you have the same surname again dependant on the checkout operator at the tiem, unless you use self scan,
  • BillyB
    Ah I see thank you, Does it come up that approval is needed if you use them on self scan?
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    BillyB wrote: »
    No they are the ones you get from points statement based on how many points you get, they are the ones worth £5 and £3 and just scan them and it takes the money off your total, I was given them by a family member and we have the same surname but the show the clubcard number as xxxx-xxxx-1234 on the coupon so wasn't sure if is be able to use them at self scan.

If they were give to you by someone else in the family, for no problem, use their CC e.g. key fob.

With all the recent problems with fraudulent use of other people's vouchers, the Stores will taking more care with incorrect/no card use.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • sayahu
    sayahu Posts: 206 Forumite
    I requested extra keyfobs for family members on my account and they also have extra from their accounts so when we have vouchers we want to give each other we can also give the fob (although I leave mine with them on their keys which get used more then they use their own!).

Just borrow the fob / card as well.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've used these vouchers on the self service checkout before without scanning my Clubcard. They were my own vouchers but without an accompanying card there's no way to tell.

It just means you'll get no new points added to your account for the transaction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure